Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian Recalls 23,000+ Motorcycles for Possible Fuel Leak

Indian Motorcycle is recalling seven different models, amounting to 23,746 units, for an issue with a fuel rail that may contact other components and result in a fuel leak.

The recall pertains to the Chief Classic, Chief Dark Horse, Vintage, Chieftan, Chieftan Dark Horse, Springfield, and Roadmaster models, for the 2014 to 2017 model years (manufactured between April 15, 2013, to July 15, 2016).

Since leaking fuel could be ignited by a spark, resulting in a fire hazard, Indian filed a recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Indian will notify affected owners, and Indian dealers will install a bracket that will limit movement of the fuel rail, free of charge.

The recall is expected to begin this month, December 2016. Concerned owners may contact Indian customer service at 1-877-204-3697, and reference recall number I-16-03.

As always, the NHTSA is also available at 1-888-327-4236 and safercar.gov.

Source: NHTSA

·
Registered
713 Posts
My over/under number for the number of seperate threads started on this topic is 25......and I'll take the over.:eek:

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
You mean we needed yet another thread on this. One of the many others wasn't good enough? And if I stop looking just sure as heck someone will post something new and meaningful.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
How many threads did we have on the last "recall", the ECU Re-Flash, like 12 or 15? o_O

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Well at least we can get the numbers of Indian bikes sold now.............25K since 2014.............Chief series, that is.............
And 5K more in Scouts. This blows away previous estimates by people on this forum of 20,000 bikes a year...........blah blah
So thats 4 years of bikes here..........2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017..............
Makes a little over 6K units a year. I guess if Polaris does not release figures, then the NTSB sure will on recalls.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
With some of the inherent problems that both the Chief model's and evidently the Scout model's are having it is probably a good thing that Polaris Industries is not selling more Indians than they are right now. With the shoddy paint of the first couple, three years, the belt drive issues, the knocking in some of the 111 engine issues, air shock issues, electrical issues and so on. If more people had bought these bikes and became aware of these problems, maybe nobody would be buying them now.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Well at least we can get the numbers of Indian bikes sold now.............25K since 2014.............Chief series, that is.............
And 5K more in Scouts. This blows away previous estimates by people on this forum of 20,000 bikes a year...........blah blah
So thats 4 years of bikes here..........2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017..............
Makes a little over 6K units a year. I guess if Polaris does not release figures, then the NTSB sure will on recalls.
Three actual years of manufacture, you can't go by model year for number produced in a year. "(manufactured between April 15, 2013, to July 15, 2016)." So 39 months to be exact. Also, part of that argument about bikes per year is a distinction between sold in the USA (NHSA) and produced total (including for our foreign friends). Also 5K seems on the low side for Scouts. Still seems to be less than 20K a year though...

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Last recall for the EMC calibration was for how many Chiefs? 18,367 units

THE RECALL:Indian Motorcycle Company (Indian) is recalling certain model year 2014-2016 Chief Classic, Dark Horse, Chieftain, Roadmaster, Vintage and Chieftain Dark Horse motorcycles manufactured from April 15, 2013, to June 16, 2015. In the event of an engine misfire, unburned fuel may pass through parts of the exhaust system, raising the exhaust temperatures.

14s, 15s, and some 16s............so let us err on the caution side and just say for 2 years, OK? Thats just over 9,000 units per year. Far cry from 20K. These outsell the Scout probably 8 or 9 to 1 but lets give ther benefit of the doubt and just say 5 to 1. Fair? Thats ONE year of Scout production we can count here for 2015.............all related to the Chiefs numbers and no Scouts in 2014. So thats 1,800 Scouts per year. Far cry from 20K again.

What other way is fair? These huge numbers some dream of are just not there. Most stores sell less than probably 10 scouts per month and I would dare say that really most sell half that. The big stores in Daytona and Phoenix and Charlotte probably more but not killer numbers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So funny people teasing about too many recall threads.. Had this been an HD recall there would be 50 multi-page threads here with people making fun. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean we needed yet another thread on this. One of the many others wasn't good enough? And if I stop looking just sure as heck someone will post something new and meaningful.
Sorry, first time I'd seen this information. The site I stole it from said it was a new report. Maybe I should delete it then...

