Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
After fine tuning the normal op range and getting very small corrections, I installed my Zipper maxflow intake today and ran one 20 min log here are the results, in the low load up to 4.5K with 2 slow ramps up to 6K

Craig, there has been a lot of effort put into the zipper intake by many much more experienced tuners than me (I do believe you have spent some time on this as well) in an effort to open the discussion to all who want to learn, i wanted to ask the following

During this log run and adjustment, i had the entire VE table at 14.7, what i heard and felt during this run was that anytime i brought RPM above 3750ish I could feel the engine not responding, and not a smooth, acceleration. I could hear a significant difference in the exhaust note as well, So my question is: to all who have the zipper maxflow or who have tuned the maxflow, I am guessing based on how the bike felt today that this intake will need to be coming out of closed loop at around 3750 rpm and ramping down to around 12.6 AFR in the high load and high RPM areas (perhaps even a bit richer) has anyone tried say 13.8- 14 AFR at 3800 or 4K and going richer from there?
I have a lot of dialing this in before I start figuring out the final AFR table, just throwing it open for discussion

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's the model I've been looking @ to replace my 10 year old laptop. I was thinking the 8, but the prices on the 7+ have dropped so I'm willing to not have "the latest and greatest." :)
I'm using a SP3 and it does the job. Tuning and tuning related internet browsing is all I use it for, so I was happy to only pay $150. If your replacing a computer though it's probably worth it to buy the newest. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2017 CDH , BBK stage 3
94 Posts
@Wilyumz1 :

Put the AFR at 14.7 on the whole table requires a correction of the spark advance, because a poor mixture (14.7) burns more slowly than a rich mixture, and it is therefore necessary to increase the advance. This is undoubtedly the reason why the engine has trouble accelerating. Not to mention that a bad combustion leads to reading errors with O² sensors.
The AFR and the spark advance are closely linked and one does not modify one without adapting the other ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
After the 3rd pass I made with the MAF correction, i rode, logged, ran VE/IPW and ICF corrections and took it back out for a rip, and the responsiveness, smoothness and the sound are the best they've ever been. It's a got a nice even mean sound all through the RPM range under any amount of acceleration, no decel popping, but still has that throaty low rumble as the RPM drop. Still plan to do at least 1 more MAF correction, it really seems to be pulling the other aspects of the tune together in harmony. @CraigB1960 What else have you got planned for the tuning blog?
2018 Chief Dark Horse 111
stock ac, punched out factory mufflers, iridium plugs

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
Damn !!! Put the factory afr table back in with what is now 5 correction cycles after installing the maxflow, and went for a ride, and to quote robin, holy shit Batman !! This thing pulls like a freight train and smooth as glass. Tried to shift at 8k but it goes up so fast I hit rev limiter twice 😬

·
Registered
2015 Indian Chief Vintage
21 Posts
I’ve done the first few logs and corrections for mass airflow and am trying to hit as much of the table as I can with expanded afr but seem to be fallowing the same basic pattern of cells. What is a realistic expectation of cells to hit since the map table isn’t based off load like VE? And any suggestions on ways to hit more cells? I’ve varied rpm by running different gears at various speeds and hit hills ect.

·
German rider
852 Posts
I’ve done the first few logs and corrections for mass airflow and am trying to hit as much of the table as I can with expanded afr but seem to be fallowing the same basic pattern of cells. What is a realistic expectation of cells to hit since the map table isn’t based off load like VE? And any suggestions on ways to hit more cells? I’ve varied rpm by running different gears at various speeds and hit hills ect.
To hit more cells I used the rear brake to stay in nearly the wanted rpm range while twisting throttle.
Doing in that way as the brake pressure must increase like the load increases by throttle to stay (arround) that rpm I wanted.
At first, it was not easy, but it's the same interplay of throttle and clutch as you do now with throttle and right foot
(Good for learning 'Friction Zone' handling also)
The brake gets warm, so I didn't do it too many times in a row, and used higher gear.
It was difficult to be careful not to leave the closed loop when accelerating. That's why I expanded the closed loop area on the AFR tables for the short test drives.
So I covered a lot of load values over the rpm range. These load ranges may not be reached during normal driving but it helps in adjusting the field around regular driving area cells overall.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
Mass Airflow through throttle body adjustments

Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Computer

Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Software

made a couple runs and adjustments with MAP disabled, did the driveway logs and adjustments (2) then 1 normal AFR. followed by an expanded AFR run, this is the result from the changes on expanded AFR

first pic is % second is actual values changed I'll put these changes into my base 6 tune and run it a few days before I go in and adjust anything else (I suspect the 2250 -2500 range is still off and I did not get good data in that range)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Craig
Wow, what an incredible blog of your vast experiences you share with us. (y)(y)(y) Appreciate all who are starting or have started tuning an Indian. So many basics to understand what tuning involves and how it works. Thank you so much for this. I can half judge how many days you spent on this. Even I with my Victory can "handle" some new input.

Best regards and thanks again.

Andreas

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
quick update and a question for Craig,

Ran a few logs and corrections this morning and w a very few exceptions i had VE table corrections under 1% in 90 % of the expanded AFR table (entire table at 14.7) a few random spots at low rpm and low load correcting at 2%, and the same with a few cells in high rpm high load (5K-8.5K from 75-104 kpa) I'll run one or 2 more logs and corrections just to verify where I'm at now is accurate and didnt miss any cells, then go back to factory AFR tables with a couple slight mods targeting 12.6 at WOT in high load ranges.

Question for Craig B, any insight on timing and AFR adjustments on the scouts where we do not have knock sensors to see if any detonation is occurring?

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty
29 Posts
So I took a crack at tuning the Mass Flow Through Throttle Body. After the initial correction plus 4 more logs, I started the bike today and it seems like it wants to die out at idle after a cold start. Then I went to take off in 1st gear and stalled (which I don't usually do of course). Here are the corrections that it made. Notice it took a lot out in the idle range:

Rectangle Font Music Parallel Pattern

I went back and looked over the logs I recorded with the failed MAP sensor and they all seemed to have this big spike at the beginning of the run (this is in idle range). I wonder if that is what is throwing off the corrections and causing it to over-correct maybe? I was going to try to trim off the spike at the beginning of my run and try again, but the WInpep8 software has the trim button (and the rest of the edit section) grayed out? I contacted DynoJet to see why I can't access the trim feature, but I haven't heard back yet.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Well I was being stupid. The trim function is very easy to use. You just have to select the run you want to trim at the very top in the File View lol

View attachment 702958
Big spike might be there because the engine is in enrichment mode, and will stay in that mode until you get a mile or so on the engine and it is above 180 degrees. It is not enough for the engine to be hot, it has to roll down the road too. This mode is on at each start, regardless of engine temp. I believe Polaris does this to keep the mixture rich if you have it sitting there idling for a long time.

The thing that fools the tuner is the Fuel Trims are active and the requested AFR is 14.7, though if you have widebands installed, you will see the mixture is not in closed-loop 14.7:1.

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I am getting a couple more videos and posts perpared this weekend. They will deal with some of the fuel settings, idle settings, injector settings, and knock sensor. I will then be starting the detailed discussion on timing and modifications to those tables.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts