Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this kit on Indian's website... it says it will not fit my bike, a 2017 Chief Dark Horse.
The description reads: "Install this Quick Release Kit on your model year 2019 or newer Thunder Stroke 111 to convert your saddlebags to have Quick Release technology. Add or remove your saddlebags within seconds and without tools."

What is new about the way a 2019 model mounts saddlebags? Will this really not work on a 2017?

Quick Release Kit | Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Looks to me like that kit retrofits the new bikes to have the same type quick release as is stock on the older ones. I know the 2015 Chieftains have that type retainer from the factory, and have assumed they all did till the 2019 model year. I think they got rid of the QR system to eliminate the complaints of people who lost saddle bags because they didn't get them seated properly. Now you can have QR but since it's an option that you have to purchase and install any issue is completely on you.
;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
They sure do look the same so my only guess is that the female diameter of the spool is different than previous years so maybe when you cinch down on the qr tab, they won't expand enough to keep tight or they are smaller and the male part won't go into the spool

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I was looking at this kit on Indian's website... it says it will not fit my bike, a 2017 Chief Dark Horse.
The description reads: "Install this Quick Release Kit on your model year 2019 or newer Thunder Stroke 111 to convert your saddlebags to have Quick Release technology. Add or remove your saddlebags within seconds and without tools."

What is new about the way a 2019 model mounts saddlebags? Will this really not work on a 2017?

Quick Release Kit | Indian Motorcycle
It probably says that because a 2017 Chief Darkhorse came without any saddle bags, ie., it won't work as the system assumes you have no bags or spools to attach the QR's too...

·
Founding member / silver
5,066 Posts
I wonder if these are for the Harley styled bags. I thought that I read they have different latching than the Indian style bags.

Interesting, when I put in 2018 Roadmaster, the site gave me a link to see which trunk they fit on??? I double checked that the writeup states they're for saddlebags.

·
Bronze member
2,164 Posts
Maybe they didn't do their listings matrix properly but it says they won’t fit my 2016 SF either.

So, maybe the QR have to be different due to the newer style hardbags.

WD./

·
Bronze member
2,164 Posts
Your 2016 SF is a quick release already, :)
Jim
Yes, I was trying to confirm if they were the same fittings, if they were they should say they fit my bike.

Pablo had stated he thought they might not be listed due to the model the guy had that did not come with the spools.

Kuryakin's site has a similar issue (or did have some months back) where items would say they only fit the RM when in reality they would also fit the SF.

WD./

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I
Yes, I was trying to confirm if they were the same fittings, if they were they should say they fit my bike.

Pablo had stated he thought they might not be listed due to the model the guy had that did not come with the spools.

Kuryakin's site has a similar issue (or did have some months back) where items would say they only fit the RM when in reality they would also fit the SF.

WD./
I think it is just a website snafu or algorithum logic on the website or something. The 2019 Chieftain Limited takes the same backrest as a 2017 Springfield. So that means the spool diameter is the same, thus the QR latches must be the same. It doesn't make sense any other way.

My advice would be to order them and see. He can always return them...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I

I think it is just a website snafu or algorithum logic on the website or something. The 2019 Chieftain Limited takes the same backrest as a 2017 Springfield. So that means the spool diameter is the same, thus the QR latches must be the same. It doesn't make sense any other way.

My advice would be to order them and see. He can always return them...
Not necessarily! The spool outside diameter could be the same but the inside diameter could have changed where this qr clamps go in to the spools. New bags are bolted on now so maybe that female diameter is smaller now

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Not necessarily! The spool outside diameter could be the same but the inside diameter could have changed where this qr clamps go in to the spools. New bags are bolted on now so maybe that female diameter is smaller now
That is possible with just the bolt, but, but, the OP didn't even tell us what bags he is proposing to put on the bikes. It just says 2017 Chief Dark Horse. So it would not have had any bags. So my question is what is he trying to install?

You can get the other spool kits parts numbers from part shark. I looked it up. So if he knows that he could order whatever he needs for which accessory he wants.

The outside diameter and spool bushings have the same names. As and example the 2019 says, Spool M8 7075 with one part number. The earlier ones say Touring 7075 with the a slightly differing part number. Bushings same deal. Slightly differing part number...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmmm interesting. Maybe M8 is the new size of the threading for the new style spools and 19 chieftains? So realistically both should work as long as he goes with all 19 parts or all prior year parts. He would just need to make sure he uses the bolt for prior years to mount the spools if he went with new bags if the spools are indeed different

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe, but am not 100% sure, but hard bags and leather MAY have different spools. Also, I believe the RM spools are or were steel and Chieftain spools, although same size are aluminum. I was told I didn't have to change my spools on my Chieftain DH when I added the trunk though? Any comments or corrections welcome.

·
Bronze member
2,521 Posts
You are correct... if you add a trunk to the Chieftain it is quick release and you already have the mounting spools... leather and hard bags do have different spools... also the strut cover is different..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts