Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
720 Posts
That explains the copyrighting on the name eFTR. So much for the speculation about competition for the Livewire (not that any competition was necessary...)

·
Silver member
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure hoping they are going to make a real eFTR, this is a rebranded toy.
They may still; maybe their waiting to see how the Livewire ultimately plays out.
To be honest; not sure if this is a rebranded toy or not - It was posted earlier today on Indian's Instagram page.

I just added the video to my original post. I thinks its pretty cool for young kids - the add said for ages 8 and up; Looked like it goes pretty quick in the video.

·
Silver member
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting; I think the Razor SX500 looks a bit more like it; maybe Razor's making them for Indian. Only speculation at this point but you're probably bang on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
$750.00 and max out at 175 lbs

Reactions: Kaz

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
I think it is a cool idea, even if it is a rebranded razor.

Harley have the whole "lifestyle" thing on lock, and it is a big reason for their past success. Even when folks talk about them struggling now, it is only relative to the past where over half of motorcycles sold over 600 cc were Harleys, most manufacturers, including Indian, would love to have their sales slump US bike sales numbers.

Which is why I think this is a great idea for Indian to reentrench their image into the next generation American psyche.

Look at this meme I found I have seen all over the internet of a more established product trashing a newcomer competitor. This particular one is Chevy vs Toyota trucks, but I have seen many variations on this "Because nobody grew up with (Newer competitor's) posters on their walls" theme.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

·
Silver member
5,309 Posts
Reactions: Kaz

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks cool ... but if there was a 125cc engine on it with a 4 or 5 speed would be a lot cooler . Young people are not buying bikes cas they can't afford any "cool" bikes never mind the insurance on a "cool" bike for anyone young . The Honda grom scene has exploded .....why , cas it's a "cool" bike that young kids can afford to buy new and learn there skills on / upgrade it on a budget . Indian would be killing the game with the young crowd if they came out with a mini ftr to compete with the grom

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
It looks cool ... but if there was a 125cc engine on it with a 4 or 5 speed would be a lot cooler . Young people are not buying bikes cas they can't afford any "cool" bikes never mind the insurance on a "cool" bike for anyone young . The Honda grom scene has exploded .....why , cas it's a "cool" bike that young kids can afford to buy new and learn there skills on / upgrade it on a budget . Indian would be killing the game with the young crowd if they came out with a mini ftr to compete with the grom
Not a bad idea, and they could use more of an entry level big bike, like a street FTR 750, but I think electric for kids is the way to go. It is simpler, they only have to worry about throttle and brake, not shifting gears. They, being kids, don't have a nostalgia for rowing their own or a particular engine sound, they just want to rip around and simplifying controls helps them do that. Also, less parts to break or fluids to worry about, can be sold for a lower price point, lots of advantages.

Like it or not, the future is electric. It may be in 10 years, maybe 20, maybe even 40 for a couple hold outs, but electric is coming. Even traditionalist companies that are associated with a certain engine layout like Harley and Porsche see the writing on the wall and are starting to get into that market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not a bad idea, and they could use more of an entry level big bike, like a street FTR 750, but I think electric for kids is the way to go. It is simpler, they only have to worry about throttle and brake, not shifting gears. They, being kids, don't have a nostalgia for rowing their own or a particular engine sound, they just want to rip around and simplifying controls helps them do that. Also, less parts to break or fluids to worry about, can be sold for a lower price point, lots of advantages.

Like it or not, the future is electric. It may be in 10 years, maybe 20, maybe even 40 for a couple hold outs, but electric is coming. Even traditionalist companies that are associated with a certain engine layout like Harley and Porsche see the writing on the wall and are starting to get into that market.
Honda grom is a 125cc street legal mini bike with a clutch that young kids and old guys love to mess around with ....it's not a big bike or anything the size of a ftr 750 ....I ment for the young crowd that's just old enough to get there licence not little kids , this e ftr for little kids is cool but that's not gona help them sell an affordable street legal bike to a 17 year old .... Indian does not have a cheap bike for the young crowd to buy , they missing a big gap in the market in my opinion .

·
Rider
565 Posts
And to think I spent more on my extended reach Indian saddle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
3,701 Posts
Honda grom is a 125cc street legal mini bike with a clutch that young kids and old guys love to mess around with ....it's not a big bike or anything the size of a ftr 750 ....I ment for the young crowd that's just old enough to get there licence not little kids , this e ftr for little kids is cool but that's not gona help them sell an affordable street legal bike to a 17 year old .... Indian does not have a cheap bike for the young crowd to buy , they missing a big gap in the market in my opinion .
When they can figure out a business strategy for it including manufacturing strategy that might make money they'll try it. They must be working on it in some form. I tend to think they will introduce a bike lower than the Scout within the next couple of years. Somebody on here must know more so ...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts