Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty
29 Posts
For those with Scouts, how do you like to set your Drive By Wire settings? I haven’t started messing with it yet, but the stock settings (for the Scout Bobber 60 at least) seem very conservative, similar to the touring modes on the bigger bikes. At 10% twist, it’s only putting out 2% torque. At 25% - 6.9% torque, and at 50% still only 18.5% torque. Even at 90% it’s only up to 66% torque. The 3rd and 4th gear settings are set even lower.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
For those with Scouts, how do you like to set your Drive By Wire settings? I haven’t started messing with it yet, but the stock settings (for the Scout Bobber 60 at least) seem very conservative, similar to the touring modes on the bigger bikes. At 10% twist, it’s only putting out 2% torque. At 25% - 6.9% torque, and at 50% still only 18.5% torque. Even at 90% it’s only up to 66% torque. The 3rd and 4th gear settings are set even lower.
I haven’t touched my DBW settings yet, I can say when I tuned my dodge I learned very fast you can make your ride miserable to drive if you get to aggressive, it doesn’t actually do anything for torque or power just makes the grip sensitive and can easily become too sensitive

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Just a reminder for the Scout tuners. Only adjust the primary DBW curves and leave the ceiling curves stock. If you do adjust the ceilings, the engine will go into limp mode while riding and when you least expect it.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
another set of screenshots, expanded AFR tuning today, normal op range really coming in now and I'm getting the high load areas dialed in bit by bit, added a screenshot of what my VE table currently looks like as well have a little more work to do in the 55kpa - 95 kpa range but progressing nicely

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electronic device
Photograph Light Rectangle Font Screenshot

Font Screenshot Rectangle Line Software
Colorfulness Photograph Light Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Craig,

Can you explain the reasoning behind "Main Target AFR" changes that were made to the Scout 60 table that you provided me? I noticed it is taken out of closed loop in the 0.76 RPM column, and also most of the 12 and 15% load row. Is it more efficient to have a specified AFR in those ranges as opposed to closed loop operation? Or should I expand the closed loop to include those portions when I am tuning?

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Line Font

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Hi Craig,

Can you explain the reasoning behind "Main Target AFR" changes that were made to the Scout 60 table that you provided me? I noticed it is taken out of closed loop in the 0.76 RPM column, and also most of the 12 and 15% load row. Is it more efficient to have a specified AFR in those ranges as opposed to closed loop operation? Or should I expand the closed loop to include those portions when I am tuning?

View attachment 699241

View attachment 699242
Your idle is set to 1100 RPM's. The cells I set out of closed-loop are cells typically seen in deceleration, so you want to enrichen those cells to help reduce decel exhaust popping. For the purposes of tuning, you can set those cells back to 14.7 (putting them into closed-loop). However my tuning equation will ignore any corrections done when the ECU is in deceleration.

Edit: If your exhaust is not real open and you do not have decel popping, then leave those cells at 14.7, it will not hurt anything either way. The way to see where you are on the Target AFR (and VE and other fuel tables) is to Enable Cell Trace in C3 module when a log is opened in the Data Center. As you scroll along in Data Center, a highlighted cell will track the appropriate tables in C3. This way you can tell exactly what the ECU is operating on with regards to the data. This is a great way to zero in on problem cells, especially when performing timing modifications.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Beginner here that has NOT read through all 7 pages and only just begun to read Craig's amazingly helpful blog. I have a tune that I am not happy with. Bought a 2019 with 116BBK that did not have a tuner. Dealership convinced me to add the tuner dj3.
My question is - what did I buy?
I'll offer my 2 cents, as the tune that I bought was Terrible - looking back on it.
Don't be discouraged as it IS fixable. True, there's a great deal to learn! My advice is to read all 7 (now 8) pages of this thread, all the posts and videos on Craig's blog, and then you'll be ready to dig in. Also, there's a great support network here that will help you along the way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your idle is set to 1100 RPM's. The cells I set out of closed-loop are cells typically seen in deceleration, so you want to enrichen those cells to help reduce decel exhaust popping. For the purposes of tuning, you can set those cells back to 14.7 (putting them into closed-loop). However my tuning equation will ignore any corrections done when the ECU is in deceleration.

Edit: If your exhaust is not real open and you do not have decel popping, then leave those cells at 14.7, it will not hurt anything either way. The way to see where you are on the Target AFR (and VE and other fuel tables) is to Enable Cell Trace in C3 module when a log is opened in the Data Center. As you scroll along in Data Center, a highlighted cell will track the appropriate tables in C3. This way you can tell exactly what the ECU is operating on with regards to the data. This is a great way to zero in on problem cells, especially when performing timing modifications.
Thanks for the insight! I haven’t had any decel popping issues yet, so I’ll try setting them to 14.7. If any popping issues develop I’ll change them back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For anyone interested, DynoJet sent me a canned tune for aftermarket air intake and slip-ons. I noticed that they changed the Drive By Wire values, and I thought they looked pretty good. They are increased very slightly in the first 50% of the throttle, so it should still allow for for more precise control in that region, but it ramps up and get more aggressive as you twist further. I tried it out when I was taking some logs today and I thought it felt good. Interestingly, they DID change the ceiling values too. I changed them the same way they did, and I didn't have any issues, but like Craig said - if it causes any limp mode errors, then try changing them back to stock (or just leave them to begin with). Here are the values if anyone wants to try them:

Atmosphere Rectangle Font Technology Parallel

Water Azure Rectangle Font Display device

Rectangle Font Display device Electronic device Technology

On another note, DynoJet sent me a tune for my ECU when I first got the PV3 (since my ECU says no available tunes on their website), and I was surprised to find that their tunes do not correct the throttle limiter issue in Scout 60s! So they leave the factory "detune" in place where it severely limits torque, especially as you start getting up towards 6k (but it looks like it limits torque across the whole RPM range and ramps up). I emailed about it and asked if they could supply any tunes for my ECU with this issue fixed, and they sent me 2 new tunes - stock and after market air intake+slip-ons, and they still had the factory detune! Apparaently, they are not aware of the issue with the Scout 60 throttle limiter, or at least they never fixed it with tunes for my particular ECU. Just a warning, if you are using their tunes as a base, make sure to check those!

