Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hopefully late this evening. I have been distracted with other tuning stuff and want to make sure the info is readable and accurate.
Cool, thank You! and for anyone else, here the donation link for Craig from the tuning blog, money speaks louder than words in a thank you. Donate to [email protected]

·
Registered
2015 Indian Chief Vintage
21 Posts
quick couple of questions:
First off I’m on a 2015 TS111 stock w open pipes and header de cat. the base tune that I’ve been tuning from is your improved stock tune

“I would also bump up the higher RPM/Load area in the VE table that you just tuned by 3% to provide some margin for gas. (The area that is 4K and above RPM and 50% load). This also compensates for the narrowband being used for tuning.”

I haven’t seen that recommendation on your videos or blog (I may have just missed it). Is that a universal or was is specific for that user or when tuning from the stk file?

also looking over the mass air flow info as it seems to be a process that requires a bit more caution can it be done in parts like the previous process ie load map kill tune-take a log-load the equation-copy the modified table to the ride tune for normal riding- flash new ride tune-ride. Or do I need to make sure I can dedicate the time to get it completed before doing any normal riding?

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
quick couple of questions:
First off I’m on a 2015 TS111 stock w open pipes and header de cat. the base tune that I’ve been tuning from is your improved stock tune

“I would also bump up the higher RPM/Load area in the VE table that you just tuned by 3% to provide some margin for gas. (The area that is 4K and above RPM and 50% load). This also compensates for the narrowband being used for tuning.”

I haven’t seen that recommendation on your videos or blog (I may have just missed it). Is that a universal or was is specific for that user or when tuning from the stk file?

also looking over the mass air flow info as it seems to be a process that requires a bit more caution can it be done in parts like the previous process ie load map kill tune-take a log-load the equation-copy the modified table to the ride tune for normal riding- flash new ride tune-ride. Or do I need to make sure I can dedicate the time to get it completed before doing any normal riding?
The 3% is not on my blog yet. Those are the little details I plan to add on more advanced aspects of tuning. I sometimes do it and sometimes I don’t. Some times I enriching the Target AFR table in that area a little more then 12.5:1. Point is, I rather you be a little rich in the power band area, it will not hurt anything.

You can do the Mass Flow tuning in sessions. Do one and reset the MAP value to stock after you run the equation. Then flash the tune and ride or tune the VE/IPW tables. Your choice.

The biggest problem with tuning this table with narrowbands is making sure you are not recording logs while the ECU is in enrichment mode. This will totally screw up your startup and idle while warming up.

Tuning in sessions is very true for the VE/IPW tables when the Target AFR is expanded too. At anytime, just restore the Target AFR table to reasonable values, flash and ride.

This is the beauty of tuning your bike, you know where you are in the process and can break off tuning if needed, ie taking a trip, going out riding leisurely, etc. nothing is lost since every cycle just builds on the last, so whatever you got, is better then when you started.

·
Registered
2015 Indian Chief Vintage
21 Posts
Thank you for getting back so quickly

the improved stock file I’m building on has a modified AFR table I’ll continue to fallow along with the process then and compare it to the file you sent me to start with as we go

Sessions are exactly how I had to do the other tables as life demands sometimes (3 daughters somebody help me). I am glad to hear I can do so with the mass air flow tuning as well.

I think we are all in a better place with our bikes than when we started thanks to you sir

once more thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge with us

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for getting back so quickly

the improved stock file I’m building on has a modified AFR table I’ll continue to fallow along with the process then and compare it to the file you sent me to start with as we go

Sessions are exactly how I had to do the other tables as life demands sometimes (3 daughters somebody help me). I am glad to hear I can do so with the mass air flow tuning as well.

I think we are all in a better place with our bikes than when we started thanks to you sir

once more thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge with us
I just did the idle to 3k part of the MAF tune (actually about 3200) in my garage after 5-6 minutes of idle applied the corrections and restored the rest of the tune. I did it before work yesterday and then rode in like usual. Still have to find the right time to go safely log the next stage of the MAF tuning. I have a new tune ready for MAF log, and another for expanded AFR on deck in case I want to log for those corrections , and one for regular riding that’s tried and true I can always revert to after logging in case I just want to ride.

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I just did the idle to 3k part of the MAF tune (actually about 3200) in my garage after 5-6 minutes of idle applied the corrections and restored the rest of the tune. I did it before work yesterday and then rode in like usual. Still have to find the right time to go safely log the next stage of the MAF tuning. I have a new tune ready for MAF log, and another for expanded AFR on deck in case I want to log for those corrections , and one for regular riding that’s tried and true I can always revert to after logging in case I just want to ride.
Nice! How off was the table in that area?

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Dark Horse. 116BBK Stage 3. Cams. Air Ride. Tuner. Tuned file from CraigB1960
83 Posts
Beginner here that has NOT read through all 7 pages and only just begun to read Craig's amazingly helpful blog. I have a tune that I am not happy with. Bought a 2019 with 116BBK that did not have a tuner. Dealership convinced me to add the tuner dj3.
My question is - what did I buy?
What I mean is, I have the device that I can plug into my bike (the dj3) and load tunes. When I go on DJ website, it looks like I need to buy a subscription in order to gain access to a tune? Was that not included with the dj3?

I understand that I have more reading to do here, but can someone dumb down what I purchased? The Indian Shop just loaded a tune in, they did not do any real world ride test and adjustments. I just wanted to see what was out there available for tunes but I cannot get anything to come up on the software I downloaded to my pc or on their website.

Also there is a USB drive that I have yet to look at. Lazy or dumb, I know, I just forget about it every time I get home. I need to pull that out and see whats on it. I am going to guess maybe its the tune files? It is in the dash compartment on the bike.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
565 Posts
Beginner here that has NOT read through all 7 pages and only just begun to read Craig's amazingly helpful blog. I have a tune that I am not happy with. Bought a 2019 with 116BBK that did not have a tuner. Dealership convinced me to add the tuner dj3.
What I mean is, I have the device that I can plug into my bike (the dj3) and load tunes. When I go on DJ website, it looks like I need to buy a subscription in order to gain access to a tune? Was that not included with the dj3?

I understand that I have more reading to do here, but can someone dumb down what I purchased? The Indian Shop just loaded a tune in, they did not do any real world ride test and adjustments. I just wanted to see what was out there available for tunes but I cannot get anything to come up on the software I downloaded to my pc or on their website.

Also there is a USB drive that I have yet to look at. Lazy or dumb, I know, I just forget about it every time I get home. I need to pull that out and see whats on it. I am going to guess maybe its the tune files? It is in the dash compartment on the bike.
The usb is from Indian, nothing to do with the tune.

The device should be a PV3, depending who they sourced it from would tell you more. But on the device it should have a .stk file. AFTER you’ve read through Craig’s blog and done the test / practice work, then you’ll have a much better understanding and can create your own from that .stk file

·
Registered
53 Posts

Welcome to the group. You have lots to learn here. There should be a login associated to the pv3 and bike, they get married when first connected. That info may be on your drive, and once you sign in and verify it you should be able to tune without having to sign in every time you connect the PV3 to the PC

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Dark Horse. 116BBK Stage 3. Cams. Air Ride. Tuner. Tuned file from CraigB1960
83 Posts
Thanks folks. Here's to more learning. Thank you for the welcome. It is a PV3 my mistake. I will try to find the login. And will read the blog thoroughly.

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·

Thanks folks. Here's to more learning. Thank you for the welcome. It is a PV3 my mistake. I will try to find the login. And will read the blog thoroughly.
you should be able to create an account T with DynoJet (free) and then upload your PV_info.txt file to be able to download tune specific to your bike and its configuration. That is all the dealer did (most likely used a tune that came preloaded on the PV3).

If you send me your STK file found on the PV3 and what your bike is configured with, ie air cleaner, cams, header, exhaust, I will send you my tune for it.

send to indiantuning at gmail dot com.

·
Registered
2022 Rogue
106 Posts
Latest changes in normal operating range, now that i am waiting longer after starting to start my logs, (yep i was logging too soon and it was screwing up my data) i now wait at least 10 min before I log, once again thank you Craig for figuring that out, my cylinder balance is coming in, and the Normal range VE is a few logs from done.
now the cylinder balance via IPW comp is finally getting smaller instead of constantly being all kinds of massive changes, and the VE tables changes are as well, almost done with normal range, then back to expanded AFR, for a few logs to see if my bad data also corrupted the expanded AFR.
Photograph Product Rectangle Font Screenshot

Colorfulness Photograph Rectangle Font Screenshot

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Latest changes in normal operating range, now that i am waiting longer after starting to start my logs, (yep i was logging too soon and it was screwing up my data) i now wait at least 10 min before I log, once again thank you Craig for figuring that out, my cylinder balance is coming in, and the Normal range VE is a few logs from done.
now the cylinder balance via IPW comp is finally getting smaller instead of constantly being all kinds of massive changes, and the VE tables changes are as well, almost done with normal range, then back to expanded AFR,
Looking good!

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty
29 Posts
I am going through the excellent videos that you made Craig, and am preparing myself to start tuning a 2021 Indian scout bobber 60. Looking at the Torque Limits folder, I noticed that in your example tune, only “Load Request Ceiling” 1 and 6 through 9 are changed to 150. Can you explain why those 5 are changed? Are 2-5 not used in the Scout 60? Those tables seem to have a nonsensical number 1535.98 in both the STK and the tuned file.

·
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I am going through the excellent videos that you made Craig, and am preparing myself to start tuning a 2021 Indian scout bobber 60. Looking at the Torque Limits folder, I noticed that in your example tune, only “Load Request Ceiling” 1 and 6 through 9 are changed to 150. Can you explain why those 5 are changed? Are 2-5 not used in the Scout 60? Those tables seem to have a nonsensical number 1535.98 in both the STK and the tuned file.
Yep, the value of 1535.98 is the max number allowed and the ECU ignores those tables. On the Scout 60, Indian used to crippled it through the Torque limits, not so much now. So changing the values to 150 makes sure that those Torque limits are never reached.

On the Scout 60 I change Table 1 to 150 in all cells, leave Table 2 through 5 at 1535.98 and change Tables 6 through 9 values that where 100.01 to 150. I leave the stock values in 1.5k and 1.75k so to protect the engine from lugging. I mimic what the stock values are on the Scout 69, except on the Scout 69, they have more range for Torque limiting under 2k. They also have a very strange y-axis in the Scout 69 with rows for 0, 50, 100, and 125 RPM? That is strange indeed.

If you notice on the Tables 6 through 9, they put in 130 as the values. On the Scout 69, these values are 150. Over the years, 150 seems to be the sweet spot to keep these limits from hurting performance.

I don't think on the 2020 and 2021 Scout 60's the Torque Limits really makes any difference if left at the Indian stock values.

121 - 140 of 201 Posts