Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my long promised thread for discussions and resources on how to tune your Indian motorcycles...TS111, TS116, Scouts 60 & 69, & FTR-1200. The main information I will be providing is through my Indian Roadmaster Blog, which I have turned into an Indian tuning related site only. Please read and reference that blog. If you have questions or comments please do it here so others will have the benefit of the Q&A. There are no dumb questions, so do not hesitate to post. Feel free to copy and paste from that blog here to clarify any questions you may have. I hope the blog will serve as a good reference for your tuning efforts, print it out and use it as a resourse.

The reference blog is here: My Indian Roadmaster Blog

This is a big effort and I am slowly rolling out the information. I will not be going over all the tables in a tune, but will hit on the most important. Please feel free to ask questions on the other tables and we will discuss in this thread. My goal is for you to be able to safely manipulate your tune and through logging of data, make your own corrections. I will be supplying the equations I have written in conjunction with our friend @cmoalem. I have modified these equations to take out the Wideband portion of the equations since this is to support non-commercial tuning. If there are any Python wizards here, please feel free to modify and better these equations and share with me and others.

Finally, I do not claim to be an expert. If I provide any information that is not correct, please post the correction or DM me. We are all here to learn as much as possible in the very short time we are given on the Earth....let's be kind to each other in this thread and perhaps we can demystify this thing called engine tuning.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A "thumbs-up" like does not do this justice for me. @CraigB1960 -- this effort is absolutely fabulous and I hope it is echoed by others here. I am going to spend my time learning what I can here and wrap my head around this topic. Thank you for your selfless efforts here across the board for the years you've been doing all of this. Anyone who bought a PV has benefitted from your work with them and this community!

You claim you're not an expert... and I won't argue your own position on this. What I will say is that you are this board's most influential Subject Matter Expert because you have taken the time to share, explain and demystify this topic for all of us.

Cheers to you!!!!!!!

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have added video content over the last two days. Today I will be preparing a video that starts diving into setting up certain tables for better user experience.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Hey Craig - what a tremendous resource! I've looked through your blog and it seems to answer many of the questions that pop up on the forum routinely.
After installing my initial tune from FM, I found my knocking issue improved (but not gone). I'm assuming (hate to do that) that the data logging is the next step.
What I'm looking for may be shared by some: there was a recent post about logging data files... how to get into that w/PV3, and many thinking they had saved numerous files only to find nothing recorded. Is there a simple way to de-mystify this process?

I'll remind you that you wrote "there are no dumb questions"... some of us Luddites struggle.

Once again - Bravo on this initiative!

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Craig - what a tremendous resource! I've looked through your blog and it seems to answer many of the questions that pop up on the forum routinely.
After installing my initial tune from FM, I found my knocking issue improved (but not gone). I'm assuming (hate to do that) that the data logging is the next step.
What I'm looking for may be shared by some: there was a recent post about logging data files... how to get into that w/PV3, and many thinking they had saved numerous files only to find nothing recorded. Is there a simple way to de-mystify this process?

I'll remind you that you wrote "there are no dumb questions"... some of us Luddites struggle.

Once again - Bravo on this initiative!
I plan to put the detailed instructions on how to log files up either this evening or tomorrow. I am making a video today on Drive By Wire and Idle tables. Then we are diving into logging.

I will go over the PV3 and how it automatically will save logs as well as how you can easily lose the file if you do not do something first. This all will be in the writeup I post today.

Viewing Knock and then correcting timing is a little more advanced. I plan to go over that and supply an equation to deal with it. However, the first step is to correct the fuel table before you deal with any ignition issues.

It is certainly okay to ask any question, but I need to cover the basics and be methodical on tuning. That is my goal so you will have a firm grasp and good procedure to tune your engine. There is nothing worse then chasing a problem that might be corrected by fixing another table

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome resource. I'm going to enjoy going over all the content. Thanks!
I just uploaded a bunch more.

At this stage, we are ready to create our first tune (DJT) from our current factory stock file (STK) and begin to record log data. The next series of uploads will be showing how to do your first fuel corrections!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just uploaded a bunch more.

At this stage, we are ready to create our first tune (DJT) from our current factory stock file (STK) and begin to record log data. The next series of uploads will be showing how to do your first fuel corrections!
Is there an order that would be better to go through the pages on the site? It seems like we would need to learn some of these things in a particular order, but i dont see an obvious flow or progression in the site. But i certainly could just be missing something.

Font Number Circle Screenshot Document

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Is there an order that would be better to go through the pages on the site? It seems like we would need to learn some of these things in a particular order, but i dont see an obvious flow or progression in the site. But i certainly could just be missing something.

View attachment 692214
I am revising this post. I did some work with the Archive listing on the side of the blog. It now has the oldest post on the top, so read from the top down. I am posting in a chronological order with the steps it takes to understand how and why on tuning fundamentals. Of course with the videos you can skip over to the actual tutorial for tuning, but you might miss why I do the things I do. I also wanted to create an overly in-depth blog for Indian tuning. I would have killed for a blog with this much info when I started learning in 2005.

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I added the first correction video this evening. Working on the Scout and FTR-1200 later this evening.
Edit: The Scout and FTR-1200 videos have been added.

·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Added another video and post today. This one goes through the first 5 tuning cycles with an interesting first log that we discuss. This is part 1. Part 2 video shows how to recognized you are done with the fuel corrections and finalize the tune from the fueling point of view. That video will be uploaded over the weekend. Lot's to keep you busy in the mean time.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts