Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Craig - what a tremendous resource! I've looked through your blog and it seems to answer many of the questions that pop up on the forum routinely.
After installing my initial tune from FM, I found my knocking issue improved (but not gone). I'm assuming (hate to do that) that the data logging is the next step.
What I'm looking for may be shared by some: there was a recent post about logging data files... how to get into that w/PV3, and many thinking they had saved numerous files only to find nothing recorded. Is there a simple way to de-mystify this process?

I'll remind you that you wrote "there are no dumb questions"... some of us Luddites struggle.

Once again - Bravo on this initiative!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Craig - just logged my first ride this morning - seemed to go smoothly - I'll do another on the way home.
I've been studying your blog, and watching the videos - someday soon I'll be brave enough to open up the Powercore program, run your equation, and check out the VE and IPW tables - first I need a new PC. It seems my tower is not upgradeable. :ROFLMAO:
Having a hotrod background I'm very comfortable with carburetors and Vertex magnetos... without your instruction there's no way I'd be digging into this computer "stuff". Thanks again for all the time you're putting into this project - it's obvious you can do this in your sleep. From experience in my own field, I know it's sometimes difficult to break things down simply enough for those who haven't been at it for years.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can I collect log files while running the FuelMoto tune that I received? They seem to record and save okay, but in PowerCore, it seems like it's locked - and very few parameters can even be viewed, let alone changed. :unsure:

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are several djt's that came w/the PV3 - can I flash the bike with any one of those and use as an "unlocked" starting point?
I appreciate the response - I'm truly out of my element here.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Last night, I downloaded an 'unlocked' tune from Dynojet, that "about" matched my stock configuration, strictly for the purpose of logging rides and modifying it. However - major shoutout to Dynojet~! With this tune the dreaded knocking that I've been desperate to avoid for the last 45K miles is finally gone! I never dreamed that a canned tune would be better than the custom one I received from FuelMoto (and the stock tune was dreadful BTW). I guess my fiancé is right about my needing to be more willing to try new things. :rolleyes:
I logged the ride to work, and I'll have couple more after the trip home. I'm actually somewhat looking forward to working in PowerCore... as confounding as I do find this program... it will get better once I have real files to work with, right? I have to remind myself what I tell others at work: all the preparation and research you can do is great, but things won't really make sense until you start doing it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Get a tune from Dynojet, you will be able to modify that one. The Fuelmoto tunes are locked, unless you are going to have fuel moto do the tunes for you. But then you still won't be able to edit them. I started with the DJ tune and I am using Craig's tune lab script, everything is coming along nicely.
It seems as though some tunes from DJ are locked as well. I'm getting a password request to "decrypt this tune" for the one I downloaded from their website (which I used to log my rides today) ...and the custom one I was sent as well. I can open the .stk file (the 1,025K one) and made the initial changes for max speed, torque limits, etc. I guess I need to contact FuelMoto... Craig?

The "Tunelab" tab showed up (finally) and I got the equation in there. Got the logs into the data center, set up the fields and have some fairly cool-looking graphs to look at - so - progress. (?) Some of my LTFT's look a bit wild... but mostly just when it was in 8th gear. :LOL: Engine speed at these times was idle, so I guess 8 is neutral?

Since I'm stuck - so it's cocktail hour.

Edit: I now see one can save the modified .stk file as a .djt. Am I catching on??
Just ran the formula... looking at the VE changes... never thought I'd get this far.
Can't wait to flash the bike and do it all over again!

·
Registered
522 Posts
THAT is truly an amazing video. The number of individual steps and files that need to be moved around is a bit overwhelming, but this is a great walk-through of that process. Many thanks for the time you put into doing that- twice!
I can’t wait to get home and log some rides now. (It quit raining) 👍

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've finished my first attempt at fuel corrections. On the last 4 or so passes, I wasn't hitting very many cells. I was riding with others, more joy riding, and just not very good for tuning (I guess). Following those corrections the low-rpm performance was worse. I loaded the tune from pass #6, and all is well again. I was very happy with that point in the process originally, and have no urgency to proceed further - just throwing it out there for others that if you're not riding "for tuning purposes" you maybe shouldn't be recording.
Anyone care to confirm or correct?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Beginner here that has NOT read through all 7 pages and only just begun to read Craig's amazingly helpful blog. I have a tune that I am not happy with. Bought a 2019 with 116BBK that did not have a tuner. Dealership convinced me to add the tuner dj3.
My question is - what did I buy?
I'll offer my 2 cents, as the tune that I bought was Terrible - looking back on it.
Don't be discouraged as it IS fixable. True, there's a great deal to learn! My advice is to read all 7 (now 8) pages of this thread, all the posts and videos on Craig's blog, and then you'll be ready to dig in. Also, there's a great support network here that will help you along the way.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts