Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hershey, PA (March 10, 2014) The Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) Museum proudly announces its newest upcoming exhibit, Indian Nation: The Indian Motorcycle and America. This captivating exhibit comes to life with more than 22 Motorcycles on Friday, March 28th and continues to roar through October 24th, 2014.

The story of the Indian Motorcycle Company closely mirrors the history and attitudes of America. Indian was founded by two driven young men: George Hendee, an American bicycle racer and builder, and Oscar Hedstrom, a Swedish immigrant and machinist. The two first met in 1899, when Hendee took notice of a motorized bicycle that Hedstrom had modified. They developed a plan to form a company and produce their own “moto-cycle.” Indian was chosen as the company name, signifying an entirely American product and as a reminder of America’s pioneer tradition. Their combined ambition and genius pioneered the path of motorcycling in America and around the world. The Indian experience is one of exploring unknown territory, of pushing established boundaries, and of reacting against self-generated and external crises. The Indian Motorcycle Company witnessed both capitalism’s glory and greed, and understood dizzying success and painful failures. Indian has emerged as a tenaciously enduring symbol of America which refuses to be forgotten. The Indian legacy remains synonymous with freedom, power, and visual appeal. It embodies an ever-changing idea of what America was and continues to be.
This educational and entertaining exhibit presents the Indian motorcycle as both an aesthetic object (work of art) and as material culture (possessing meaning and a story). Indian Nation will also interpret the saga of Indian motorcycles through Indian’s history and responses to the Great Depression, World Wars I and II, and post-war American culture.
The stunning selection of rare and show-winning motorcycles on display will showcase early singles and twins, Scouts, Chiefs, and Fours. Some of the exhibit’s highlights include Harrisburg-area racer Bob Markey’s original 1940 Scout, a 1903 Indian—possibly the earliest original example of the marque, and immaculately restored machines of all eras. Included within the exhibit will be period dealer items and popular culture references.
Please join the AACA Museum this year in enjoying a celebration of some of the most beautiful and meaningful cultural objects created by America, in one of the world’s premier motor museums. This exhibit celebrates and commemorates Indian’s exciting re-entry into the marketplace this year.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Indian Nation: The Indian Motorcycle and America
March 28 – October 24, 2014

1903 Indian (u/r)
1906 Indian (u/r, former E. Paul DuPont bike)
1907 Indian (u/r)
1912 twin
1913 single
1916 4-valve single, board-track racer
1919 Power-Plus
1923 Chief w/sidecar
1928 Scout hill-climber
1928 Standard Scout
1934 Chief “bobber”
1937 Chief
1939 Four
1940 Four
1940 Scout racer
1940/41 Military Chief
1941 Sport Scout
1947 Chief 74cu in
1949 Arrow w/skis
1951 Warrior TT
1953 Chief
1957 Apache

Other display items:
1906 Thor engine w/stand
1906 Indian engine w/stand
1912 engine w/stand
1915 engine w/stand
1925 Prince engine w/stand
early racing poster
clothing (2 outfits) for manikins
collection of items from family-owned dealership

u/r = unrestored

·
Registered
733 Posts
Some place buried amongst the hundreds of pictures of my children at theme parks standing next to enormous rodents and thousands of family gatherings with cousins I never hear from any longer, there is a picture of my dad in a Western Union Messenger uniform. Yes, back then they wore uniforms and spoke english, but more importantly he is astride an Indian Motorcycle. Now I haven't actually seen this picture in years and my dad is someplace amongst the Universe, yet, this post reminded me of both. Museums do help us remember the past the good and the bad the great and not so great moments of human endeavor. Still every museum has some object or photo that will connect us to our own history. That picture of dad I refer to, probably planted the first seed of my facination with motorcycles. The connection to my dad reminds me how he never discouraged me from riding or surfing. My mother was convinced I was reckless, but dad somehow seemed to know why I did and do both. Museum exhibits can be just the thing that connects you to those memories and they are precious.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Indian Nation: The Indian Motorcycle and America
March 28 – October 24, 2014

1903 Indian (u/r)
1906 Indian (u/r, former E. Paul DuPont bike)
1907 Indian (u/r)
1912 twin
1913 single
1916 4-valve single, board-track racer
1919 Power-Plus
1923 Chief w/sidecar
1928 Scout hill-climber
1928 Standard Scout
1934 Chief “bobber”
1937 Chief
1939 Four
1940 Four
1940 Scout racer
1940/41 Military Chief
1941 Sport Scout
1947 Chief 74cu in
1949 Arrow w/skis
1951 Warrior TT
1953 Chief
1957 Apache

Other display items:
1906 Thor engine w/stand
1906 Indian engine w/stand
1912 engine w/stand
1915 engine w/stand
1925 Prince engine w/stand
early racing poster
clothing (2 outfits) for manikins
collection of items from family-owned dealership

u/r = unrestored
It would be great to see these in person, lots of history :)

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Hershey, PA (March 10, 2014) The Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) Museum proudly announces its newest upcoming exhibit, Indian Nation: The Indian Motorcycle and America. This captivating exhibit comes to life with more than 22 Motorcycles on Friday, March 28th and continues to roar through October 24th, 2014.
The story of the Indian Motorcycle Company closely mirrors the history and attitudes of America. Indian was founded by two driven young men: George Hendee, an American bicycle racer and builder, and Oscar Hedstrom, a Swedish immigrant and machinist. The two first met in 1899, when Hendee took notice of a motorized bicycle that Hedstrom had modified. They developed a plan to form a company and produce their own “moto-cycle.” Indian was chosen as the company name, signifying an entirely American product and as a reminder of America’s pioneer tradition. Their combined ambition and genius pioneered the path of motorcycling in America and around the world. The Indian experience is one of exploring unknown territory, of pushing established boundaries, and of reacting against self-generated and external crises. The Indian Motorcycle Company witnessed both capitalism’s glory and greed, and understood dizzying success and painful failures. Indian has emerged as a tenaciously enduring symbol of America which refuses to be forgotten. The Indian legacy remains synonymous with freedom, power, and visual appeal. It embodies an ever-changing idea of what America was and continues to be.
This educational and entertaining exhibit presents the Indian motorcycle as both an aesthetic object (work of art) and as material culture (possessing meaning and a story). Indian Nation will also interpret the saga of Indian motorcycles through Indian’s history and responses to the Great Depression, World Wars I and II, and post-war American culture.
The stunning selection of rare and show-winning motorcycles on display will showcase early singles and twins, Scouts, Chiefs, and Fours. Some of the exhibit’s highlights include Harrisburg-area racer Bob Markey’s original 1940 Scout, a 1903 Indian—possibly the earliest original example of the marque, and immaculately restored machines of all eras. Included within the exhibit will be period dealer items and popular culture references.
Please join the AACA Museum this year in enjoying a celebration of some of the most beautiful and meaningful cultural objects created by America, in one of the world’s premier motor museums. This exhibit celebrates and commemorates Indian’s exciting re-entry into the marketplace this year.
I didn't know that about Oscar Hedstrom - only makes sense now that the Scout's engine was designed in Switzerland?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for posting this Nick. That looks like a good chapter ride for my local IMRG. I will bring it up at this months meeting and work try to work it onto the schedule of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,867 Posts
Thanks for posting this Nick. That looks like a good chapter ride for my local IMRG. I will bring it up at this months meeting and work try to work it onto the schedule of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know how it goes........ all them chapter bikes, fit in a time machine to go back three years? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts