Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello riders,I am new here.

I would like to hear what's your opinion about my "interesting problem" also I think many of you did not know about the Indian"special" warranty terms...
I am having a warranty issue with Indian.
A 2017 Indian Chef Vintage less than 2 years old with 50K. miles The bike shipped to overseas to Hungary.
This year in may the right front suspension start leaking badly...
We went to the Hungarian Indian dealership service for help.
Based on our knowledge every Indian has 2 years warranty so luckily changing the suspension bar will cost nothing…
So the Hungarian Indian service disassembled the bad part and ordered a new one the bike at the service since that day…
A few days later the service called us the pat is on the way but it won’t be covered by the warranty because:
(Attaching the reason)

“…I understand that the customer would like to have Indian Motorcycle fixed at Indian/Polaris cost.

However, Indian / Polaris will denied the warranty claim:

the customer has bought this 2nd hand unit from abroad (previous customer was XXX in Illinois)

this model is a US model , not compliant with European regulations. We haven’t sale any of those units in the European countries.

The Warranty Policy is available in all the Owner’s manual : please see below…”
So looks like who’s buying a 2nd hand even 1 month old Indian motorcycle won’t get the factory warranty with it…
Also about US model: there is only one Indian exist in our planet the US made one. In Europe the dealership unpacking the bike from the US container and selling it just like that with no modification at all… but if there is any modification in the bike like EU cars got in the US so what…? It has nothing to do with the factory warranty at all…
I think it’s not right!
Please let me know did you know about that special warranty term and share your thoughts about my situation and thanks for your helpful advises too…

Thanks,
Laszlo

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Just a couple of notes.

Warranty is transferable in the US, but the original warranty terms stand from the time of original owner's purchase. You also have a timeframe to do the warranty transfer and it takes a dealer to do it.

I can't imagine European warranty work being denied on a US model..think US servicemen stationed overseas with their bikes.

European models are different from a ECU calibration standpoint. Their factory calibrations are different and some are not available. The stage 2 and stage 3 calibrations are not available in Europe from dealers.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Also about US model: there is only one Indian exist in our planet the US made one. In Europe the dealership unpacking the bike from the US container and selling it just like that with no modification at all… but if there is any modification in the bike like EU cars got in the US so what…? It has nothing to do with the factory warranty at all…
Actually, your assessment is not quite right all bikes sent to Europe, Asia, Germany and others are made for that market.
Things like all export bikes are ABS models, have a different wiring harness, kickstand switches, fork locks, windscreen lengths and many more depending upon models.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The bike was second hand ,I can tell you if you buy a new or second hand motor cycle here in Australia ,regardless of the brand it is covered upto the 2 years as all Australian sold bikes are cover by that ,the warranty is transferable and covered till the end of the 2 year period. Buy a second hand bike out side of the original warranty 2 years and you only get a 3 months warranty and that depends on the age of the bike and kms. / miles on the second hand bike. I think you may find if you check with your dealer that that may apply too you in your country as well. CriagB1960 said that US Serviceman stationed over seas take their bikes with them so I can see how they would have their warranty covered as they are the original owners along with transferring the bike too where they are stationed.
So Kamika ,I don't think you would have much chance of having Polaris cover the warranty . I would be checking with the dealership you bought the bike from and cross your fingers that they will assist you in some was. You mention suspension bar ,do you mean fork ? If that is the case surely if they serviced one fork they would have done both and changed the oil at the same time . I may have that part of what you said incorrect.

Good luck I feel for you but don't like your chances. If anything and you bought the bike from an Indian dealership they may do good will service and meet you somewhere on cost of fixing the problem.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Hello riders,I am new here.

I would like to hear what's your opinion about my "interesting problem" also I think many of you did not know about the Indian"special" warranty terms...
I am having a warranty issue with Indian.
A 2017 Indian Chef Vintage less than 2 years old with 50K. miles The bike shipped to overseas to Hungary.
This year in may the right front suspension start leaking badly...
We went to the Hungarian Indian dealership service for help.
Based on our knowledge every Indian has 2 years warranty so luckily changing the suspension bar will cost nothing…
So the Hungarian Indian service disassembled the bad part and ordered a new one the bike at the service since that day…
A few days later the service called us the pat is on the way but it won’t be covered by the warranty because:
(Attaching the reason)

“…I understand that the customer would like to have Indian Motorcycle fixed at Indian/Polaris cost.

However, Indian / Polaris will denied the warranty claim:

the customer has bought this 2nd hand unit from abroad (previous customer was XXX in Illinois)

this model is a US model , not compliant with European regulations. We haven’t sale any of those units in the European countries.

The Warranty Policy is available in all the Owner’s manual : please see below…”
So looks like who’s buying a 2nd hand even 1 month old Indian motorcycle won’t get the factory warranty with it…
I think it’s not right!
Please let me know did you know about that special warranty term and share your thoughts about my situation and thanks for your helpful advises too…

Thanks,
Laszlo
I think your a bit confused. Its not because your bike is "second hand/used" its because your bike was originally made for and sold in the US. If your bike was originally sold in the EU, it would be sold under different regulations.
Since your bike was a US bike and not a EU bike, coverage was denied. Had/has nothing to do with being simply "second hand".

·
Silver member
4,811 Posts
What is the route cause of your bike leaking badly? From the seals or something else?

If it was shipped overseas and transported in a crate it could of easily been damaged by over tightening the front end when they strapped it down causing the bike to blow out the seals. So that would be a claim against the shipper or his insurance.

And if it is just the seals then it is really not that expensive of a repair to take care of...

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Rider
709 Posts
I had a leaky left fork seal just shy of 15k miles on a 17RM. With a year left on the warranty. Moco said being it was so close to the “15K mile fork oil change” that warranty wouldn’t cover it. Ordinary maintenance. The dealer went to bat for me and replaced it on their dime. At 50k miles, good luck.

·
Bronze member
1,130 Posts
The bike was second hand ,I can tell you if you buy a new or second hand motor cycle here in Australia ,regardless of the brand it is covered upto the 2 years as all Australian sold bikes are cover by that ,the warranty is transferable and covered till the end of the 2 year period. Buy a second hand bike out side of the original warranty 2 years and you only get a 3 months warranty and that depends on the age of the bike and kms. / miles on the second hand bike. I think you may find if you check with your dealer that that may apply too you in your country as well. CriagB1960 said that US Serviceman stationed over seas take their bikes with them so I can see how they would have their warranty covered as they are the original owners along with transferring the bike too where they are stationed.
So Kamika ,I don't think you would have much chance of having Polaris cover the warranty . I would be checking with the dealership you bought the bike from and cross your fingers that they will assist you in some was. You mention suspension bar ,do you mean fork ? If that is the case surely if they serviced one fork they would have done both and changed the oil at the same time . I may have that part of what you said incorrect.

Good luck I feel for you but don't like your chances. If anything and you bought the bike from an Indian dealership they may do good will service and meet you somewhere on cost of fixing the problem.
3 month warranty past the two year limit you Aussies are spoiled.

·
Silver member
4,822 Posts
I see two things here actually.

- this is a grey import bike, a good reason for dealers/importers to deny warranty work. I don't think they should, these bikes are not that different.

however:

- it has 50,000 miles. Even if you bought it new at your local dealer odds are they'd deny warranty.

have it repaired, suck it up. Can happen.

·
Silver member
4,811 Posts
I had a leaky left fork seal just shy of 15k miles on a 17RM. With a year left on the warranty. Moco said being it was so close to the “15K mile fork oil change” that warranty wouldn’t cover it. Ordinary maintenance. The dealer went to bat for me and replaced it on their dime. At 50k miles, good luck.
So they covered the cost of the fork seals only? Or the whole service for the fork oil. The seals aren't too expensive if that is all they covered...

·
Rider
709 Posts
So they covered the cost of the fork seals only? Or the whole service for the fork oil. The seals aren't too expensive if that is all they covered...
Leaking left fork seal the end 1st season. I noticed seal leaking and documented it when I took bike in to replace fender trim under warranty. The tech reported it to corporate, they said it would probably be denied since I had 14,900 miles stating fork oil needed replaced any way which I replied horse pucky! Changing fork oil @ 15k miles is ridiculous IMO
Something I will do myself when the time comes. The seal failed prematurely and the tech agreed and got corporate to agree finally. The left seal replaced, right fork untouched and is doing fine @ 40k miles

·
German rider
637 Posts
A fellow Rider there has some anger with this dealer ( it is the only one in whole Hungary).
As the situation clears up, this seems to be the picture of the hungarian area:
The Hungarian Indian Dealer is not an real 'Indian' Dealer.
This Dealer cooperates or is attached to the Czech 'Indian Area'.
Much anger between a Hungarian Fellow and this Dealer, because they called themselves as 'Indian Dealer' but have no technical clue nor special indian teaching nor a real indian licence.
Bad response with this 'Indian Dealer', maybe you should go the higher route to talk with Indian directly.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I am a US servicemember, stationed in Germany. I have had no issue getting warranty work done on my 2017 RM, although I do have the extended warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
1,749 Posts
I am a US servicemember, stationed in Germany. I have had no issue getting warranty work done on my 2017 RM, although I do have the extended warranty.

Is it a US spec or German spec bike? Is there even a difference, if you know (I don't)? I am also a US servicemember, currently in Africa, never been stationed in Germany, but I was there for a training exercise, I recall my buddy saying something to the effect that a lot of US servicemembers would buy a cheap German car, that couldn't pass strict German inspection, drive it for the maximum time you could without passing inspection, like 6 months or something, then just pass it along to the next service member who would do the same thing, while they got another and started the process again. Does that sound correct or not?

Can you drive a US spec car there? The way he made it sound it was all German spec stuff, and that scheme I mentioned was the cheapest way to do that if you didn't want to spend for a newer nicer German car you were only going to drive fro a year or two then have to resell?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Is it a US spec or German spec bike? Is there even a difference, if you know (I don't)? I am also a US servicemember, currently in Africa, never been stationed in Germany, but I was there for a training exercise, I recall my buddy saying something to the effect that a lot of US servicemembers would buy a cheap German car, that couldn't pass strict German inspection, drive it for the maximum time you could without passing inspection, like 6 months or something, then just pass it along to the next service member who would do the same thing, while they got another and started the process again. Does that sound correct or not?

Can you drive a US spec car there? The way he made it sound it was all German spec stuff, and that scheme I mentioned was the cheapest way to do that if you didn't want to spend for a newer nicer German car you were only going to drive fro a year or two then have to resell?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My bike is US spec. So far as I know, the only major differences between EU and US spec is that the EU spec Indians have more restrictive environmental control systems.

The German "beater car" is still alive and well...but most of them will still pass inspection, if you know where to go, lol.

Reactions: Geronimo

·
Silver member
4,822 Posts
the only major differences between EU and US spec is that the EU spec Indians have more restrictive environmental control systems.
I wonder if that's really the case. The only major difference I expect is the charcoal canister... (which is found on every CA model as well).

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I wonder if that's really the case. The only major difference I expect is the charcoal canister... (which is found on every CA model as well).
There was a post on here awhile back about the intake being more restrictive on the EU models.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts