Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
566 Posts
@CraigB1960 i’m really enjoying reading through your blog and attempting to glean a fraction of the knowledge you are lying out for us. I really appreciate it and look forward to more updates. Since I already have 1 bike that is tuned, I’m simply looking at the software, stock and modified tunes, and noticing differences. Thanks again.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well @CraigB1960 I finally got the courage up to try my hand at making a tune from my stock file last night after reading through your blog and watching some videos. I was really surprised this morning that the tune I modified, using your tutorial examples of course, runs so much smoother and no decel pop like the FM tune I had on it (which by the way was acquired after you left them).

I tried some datalogging this morning on the ride to work but when I got here the PV3 said it had disconnected from the bike. Not sure what that is about but I'll try to mount it on my handlebars on the way home and hopefully get some valuable log files.

I have a couple questions for you if you have the time:
  • I have a completely stock MY '16 TS111 engine, with my own diy intake, no cat, and Indian stage 1 pipes that I acquired used. So I don't have any Indian stage 1 card download or anything. Is this ok to start with or should I look at getting a stage 1 card then start over?
  • I thought I read or heard you say somewhere that there was something you did to a tune when the bike no longer had the catalytic converter in it. But I can't find that now, can you expound on this please?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Should not have any issues with a 2016 disconnecting. Be sure that when you start your bike with the PV3 connected that once you power on the bike, do not start it until you see that the PV3 is displaying data on its display.

You do not need the stage 1 factory flash, it is a waste of money. However it is good to start off with the settings that it has. If you send me your STK file, I will send you the recommended starting DJT. Send it to me at indiantuning at gmail.

There are no special settings for CAT versus non-CAT.

BTW, congratulations! Tuning your bike is very easy and once you do it a couple of times it becomes addictive. You will find it to be a source of satisfaction when you start to notice the improvements you make.
I will get it sent to you this evening when I get back to my laptop. I'm very interested to see the tune I created compared to yours. Thank you

·
Registered
566 Posts
I loaded your tune this morning and it's running great so far. I tried taking some log files but I keep getting an 'error 201' code on the PV3. I think I may have an issue with a loose connection in my bike somewhere. Anyway it will let me log for 10-15 min then it cuts out. I hit the return key to get off of the error screen, then the circle again, and it says log stored. So at least I have something to work with anyway.

Is there a way to combine log files if I can only gather 10 min periods at a time?

·
Registered
566 Posts
You do not need to combine them, just load the logs files in Data Center. My videos show this. You can load in as many logs as you like, though the default is 16 IIRC.
Thanks again. I haven’t been able to watch all of the videos yet in detail due to really poor internet here in the back woods of Mississippi.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You do not need to combine them, just load the logs files in Data Center. My videos show this. You can load in as many logs as you like, though the default is 16 IIRC.
Finally got to watch the "First log and tune for TS111 TS116" video while at work. I think I did everything per your instruction except I think the equation I used was the VE/ICF instead of the VE/IPW. As I was reading through the other night I downloaded and saved both, guess I lost track of which to use first.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’m with you, after all of the guidance from Craig, I feel so much more confident adjusting my tune using his equations. So far, with just 2 adjustments, my fuel mileage has increased, it’s much smoother throttle response, and I can tell the torque is significantly increased as I can easily start off in 2nd now and 1st feels almost useless. Loving it! Can’t wait til I get another license and start on my ‘21 Roadmaster

·
Registered
566 Posts
You got it. Modify the .stk file and start tuning with data logs and Craig’s equations.

i could be wrong, but I think when you buy the license from Dynojet they create the editable .stk file and the .djt files are saving only the changes made. At least that’s how I see it since the .djt files are so much smaller and always have to have an .stk file to reference.

So as long as you always keep a copy of the .stk file and the last .djt file that ran well, you can always go back to what you knew was working. I’m really enjoying how much smoother my bike is.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Beginner here that has NOT read through all 7 pages and only just begun to read Craig's amazingly helpful blog. I have a tune that I am not happy with. Bought a 2019 with 116BBK that did not have a tuner. Dealership convinced me to add the tuner dj3.
My question is - what did I buy?
What I mean is, I have the device that I can plug into my bike (the dj3) and load tunes. When I go on DJ website, it looks like I need to buy a subscription in order to gain access to a tune? Was that not included with the dj3?

I understand that I have more reading to do here, but can someone dumb down what I purchased? The Indian Shop just loaded a tune in, they did not do any real world ride test and adjustments. I just wanted to see what was out there available for tunes but I cannot get anything to come up on the software I downloaded to my pc or on their website.

Also there is a USB drive that I have yet to look at. Lazy or dumb, I know, I just forget about it every time I get home. I need to pull that out and see whats on it. I am going to guess maybe its the tune files? It is in the dash compartment on the bike.
The usb is from Indian, nothing to do with the tune.

The device should be a PV3, depending who they sourced it from would tell you more. But on the device it should have a .stk file. AFTER you’ve read through Craig’s blog and done the test / practice work, then you’ll have a much better understanding and can create your own from that .stk file

1 - 10 of 10 Posts