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I just glanced at a headline on one of the similar threads here. It said Harley Davidson recalls 46000 motorcycles. In another four or more years Polaris Industries will be able to have the same headline where Indian recalls 46000 motorcycles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No recall for my bike....

·
Rider
625 Posts

Not sure that these numbers reflect the accurate numbers of bikes made because my bike isn't affected by the recall

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
These outsell the Scout probably 8 or 9 to 1 but lets give ther benefit of the doubt and just say 5 to 1. Fair? Thats ONE year of Scout production we can count here for 2015.............all related to the Chiefs numbers and no Scouts in 2014. So thats 1,800 Scouts per year. Far cry from 20K again.
I agree it isn't 20K a year, but how do you figure on Scout sales, several sources including an interview with Steve Menneto cite it as their best selling model. It would make sense as the Sportster is Harley's and it is financially in reach for many more customers.

If you are going by what your friends have or who shows up to dealership group rides, realize demographics play a big part in that. You probably associate with a older, more financially established group who enjoys the comfort of the large bikes. Not younger, less affluent urbanites who appreciate the nimble handling of the Scout. Likewise those younger folks are less likely to participate in dealer events.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I agree it isn't 20K a year, but how do you figure on Scout sales, several sources including an interview with Steve Menneto cite it as their best selling model. It would make sense as the Sportster is Harley's and it is financially in reach for many more customers.

If you are going by what your friends have or who shows up to dealership group rides, realize demographics play a big part in that. You probably associate with a older, more financially established group who enjoys the comfort of the large bikes. Not younger, less affluent urbanites who appreciate the nimble handling of the Scout. Likewise those younger folks are less likely to participate in dealer events.
Outside of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally I have only seen one Scout out on the road. That was in Galena Illinois late this past summer. But you do make a good point, I'm in my mid-fifties and I no longer hang out at places that men and women in their twenties or even early thirties would routinely go to. And there may be a bigger representation of Indian Scouts at places like that.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sorry, first time I'd seen this information. The site I stole it from said it was a new report. Maybe I should delete it then...
No you did GOOD X this is a new one and thanks for posting, its the first I have heard of this one . The last recall for fire was a simple re- map , this one they need to install a bracket to stop the tank from shifting.
My question is where is the actual fire point ?. The reason I ask is my 16 cought fire under the seat ! Only briefly but it was enough to melt my battery tender cable and power harness cover . It was repaired under warranty but no one could figure out how it started. This may shed some light on that I hope.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Outside of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally I have only seen one Scout out on the road. That was in Galena Illinois late this past summer. But you do make a good point, I'm in my mid-fifties and I no longer hang out at places that men and women in their twenties or even early thirties would routinely go to. And there may be a bigger representation of Indian Scouts at places like that.
I am 68 and I personally prefer the performance and nimble handling of my Scout more than larger, heavier motorcycles I've owned in the past. When my wife rode pillion I enjoyed larger motorcycles like my Rocket III, Honda VTX1800 and Goldwing. Now that I'm older and ride alone a Scout really fits my wants better.

Cost is not a factor for myself and I'm sure it isn't for many other Scout owners...

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I am 68 and I personally prefer the performance and nimble handling of my Scout more than larger, heavier motorcycles I've owned in the past. When my wife rode pillion I enjoyed larger motorcycles like my Rocket III, Honda VTX1800 and Goldwing. Now that I'm older and ride alone a Scout really fits my wants better.

Cost is not a factor for myself and I'm sure it isn't for many other Scout owners...
I moved up to a bagger when I bought my Chieftain in 2014. With the kind of riding that I am doing at this point in my motorcycle riding life, going this route makes the most sense for me. At some point switching back to a lighter and more nimble bike will almost certainly be the best way for me to go.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts