Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late yesterday afternoon I was in the Deerfield Beach/Pompano and since I don't frequent that area, I was surprised to see a new Indian Dealership in what seems like the final stages of preparation for opening. The dealer name is Indian Motorcycle Pompano Beach and it's located at 5111 N. Federal Highway in Pompano Beach, Florida.

By the time I had a moment to stop by, this Dealership was closed, but a peek into the window gave the appearance that the interior construction was getting closet to be completed. I did notice a few pre-owned bikes on the floor, but no new Indians. I'll be checking to see a scheduled opening date and will update this thread with new info as it's received.

In the meantime, here's a few photos of the store's exterior:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Andy - great find. Looks like a nice design from the outside. I believe the dealers getting involved at this point have timing on their side. Something which can never be overlooked in business. If I had the backing to open an Indian only location in my area I would do it. IMO the combination dealers are a bad idea and do not support Mr. Menneto's comments about the brands being seperate operations. Maryland / D.C.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like they're remodeling an old Hummer dealership.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4902 said:
Looks like they're remodeling an old Hummer dealership.
That makes sense as Coral was a Hummer dealer at one point. Great observation!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats exactly what they did. Scott and I have been following them on FB, they are having a grand opening oct 26/27th with bands, food, demos, etc.... It going to be a first class outfit, just hope they have enough business to keep it going.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 said:
Late yesterday afternoon I was in the Deerfield Beach/Pompano and since I don't frequent that area, I was surprised to see a new Indian Dealership in what seems like the final stages of preparation for opening. The dealer name is Indian Motorcycle Pompano Beach and it's located at 5111 N. Federal Highway in Pompano Beach, Florida.

By the time I had a moment to stop by, this Dealership was closed, but a peek into the window gave the appearance that the interior construction was getting closet to be completed. I did notice a few pre-owned bikes on the floor, but no new Indians. I'll be checking to see a scheduled opening date and will update this thread with new info as it's received.

In the meantime, here's a few photos of the store's exterior:

Yep, old Hummer dealership. If I remember correctly Hummer mandated that dealers have that design building and about 2 years later GM dropped the nameplate/brand.

Andy, your Caddy?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had heard from a Vic dealer about this dealership. Indian didn't want them to be a stand alone dealership but I guess they really wanted to just sell Indians only. And of course Polaris cashed the check.

Hope they do well.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the outside it looks a lot nicer than any Victory dealership I've ever seen.

I would like to see Indian and Victory in shared dealerships and think it would strengthen both brands. It would allow them so share overhead expenses.

Also, If - and it's a big IF - a dealership is run correctly with proper facilities, sales staff, parts, accessories, and service... I think a 'super' or 'mega' dealership for all motorsports would be great (under the right conditions). Polaris is positioned perfectly to pursue such a strategy in some areas/markets. I just don't think the 'old' Polaris snowmobile and ATV model will work going forward for Victory and Indian in combined buildings. However, if they had new/nicer facilities as the one in the pics Andy showed here, I think the concept of 'super' or 'mega' powersports store/dealership would be great in the right locations and markets.

There are two similar dealerships that come to mind for those aware of them. Renegade Sports in Logan, UT and Rexburg Motor Sports in Rexburg, ID. I think there is potential that would require some market analysis and research.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
14061 said:
I had heard from a Vic dealer about this dealership. Indian didn't want them to be a stand alone dealership but I guess they really wanted to just sell Indians only. And of course Polaris cashed the check.

Hope they do well.
Strange, Indian has advertised over and over again how the new Dealerships were to be stand alone Dealers, no intermixing of brands in the same building.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to what I was told, they (Polaris) were concerned about the success of new brand, new market, selling only one brand. And it could have been just this specific situation/market. Every market is different. And it could very well be Polaris big plan to see stand alone dealers. That doesn't work often outside of HD world.

They were trying hard to get this new Vic dealer to be an Indian dealer also. But he was like, hey, lets just do one thing at a time. Polaris was talking about 2+ yrs before turning a profit. Of course, all that (profit thing) is just speculation and this was about 2 months ago before Indian's release. Pretty hard to gauge how Indians would be recieved and still is kinda of a crap shoot. New stuff always get a lot of attention but that doesn't have jack to do with staying power.

I would love to see Vic/Indian dealers under one roof.

That dealership owner in Pompano, has some serious dollars invested!! Wish him well. And I'll bet he was on the contractors a$$ to get this done for Indians release. Little did he know...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are and will be combined Indian / Victory dealers but to quote a factory rep, not in every market. Personally, I think they need to get the bikes out of the ATV / Sled dealers.

Here's one and personally, I think this is the future for Polaris Motorcycles.

http://www.indianvictorydaytona.com/index.htm

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2610 said:
There are and will be combined Indian / Victory dealers but to quote a factory rep, not in every market. Personally, I think they need to get the bikes out of the ATV / Sled dealers. Here's one and personally, I think this is the future for Polaris Motorcycles. http://www.indianvictorydaytona.com/index.htm
Having the ATV/sleds with Indians will be a big mistake in my opinion, they need to break away from Victory and Polaris, be on their own.
Maby in the same building to help offset the initial expense but I do not want to walk into a Dealer and see Indians parked besides Vics and I used to own a Vic.
One of the things that bothered me the most was walking in my Vic Dealer and tripping over 4x4's and snowmobiles.
Yes they need to pay the bills but I hope Indian does what they have been saying and make this more than just a motorcycle purchase, make it an experience, make me come back and visit, don't just take my money then ignore me after the sale.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree nice looking dealership, but playing devil's advocate here it screams extremely high overhead. The cost of such a fancy building and up keep is so high you better expect that this guy will be charging full retail and trying to squeeze every penny out of you he can to afford to keep the lights on.

I would prefer a less luxerious establishment that still gives me great service and pass some of that lower overhead back to me with a nice price break on my bike.

Speaking from experiance, I started, owned and managed a shop for some years and its not a glamourus venture.

Just speculation.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think any stand alone Indian dealer could pay for all the expence with only 3 bike models. They need to have Victory also. Our Indian dealer has Victory, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, and Can-Am. They have cycles and also other powersports. The Victory and Indian are in a seperate showroom/building together next to the main building.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I have heard Vic Dealers were offered Indians but had to have a seperate showroom that Polaris would approve prior to inking a deal.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Las Vegas, the A-Team dealership which sells Vics as well as Moto Guzzi will also be the sole Southern Nevada Indian dealership. They cleared out the rear of the store and have Indian signs and some clothing - just waiting for a few bikes now. They start arriving next week from what I've been told.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When they decide to make the SCOUT I'm going to campaign to have the name changed to SCOUT ANDY for his keen eye and his intuition just like a Indian Scout.
Which makes me think of this story: Our Prime Minister was up north at a Indian Reservation and was asked to say a few words, An hour and a half had gone by and the Chief stood up and thanked him and as a tradition they would give him an Indian name and his name would be WALKING EAGLE. The Prime Minister was delighted and thanked the people and drove.off. Well a reporter was standing by the Chief when the car drove away and asked what the meaning of the name WALKING EAGLE meant and the chief said as he waved the politician goodbye, it meant bird full of shit, can't fly.....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Suzuki feeling the squeeze! Montgomery Power Sports will have to clear out 1/3 or the entire right side of this picture to house the Indian brand. The construction has not begun, so I'm guessing Hawaii won't see the new Indians until Q1 or Q2 of 2014. This is MPS's new dealership that they just opened a few weeks ago.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Engelharts in Madison has a dedicated building with Indian to the left, Victory to the right, and used HD's up stairs. Most of the decor throughout the building is 'Indian'.

http://www.engelhart.com/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts