Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2002 Indian Chief Deluxe. Yesterday when I started her up it sounded like there was a handful of gravel in the primary. I am going to open it up and take a look but I am nowhere near an Indian dealership. Is there an alternative for the Indian Primary Oil that I can use that may be readily available? Thanks in advance for your posts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can use just about any lubricant that catches your eye... the reason for the primary lube is to ensure heat transfer and to keep things cool and free flowing. I personally use ATF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Skip. I used my synthetic motor oil. My starter pinion bolt was completely loose. I tightened to specs, replaced the oil and it's rubber side down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How Much Primary Lube do You Put in a 2002 Indian Chief Roadmaster ?
I checked the manual, couldn't find How to check the level.
To the bottom of the clutch cover ?

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
You can use just about any lubricant that catches your eye... the reason for the primary lube is to ensure heat transfer and to keep things cool and free flowing. I personally use ATF.

Ouch .................?. ATF may not be the answer. Its probably the best refined stuff out there and will hold heat like crazy but usually its around 10W best. Use what you are using in the engine. Easier. And I like the ATF idea to a degree but not sure if I'd run it all the time. Just not heavy enough. But then again, its whats in Jeep and other truck transfer cases. Interesting ...............

·
Banned
5,398 Posts

Do it the third world way............a little oil does a little good and a lot of oil does a lot of good.

I used to remember what they took...............its just under a quart (?)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
To answer your question...get the bike level. remove the little inspection cover...the little round one with 3 allen head bolts in it. The primary oil should be just below the inner lip inside if you reach your finger in and down just a smidgen, you should feel oil. there should not be so much as to have it start running out when you remove the cover......and don't use ATF..Jesus christ whoever said that is beyond reasoning with. go to the nearest Harley store...yes god dammit I said Harley store and get some o9f their multi oil used in the engine and primaries and be done with it.

for christ sakes this isn't rocket science folks. simple maintenance.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Iv used atf and I know lots who have. Not sure it's the best but never had an issue. 20w50 motor oil is OK unless the weather gets cold.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
ATF was never recommended by Indian...ever. Why folks wouldn't use the recommended lube is beyond me, but to each his own. I had many, many trouble free miles, and always use the best lube I can get for the job.

Being that Indian never recommended it, I would not advise anyone to do so.......I'd recommend what the manufacturer listed as acceptable...and in this case..it wasn't ATF.

:)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had 3 Gilroy bikes...a 2001 Scout, a 2000 Chief and a 2003 Chief......so...I know a bit about Gilroy Indians.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Spectro Heavy Duty Chaincase Oil is a Good Choice but the Primary is not that Critical can use just about any oil you want as long as doesn't contain Friction Modifiers which is not good for a wet clutch ..

·
Registered
881 Posts
There are aftermarket oils for primary at various vendors. Try JP Cycles.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
of course the Harley oil isn't Indian oil. I think we can all agree on that. I have used the Harley oil in my primaries because it's good and works and is very close to what Gilroy was selling at the time........symantics.....or assholes. your choice. I gave good advice. Take it or leave it...at this point, I don't care.

·
Registered
881 Posts
So honestly, Harley oil is a much better product than Indian oil ? Castrol vs Shell ?
I think the question was for "another readily available primary oil". Does Castrol and Shell make a wet clutch acceptable oil? I really don't know.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I guess a guy could run the "new" Indian oil. It runs in the wet clutch. o_O

1 - 20 of 25 Posts