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
For anyone interested, DynoJet sent me a canned tune for aftermarket air intake and slip-ons. I noticed that they changed the Drive By Wire values, and I thought they looked pretty good. They are increased very slightly in the first 50% of the throttle, so it should still allow for for more precise control in that region, but it ramps up and get more aggressive as you twist further. I tried it out when I was taking some logs today and I thought it felt good. Interestingly, they DID change the ceiling values too. I changed them the same way they did, and I didn't have any issues, but like Craig said - if it causes any limp mode errors, then try changing them back to stock (or just leave them to begin with). Here are the values if anyone wants to try them:

View attachment 699445
View attachment 699446
View attachment 699447

On another note, DynoJet sent me a tune for my ECU when I first got the PV3 (since my ECU says no available tunes on their website), and I was surprised to find that their tunes do not correct the throttle limiter issue in Scout 60s! So they leave the factory "detune" in place where it severely limits torque, especially as you start getting up towards 6k (but it looks like it limits torque across the whole RPM range and ramps up). I emailed about it and asked if they could supply any tunes for my ECU with this issue fixed, and they sent me 2 new tunes - stock and after market air intake+slip-ons, and they still had the factory detune! Apparaently, they are not aware of the issue with the Scout 60 throttle limiter, or at least they never fixed it with tunes for my particular ECU. Just a warning, if you are using their tunes as a base, make sure to check those!
And I would not change the ceilings from stock. It will crap on you when you need the throttle the most!

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
2nd pass is looking better. Not sure what target numbers should be here, but my bike ran pretty good and never died with the failed map. I just saved the tune, we'll see how it runs after I flash.

View attachment 699932
Excellent! It is showing that it needs more fuel in the idle through low RPM/load range. Yours being a stage 1, not sure what your factory calibration base is (stock?), this makes sense. That is good it is running okay for you. The ones that are tougher are say TS111 with 558, 585, stage 3, or Hanson cam in them. Then it is a little more challenging to tune in this table. Tuning in this table will make a difference.

Try if you can to ramp up in the higher RPM/Load regions, but make sure you put your Target AFR table into the expanded range so you get data. Otherwise you will not be able to tune above 3.75k RPM. When you are tuning in the expanded closed-loop area, be sure to ramp up the throttle slowly so the ECU has time to make fuel corrections.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent! It is showing that it needs more fuel in the idle through low RPM/load range. Yours being a stage 1, not sure what your factory calibration base is (stock?), this makes sense. That is good it is running okay for you. The ones that are tougher are say TS111 with 558, 585, stage 3, or Hanson cam in them. Then it is a little more challenging to tune in this table. Tuning in this table will make a difference.

Try if you can to ramp up in the higher RPM/Load regions, but make sure you put your Target AFR table into the expanded range so you get data. Otherwise you will not be able to tune above 3.75k RPM. When you are tuning in the expanded closed-loop area, be sure to ramp up the throttle slowly so the ECU has time to make fuel corrections.
I definitely could notice the difference riding this morning. Will do my next logs with the expanded AFR table and hit more cells.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
Took a nice ride through the winding steep roads through wildcat canyon today, focused on the very low RPM Normal op range up to 55 -60 KPA, with a few opportunities to get into higher rpm, love how this is coming yes, I'm picky as hell, and could smooth the VE table between hard data points when I miss them, but I like this and the challenge of hitting specific cells lmao,,, Intake will go on in the next few days, and I get to start again (y)
Light Font Rectangle Screenshot Line

Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Software

Light Rectangle Slope Screenshot Line

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Took a nice ride through the winding steep roads through wildcat canyon today, focused on the very low RPM Normal op range up to 55 -60 KPA, with a few opportunities to get into higher rpm, love how this is coming yes, I'm picky as hell, and could smooth the VE table between hard data points when I miss them, but I like this and the challenge of hitting specific cells lmao,,, Intake will go on in the next few days, and I get to start again (y) View attachment 700027
View attachment 700028
View attachment 700026
Looking good! The idle though 2k needs a little more work. I like to find empty parking lots (church lots work well on off days) and putt around in 1st and 2nd gear. I then find a nice long flat road and get into 5 and 6 gear at below 2k range (again just putting along and not lugging the engine). Doing these two things really gets that area dialed in nicely.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
first shot at air flow through throttle body massive !! I have to say for any who say no tune needed for just an exhaust swap,,,, NOT TRUE!!! this RPW moves some air !

Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Slope

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
first shot at air flow through throttle body massive !! I have to say for any who say no tune needed for just an exhaust swap,,,, NOT TRUE!!! this RPW moves some air !

View attachment 700057
Your exhaust especially! It has more impact then the air cleaner.

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
1,236 Posts
this is a SP 7+ got a good deal on a new one with keyboard and pen at Best buy about 3 months ago on sale for 549
That's the model I've been looking @ to replace my 10 year old laptop. I was thinking the 8, but the prices on the 7+ have dropped so I'm willing to not have "the latest and greatest." :)

141 - 160 of 201 Posts