Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty
29 Posts
I am going through the excellent videos that you made Craig, and am preparing myself to start tuning a 2021 Indian scout bobber 60. Looking at the Torque Limits folder, I noticed that in your example tune, only “Load Request Ceiling” 1 and 6 through 9 are changed to 150. Can you explain why those 5 are changed? Are 2-5 not used in the Scout 60? Those tables seem to have a nonsensical number 1535.98 in both the STK and the tuned file.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those with Scouts, how do you like to set your Drive By Wire settings? I haven’t started messing with it yet, but the stock settings (for the Scout Bobber 60 at least) seem very conservative, similar to the touring modes on the bigger bikes. At 10% twist, it’s only putting out 2% torque. At 25% - 6.9% torque, and at 50% still only 18.5% torque. Even at 90% it’s only up to 66% torque. The 3rd and 4th gear settings are set even lower.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Craig,

Can you explain the reasoning behind "Main Target AFR" changes that were made to the Scout 60 table that you provided me? I noticed it is taken out of closed loop in the 0.76 RPM column, and also most of the 12 and 15% load row. Is it more efficient to have a specified AFR in those ranges as opposed to closed loop operation? Or should I expand the closed loop to include those portions when I am tuning?

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Line Font

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your idle is set to 1100 RPM's. The cells I set out of closed-loop are cells typically seen in deceleration, so you want to enrichen those cells to help reduce decel exhaust popping. For the purposes of tuning, you can set those cells back to 14.7 (putting them into closed-loop). However my tuning equation will ignore any corrections done when the ECU is in deceleration.

Edit: If your exhaust is not real open and you do not have decel popping, then leave those cells at 14.7, it will not hurt anything either way. The way to see where you are on the Target AFR (and VE and other fuel tables) is to Enable Cell Trace in C3 module when a log is opened in the Data Center. As you scroll along in Data Center, a highlighted cell will track the appropriate tables in C3. This way you can tell exactly what the ECU is operating on with regards to the data. This is a great way to zero in on problem cells, especially when performing timing modifications.
Thanks for the insight! I haven’t had any decel popping issues yet, so I’ll try setting them to 14.7. If any popping issues develop I’ll change them back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those with Scouts, how do you like to set your Drive By Wire settings? I haven’t started messing with it yet, but the stock settings (for the Scout Bobber 60 at least) seem very conservative, similar to the touring modes on the bigger bikes. At 10% twist, it’s only putting out 2% torque. At 25% - 6.9% torque, and at 50% still only 18.5% torque. Even at 90% it’s only up to 66% torque. The 3rd and 4th gear settings are set even lower.
For anyone interested, DynoJet sent me a canned tune for aftermarket air intake and slip-ons. I noticed that they changed the Drive By Wire values, and I thought they looked pretty good. They are increased very slightly in the first 50% of the throttle, so it should still allow for for more precise control in that region, but it ramps up and get more aggressive as you twist further. I tried it out when I was taking some logs today and I thought it felt good. Interestingly, they DID change the ceiling values too. I changed them the same way they did, and I didn't have any issues, but like Craig said - if it causes any limp mode errors, then try changing them back to stock (or just leave them to begin with). Here are the values if anyone wants to try them:

Atmosphere Rectangle Font Technology Parallel

Water Azure Rectangle Font Display device

Rectangle Font Display device Electronic device Technology

On another note, DynoJet sent me a tune for my ECU when I first got the PV3 (since my ECU says no available tunes on their website), and I was surprised to find that their tunes do not correct the throttle limiter issue in Scout 60s! So they leave the factory "detune" in place where it severely limits torque, especially as you start getting up towards 6k (but it looks like it limits torque across the whole RPM range and ramps up). I emailed about it and asked if they could supply any tunes for my ECU with this issue fixed, and they sent me 2 new tunes - stock and after market air intake+slip-ons, and they still had the factory detune! Apparaently, they are not aware of the issue with the Scout 60 throttle limiter, or at least they never fixed it with tunes for my particular ECU. Just a warning, if you are using their tunes as a base, make sure to check those!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I took a crack at tuning the Mass Flow Through Throttle Body. After the initial correction plus 4 more logs, I started the bike today and it seems like it wants to die out at idle after a cold start. Then I went to take off in 1st gear and stalled (which I don't usually do of course). Here are the corrections that it made. Notice it took a lot out in the idle range:

Rectangle Font Music Parallel Pattern

I went back and looked over the logs I recorded with the failed MAP sensor and they all seemed to have this big spike at the beginning of the run (this is in idle range). I wonder if that is what is throwing off the corrections and causing it to over-correct maybe? I was going to try to trim off the spike at the beginning of my run and try again, but the WInpep8 software has the trim button (and the rest of the edit section) grayed out? I contacted DynoJet to see why I can't access the trim feature, but I haven't heard back yet.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone with a Scout 69 and Pv3 ever logged and seen any LTFT REAR data? I looked at every log I’ve taken and while I have seen stft f and r, there has never been any rear LTFT recorded, and I’ve taken well over 50 logs both before and after mods and making changes.
The reason I ask is I still see way to much correction between front and rear cylinders, that should have been balanced many cycles ago
yup, I just sent Craig my logs earlier this week when I noticed the same thing. He was taking a look at it, said it was affecting the 2021/22 models, and suggested I take this tune over 100 miles to see if the LTFT for the rear kicks in after that. Have you tried putting >100 on a tune yet to see if that works?

·
Registered
29 Posts
To the folks tuning their 2021/2022 Scouts with the Tune CMP: VMB8G0ABD4, DynoJet fixed the problem.

Kudo’s to you all for reporting it and DynoJet for quickly fixing it!

It was their definition that PowerCore Software uses to know what is what with a log and run file.
They have fix the problem and when you start Powecore it should load the new definition.

This only applies to
Tune CMP: VMB8G0ABD4 for the Scout.

For those folks that are tuning with that Scout Tune CMP, you will need to start over with you base tune.
That’s great news! Thank you Craig and Wilyumz for getting to the bottom of this. I would say it sucks that I have to start over, but I’m actually kind of excited because I enjoy the tuning process :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Might still be having a problem. Once you get the new definition loaded into Powercore, I recommend you open the STK file and save it as a DJT file and start over. You can take the tables I've modified except I would not copy over the VE and Fuel tables. That I would build new ones based on your engine. I developed my tune with a faulty definition file.

Before you start, I would flash the STK file to the ECU, wait a minute after it is done with the Power off, then flash the saved DJT file that is just the STK file. Then go out and see if you can drive up the LTFT's.
Can you explain how to get the new definition loaded into Powercore? Do you just need to open the STK file in Powercore?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts