Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before purchasing my 15 Vintage, most every professional review I read commented on the lack of heat experienced from the engine. The 14 and 15 chiefs of the time, including mine, came stock with Indian's Oil Cooler. Beginning in 16, i believe only the chieftains and RMs maintained the oil cooler.

Recent articles comparing the 111 to HD's M8 107 note excessive heat from the right side of the 111, citing the M8 107's refined oil cooling system as the reason. (HD's M8 -107's are air and oil cooled, not liquid cooled like the Scout).

I've really not experienced any right side heat discomfort since I've owned the bike, as a single, or even now when pulling a sidecar. At 6', I do have shorter legs with a longer torso, and tend to ride feet toward the back, and still burn the pipe covers with my heels at times. I also wear thinner hiking pants that convert to shorts (careful - the pipe covers will burn a hole in these!).

I'd would like to get other's impressions as I have not ridden another Chief w/o the oil cooler.

1. Has anyone compared and noticed lowered engine heat radiating from the 111 when using the oil cooler?
2. Could the use of the Indian Oil Cooler potentially increase performance with a refined flash?

Thanks!

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
My 15 Chieftain came with an oil cooler, In 16 they removed the oil cooler from everything but the chieftain and RMs. Many have complained about the heat on the right side but as for me I have noticed it, mostly when there is no breeze and sitting still (Traffic) I do have to note that even that was reduced once I put the FuelMoto loads in. Seems to have cooled some of it down. I still have the Cat installed as I really dont see that as the major source of heat. I do think the oil cooler would eliminate a big degree of heat though.

·
Bronze Member
1,806 Posts
My 2014 chieftain with the oil cooler seems to run six to ten degrees cooler than my wife's 2016 Springfield without the oil cooler after we ride. (checked with a laser temp gun)

I'm unsure if it is the oil cooler that causes the discrepancy or possibly different engine tolerances, etc. that affect it.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
What anyone does is their business , but I went with Chieftain Dark Horse over the Springfield main reason being No Oil Cooler and living in Hot Humid FL if really had to have a Model without an Oil Cooler , it would become my first addition..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
What anyone does is their business , but I went with Chieftain Dark Horse over the Springfield main reason being No Oil Cooler and living in Hot Humid FL if really had to have a Model without an Oil Cooler , it would become my first addition..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, Jay...I installed the oil cooler on my Springfield today.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,217 Posts
Before purchasing my 15 Vintage, most every professional review I read commented on the lack of heat experienced from the engine. The 14 and 15 chiefs of the time, including mine, came stock with Indian's Oil Cooler. I believe they are again a stock item for one or more of the new RM's.

Recent articles comparing the 111 to HD's M8 107 note excessive heat from the right side of the 111, citing the M8 107's refined oil cooling system as the reason. (HD's M8 -107's are air and oil cooled, not liquid cooled like the Scout).

I've really not experienced any right side heat discomfort since I've owned the bike, as a single, or even now when pulling a sidecar. At 6', I do have shorter legs with a longer torso, and tend to ride feet toward the back, and still burn the pipe covers with my heels at times. I also wear thinner hiking pants that convert to shorts (careful - the pipe covers will burn a hole in these!).

I'd would like to get other's impressions as I have not ridden another Chief w/o the oil cooler.

1. Has anyone compared and noticed lowered engine heat radiating from the 111 when using the oil cooler?
2. Could the use of the Indian Oil Cooler potentially increase performance with a refined flash?

Please post a like or informative if you are curious - the more info this post attracts, the better. Thanks!
The biggest reason for the heat on the right leg is the location of the cat converter. It has noting to do with Harley's oil cooling system on the M8! Harley managed to move the cat further back in the exhaust system when designing the M8. Oil cooling for the Indians was pulled back to the fairing bikes due to the lack of air flow and extra air drag from those bikes. It is really no difference that what occurred on the Victory line. If you look at the original Victorys they got a big oil cooler. In later models even as displacement increased the oil cooler got smaller. It simply was not needed.

Now if you are pulling a side car I would definitely add an oil cooler if you 111 does not have one. The extra loading on the engine would definitely warrant such an add on. Dean

Reactions: Lokni
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.