Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello my fellow tuners, my name is Jake. I got my PV3 about a month ago, and have been tuning my 2018 Chief Dark Horse which I got in 2019. I live in Minnesota and ride as early and late in the year as weather permits me to. My bike has no performance upgrades, I've only added an external breather for crankcase vent, and a K&N air filter because it's economical, and before the breather, I was oiling my paper ones which I didn't like. OK, I guess you might say iridium plugs are a performance upgrade, which I installed whenever they were due to be replaced. Anyhow, my goal is to learn the tuning process, tune my bike to perfection, and maybe a Chieftain if I finally upgrade like I've been dreaming about. I have yet to reach 40+ mpg since owning my bike, and my tuning goal is to improve gas mileage and dial in the tune for my riding style. I really enjoy tinkering and thought buying the tuner was probably the best money spent as far as performance upgrades go. My tune has some mild changes to DBW, idle, and delay for fuel cut off, as well as raised limits beyond the bikes ability for speed. I've done good logs and one pass with the equation on this tune. I had a version of it that had 2 passes and some other changes including a more aggressive twist grip, but it ended up with some idle surging and I reverted to the version I knew and liked and started over with the logging. Looking forward to learning and sharing what I can here.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Craig - just logged my first ride this morning - seemed to go smoothly - I'll do another on the way home.
I've been studying your blog, and watching the videos - someday soon I'll be brave enough to open up the Powercore program, run your equation, and check out the VE and IPW tables - first I need a new PC. It seems my tower is not upgradeable. :ROFLMAO:
Having a hotrod background I'm very comfortable with carburetors and Vertex magnetos... without your instruction there's no way I'd be digging into this computer "stuff". Thanks again for all the time you're putting into this project - it's obvious you can do this in your sleep. From experience in my own field, I know it's sometimes difficult to break things down simply enough for those who haven't been at it for years.
I bought a used surface pro 3 for $150 to use for tuning, and it works fine. Better than my new Mac running parallels. loading files via parallels is buggy, so I will keep my Mac and windows separate. It's nice to have the portability of the surface, and I can just plug into an hdmi for a bigger screen when I want it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bloomington you say - I might have to bribe you with beer or some-such for assistance if I get stuck in this process. :unsure: I'm a luddite at heart.
I'm catching on, but still a newb in the tuning realm myself. Glad to help if I can, no bribe needed. For the record though, I don't drink anymore, and it's kept me out of jail. Wadena is a hike, but my parents are in Little falls, so maybe we can get together for a ride when I'm up that way sometime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm catching on, but still a newb in the tuning realm myself. Glad to help if I can, no bribe needed. For the record though, I don't drink anymore, and it's kept me out of jail. Wadena is a hike, but my parents are in Little falls, so maybe we can get together for a ride when I'm up that way sometime.
Oops, mixed you guys up. Prescott is much closer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I work at the VA hospital - so Bloomington is within spitting distance.
Totally understand the drinking/jail reference - had to do an overnight after my 2nd... :rolleyes:
I work at the VA hospital - so Bloomington is within spitting distance.
Totally understand the drinking/jail reference - had to do an overnight after my 2nd... :rolleyes:
Cool, yeah the VA is super close. Your bike looks a lot like mine, that's a Springfield right? Do you get buffeting with the windshield? I added lower deflectors to cure it on mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several djt's that came w/the PV3 - can I flash the bike with any one of those and use as an "unlocked" starting point?
I appreciate the response - I'm truly out of my element here.
I would use only the one that matches the parts you have on your bike. Dynojet's website has the list of file numbers that correspond with different part combinations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last night I picked up a pair of chieftain stock mufflers, and punched the plugs out of them and installed them. This was after I flashed the stage one tune Craig developed and rode for an hour or so. Just wondering if there are any adjustments I should make other than logging and using the equation to correct the IPW & VE tables? Also I'm not sure how much flow I'm gaining with this mod, but the sound is only a little louder. I only have driven it to work this morning since the change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"In 2019 and newer models, Polaris introduced the Drive Mode. This is a great feature for the user, but a major headache for the tuner if asked to change them. I usually do not change these tables unless the client asks. Usually this request has been to take the Standard Mode and copy those tables over to the Touring Mode. Then create a new Standard Mode by taking the current Standard Mode and Sport Mode and averaging these values to create the new Standard Mode." Is the headache just because there are 3x the tables to change or is there more to it than that? I really like the idea of having 3 customizable modes to be able to tune to my liking. I believe it's 9 tables on my 2018, 3 each for 1st, 2nd, 3+, and it took me a long time the first time to go through and carefully choose my adjustments. That was before I learned to copy and paste and save myself a lot of back and forth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Percent view Comparison of my most recent pass in tune lab. Took me longer to figure out screenshots in windows than to save the new tune after running the VE IPW equation on 10 or so logs. Getting in that narrow percentage range with these. I believe Craigs target was 1% on IPW and 3% or less on VE tables. Just thought I'd share some screenshots since I haven't seen many publicly posted. Keep on Tuning!
Colorfulness Product Rectangle Font Screenshot

Rectangle Computer Font Screenshot Line

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Computer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those are looking very good! Should be running a lot smoother.
It's incredible to me how much improvement I've seen since I began! Thanks for your help. It's been a fun process. I ran a good 40 minute log yesterday with expanded AFR but have yet to review or apply the collected data. I was exhausted from the heat so I just flashed the non expanded tune back and went inside to eat a few popsicles. I'll probably run that correction tonight after work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Makes a huge difference! It is a fun process, though it was not too much fun early on. The equations that @cmoalem and I (and DynoJet engineers) developed took several years with literally a thousand + bikes being tuned to develop them!

I am amazed I did not wear out my ECU’s memory with the amount of flashing and testing I did!

I am delighted that folks are learning and applying these techniques to have a better riding experience!

I plan to upload a new set of videos this week with an equation to tune the Mass Flow Through the Throttle Body. This table has a lot to do with startup and performance behavior.
Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is an excellent run! Very hard to hit those cells. Your tune has converged very well. Your fuel is about done, at least for the expanded portion.
So, looking at this, I'm seeing corrections in the range I've already run many passes on, and they are pretty small, but I was wondering about the other factors in data logging. The data collected for this run was during cooler weather that the last couple were, probably 10-15 degrees difference between last runs logs and this runs. @CraigB1960 can you tell us how the weather changes would come into play here, or any other things you've noticed related to this? I have been sticking to the same gas. The gas differences I thought were noticeable in the data, so I just picked a local bp where I have been filling up to keep it consistent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hopefully late this evening. I have been distracted with other tuning stuff and want to make sure the info is readable and accurate.
Cool, thank You! and for anyone else, here the donation link for Craig from the tuning blog, money speaks louder than words in a thank you. Donate to [email protected]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for getting back so quickly

the improved stock file I’m building on has a modified AFR table I’ll continue to fallow along with the process then and compare it to the file you sent me to start with as we go

Sessions are exactly how I had to do the other tables as life demands sometimes (3 daughters somebody help me). I am glad to hear I can do so with the mass air flow tuning as well.

I think we are all in a better place with our bikes than when we started thanks to you sir

once more thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge with us
I just did the idle to 3k part of the MAF tune (actually about 3200) in my garage after 5-6 minutes of idle applied the corrections and restored the rest of the tune. I did it before work yesterday and then rode in like usual. Still have to find the right time to go safely log the next stage of the MAF tuning. I have a new tune ready for MAF log, and another for expanded AFR on deck in case I want to log for those corrections , and one for regular riding that’s tried and true I can always revert to after logging in case I just want to ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts