Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading some of the threads and topics regarding dealerships ans/or troubles with the manufacturer Kinda makes me wonder if I did the right thing by switching motorcycle brands... was always an HD person but really liked the looks and feel of the Indians so that’s why I switched... have to admit the lack of Indian dealerships made me a little uneasy but decided to roll the dice & make the change... so far I’m really enjoying my chieftain and not had any issues... guess time will tell if the lack of dealerships becomes an issue

·
Registered
982 Posts
after reading some of the threads and topics regarding dealerships ans/or troubles with the manufacturer Kinda makes me wonder if I did the right thing by switching motorcycle brands... was always an HD person but really liked the looks and feel of the Indians so that’s why I switched... have to admit the lack of Indian dealerships made me a little uneasy but decided to roll the dice & make the change... so far I’m really enjoying my chieftain and not had any issues... guess time will tell if the lack of dealerships becomes an issue

If you are enjoying the ride and haven't had any issues why look for a problem where there is none?

·
Founding member
1,752 Posts
Having also read those threads, this is something I've been thinking more about lately. I think a lot of Indian riders came from HD, and they are used to having a mega dealership as close as the nearest Starbucks or gas station. I came from metrics and before Indian was considering and probably would be on a Triumph had they not come back, so dealerships being few and far between is the "norm" to me.

Back when I rode a metric and hung around other metric guys, we used to joke there was a Harley dealership every 50 miles because that's the farthest a Harley would go without breaking down. I think back in the day there was some truth to that, but now all bikes, including HD are more reliable than before decreasing the need for dealerships. Then there are the other things traditionally provided by the dealership, parts, accessories and apparel, and for some, a community and group rides (see HOG, complaints on here about IMRG). As for parts, accessories and apparel, with the rise of the internet and online shopping with dirt cheap prices at places like Amazon and Revzilla, there is again, less of a need for a brick and mortar store. As for the community, I never saw the appeal of an insta-club any smuck with $50 extra dollars can be part of. If you want a sense of community, go out and find an RC or MC. If you want something less formal hang out at a biker bar, find a facebook group. If I'm doing a group ride, I care more about how the rest of the pack rides than what brand they ride, and an RC or MC will do a better job weeding out those who lack the skills to ride in a formation properly and safely.

So to me, its a non issue. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a Moto Guzzi if I wanted one, and they have a fraction of Indian's dealer network and poor reliability by modern bike standards, but I guess not everyone is adventurous as I am.

I have been thinking about this more lately like I said, and I will admit there is some convenience with a large dealer network. The issue is, I think even if Harley makes all the right moves, even without factoring in Indian stealing some of their sales, Harley will not be the titan of the motorcycle industry they are today for many more years to come. This has been discussed here and I'm sure elsewhere before as well, but there are a lot of market forces acting against them, changing demographics, tastes and interests, a changing economic reality, and I don't think they will go under, but I expect them to control a smaller share of a smaller pie. That probably means less dealerships in order for those dealerships to stay profitable. So it will be interesting to see how the industry reacts to this and if Indian continues to demand premium dealerships to get a franchise. What about warranty work? If Harley dealers close their doors, would the motor company consider allowing independent shops to become licensed to do warranty work, to convince customers to stay on? Would other brands follow suit? What about when the warranty expires, what will parts and aftermarket support be for these increasingly complex bikes?

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts

Do a search and you will see tons of these discussions over the years, every year there are more Indian dealers than the year before. When a dealer closes near someone they raise the red alert that the world is ending. Whats funny is two dealers just of past are closing with 4 more opening in the next couple of months.

And the issues people have are mostly due to loose battery connections that cause check engine lights. Loose battery connections are as old as motorcycles themselves, it is just now it effects the electronics pretty easily.

Some of the issues with earlier bikes have been fixed and resolved which shows dedication to the brand. Indian is Polaris shiny badge, and they are fully supporting it. Indian makes a fraction of the bikes that Harley and others make, thus fewer dealerships. But as the market share grows so will the dealers.

If you didn't know any better you would think that this forum was populated by millennial's and Gen Z with all the whining that goes on.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Having also read those threads, this is something I've been thinking more about lately. I think a lot of Indian riders came from HD, and they are used to having a mega dealership as close as the nearest Starbucks or gas station. I came from metrics and before Indian was considering and probably would be on a Triumph had they not come back, so dealerships being few and far between is the "norm" to me.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Do a search and you will see tons of these discussions over the years, every year there are more Indian dealers than the year before. When a dealer closes near someone they raise the red alert that the world is ending. Whats funny is two dealers just of past are closing with 4 more opening in the next couple of months.

And the issues people have are mostly due to loose battery connections that cause check engine lights. Loose battery connections are as old as motorcycles themselves, it is just now it effects the electronics pretty easily.

Some of the issues with earlier bikes have been fixed and resolved which shows dedication to the brand. Indian is Polaris shiny badge, and they are fully supporting it. Indian makes a fraction of the bikes that Harley and others make, thus fewer dealerships. But as the market share grows so will the dealers.

If you didn't know any better you would think that this forum was populated by millennial's and Gen Z with all the whining that goes on.
Agree except last paragraph. My guess is, talking to the local dealers, those whiney millenials are driving Scout and FTR sales, which in turn will assure the brands longevity. Cruisers and the 50+ crowd, not so much. Harleys failure to attract that demographic is a big part of their problem, contrasted with the KTMs and Ducatis that are absolutely kicking ass.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Agree except last paragraph. My guess is, talking to the local dealers, those whiney millenials are driving Scout and FTR sales, which in turn will assure the brands longevity. Cruisers and the 50+ crowd, not so much. Harleys failure to attract that demographic is a big part of their problem, contrasted with the KTMs and Ducatis that are absolutely kicking ass.

The majority of the FTR sales are going to Gen X and baby boomers. Scouts, yes they are going more to the younger riders because the price point is under 10K. And that is most likley why the Scouts have all the new options now available.

At the dealer meetings, the FTR was a disappointment due to the late release and large deposit cancellations. And they are all over dealer show rooms, not the unicorns people thought they would be. 3rd and 4th quarter will tell. Some dealers are selling them well. But the national average is not good.

And my last paragraph was nothing about sales, it was about the whining and entitlement that gets applied to millennial's that seems to be rampant on this and many other forums by the baby boomer and Gen X crowd. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black statement.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
The majority of the FTR sales are going to Gen X and baby boomers. Scouts, yes they are going more to the younger riders because the price point is under 10K. And that is most likley why the Scouts have all the new options now available.

At the dealer meetings, the FTR was a disappointment due to the late release and large deposit cancellations. And they are all over dealer show rooms, not the unicorns people thought they would be. 3rd and 4th quarter will tell. Some dealers are selling them well. But the national average is not good.

And my last paragraph was nothing about sales, it was about the whining and entitlement that gets applied to millennial's that seems to be rampant on this and many other forums by the baby boomer and Gen X crowd. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black statement.
I'm one of those who decided not to wait, used the deposit against a BMW R9T. And you're right, it will take a few quarters to see the impact; second quarter was just filling showrooms and some against preorders. We havent seen pull-through orders numbers yet.

I knew what you meant re millennials.

·
Bronze member
3,064 Posts
I came from Victory.... talk about dealers being light years apart.. you know what I decided to keep my first Vic.. my 03 Vegas (94K) is still with me... I've changed a starter... oil... brakes... tires... oh and batteries... that's it.. and that is why I went to Indian instead of Harley..

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I'm one of those who decided not to wait, used the deposit against a BMW R9T. And you're right, it will take a few quarters to see the impact; second quarter was just filling showrooms and some against preorders. We havent seen pull-through orders numbers yet.

I knew what you meant re millennials.
The BMW R9T will be a great bike all BMW`s I have owned handle so well, go like the clappers and are fun to ride. I would even say if I was not happy with my Indian for any real reason ,I would be jumping back onto the New BMW again .I have owned 4 over my years and loved each and everyone of them without any problems.

·
Rider
756 Posts

Back when I rode a metric and hung around other metric guys, we used to joke there was a Harley dealership every 50 miles because that's the farthest a Harley would go without breaking down. I think back in the day there was some truth to that, but now all bikes, including HD are more reliable than before decreasing the need for dealerships. Then there are the other things traditionally provided by the dealership, parts, accessories and apparel, and for some, a community and group rides (see HOG, complaints on here about IMRG). As for parts, accessories and apparel, with the rise of the internet and online shopping with dirt cheap prices at places like Amazon and Revzilla, there is again, less of a need for a brick and mortar store. As for the community, I never saw the appeal of an insta-club any smuck with $50 extra dollars can be part of. If you want a sense of community, go out and find an RC or MC. If you want something less formal hang out at a biker bar, find a facebook group. If I'm doing a group ride, I care more about how the rest of the pack rides than what brand they ride, and an RC or MC will do a better job weeding out those who lack the skills to ride in a formation properly and safely.

So to me, its a non issue. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a Moto Guzzi if I wanted one, and they have a fraction of Indian's dealer network and poor reliability by modern bike standards, but I guess not everyone is adventurous as I am.

I have been thinking about this more lately like I said, and I will admit there is some convenience with a large dealer network. The issue is, I think even if Harley makes all the right moves, even without factoring in Indian stealing some of their sales, Harley will not be the titan of the motorcycle industry they are today for many more years to come. This has been discussed here and I'm sure elsewhere before as well, but there are a lot of market forces acting against them, changing demographics, tastes and interests, a changing economic reality, and I don't think they will go under, but I expect them to control a smaller share of a smaller pie. That probably means less dealerships in order for those dealerships to stay profitable. So it will be interesting to see how the industry reacts to this and if Indian continues to demand premium dealerships to get a franchise. What about warranty work? If Harley dealers close their doors, would the motor company consider allowing independent shops to become licensed to do warranty work, to convince customers to stay on? Would other brands follow suit? What about when the warranty expires, what will parts and aftermarket support be for these increasingly complex bikes?
Dang Dude,, I came from Harley,, shops 4 blocks away. Now it’s Indian,, shops across the street. I go there in the mornings to have coffee and BS with all the “ I HAD A HARLEY GUYS “ . One thing the ol Harley guys have in common,,, we all miss our ol Harley’s but won’t buy another new one,. Instead,, we bought brand new INDIANS,,, AMERICANS FIRST MOTORCYCLE.. go figure ...

·
Bronze member
2,830 Posts
My early harley havent had an engine rebuild in 15 years.the panhead i sold my buddy over 20 years ago is still running.and they are ridden not parked.now twincams thats another story.thats why i ride an indian.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't had any issues where I urgently needed a dealership. The dealership I now use is about 70 miles from my house. I usually try to schedule maintenance on my days off and just wait for the bike.
It is a little unsettling seeing dealerships close but most closures I've seen were self inflicted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As long as you like your bike and you enjoy your rides, every thing is okay.
I'm part of one of the biggest IMRG chapters in Germany and most bikers have no big issues with the bikes. Most of the small issues could be solved under warrenty.
And we all are sure folks are posting the issues up to 90%, but if every things okay they are only posting this to 10%

·
Early joiner
152 Posts

Bullseye

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
last 6 months or so. seen a lot of post about new indian dealership opening up. Myself i was at point of either giving up riding or get an indian mc. was that p'ed off at hd..sick of their bs. I'm happy with my RM. i have prob about 300k riding on bikes. an prob would of been more piss if i did give it up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good posting and legit concerns as I and others here wonder the same thing, And what’s truly interesting is the HD challenges that lie ahead as so many here are aware of as well. The BIG MEGA AUTO DEALERS are the last hope for HD which is truly amazing what has changed in the last 10 plus years. If it wasn’t for the big auto dealers taking over HD stores then WOW the HD network would be possibly be a 1/3 or more less. So summing it up how much longer do the big auto dealers ride the losses and not eventually convert the HD stores into multiple brand products. And possibly force the hand to HD and become lol Indian and HD stores in one??? Wow how times of change are truly upon us.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Harley is under a great deal of pressure from investors to down size the company and make themselves smaller and leaner which will make them more efficient. If they don't investors will vote with their stock options and the the CEO will be replaced with one that see things the way the investors do.

Yes Polaris is a fairly large company but the Indian product line is fairly small and the current number of dealers does support the number of motorcycles sold .

Harley on the other hand has too many dealers and the market is over saturated with their bikes.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts