Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am not ready yet for a sidecar build on my Roadmaster, I was looking on the Internet what's on the market today and I found this.
Think this is a very solid construction and all Indian Motorcycles are strong enough to build it on. Link to the website below. Maybe something for me later ....
Zijspan Indian LT.jpeg

IWAN BIKES - GMBH

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main thing, is to mate a sidecar heavy enough to the bike you're bolting it too. You don't want a super light one that was designed for a Vespa, for something small displacement. They would be too easy to become airborne, and would be dangerous to you, your passenger, and the public.
Thanks for your advice. Never thought about that issue. I do understand what you mean.
Is there such a thing as a mathematical calculation how heavy the sidecar should be at least, for the Roadmaster? Or any idea?
Or is it just the 'visual proportion' to keep the balance ?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Never thought about that issue. I do understand what you mean.
Is there such a thing as a mathematical calculation how heavy the sidecar should be at least, for the Roadmaster? Or any idea?
Or is it just the 'visual proportion' to keep the balance ?
Not that I'm aware of, but most sidecar manufacturers will advise you correctly, and steer you towards a heavyweight sidecar.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello.
I've already flirted with something like that.
the Walter-Rigs are just great.
but one should assume an entry price of approx. 12500.00 euros for the roadmaster

walter_1.JPG walter_2.JPG walter_3.JPG

Greetings from Düsseldorf
MacLeod

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
I would imagine a Scout would need a lighter sidecar but not too light like a scooter sidecar. I think Hannigan had one for the Scout if I can remember correctly.

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello.
I've already flirted with something like that.
the Walter-Rigs are just great.
but one should assume an entry price of approx. 12500.00 euros for the roadmaster

View attachment 578765 View attachment 578766 View attachment 578767

Greetings from Düsseldorf
MacLeod
This is IMO one of the most beautiful sidecars on the Roadmaster ! The shape of it and it looks very comfortable for the passenger too.
I LIKE, where is that 'winner' button ?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
If they could add a grille, similar to the shape of the 1933 Ford grille they copied, they would have a definite winner! There are many enthusiasts and car designers who believe that grille is the most beautiful automotive grille ever designed. You might suggest that to the manufacturer. They would have a definite market here in the states!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
I could dig having a sidecar for my Scout if the cost doesn't break the bank. My wife can't get on & off a pillion due to her knee replacement causing limited joint mobility. A sidecar might get her back riding with me again. I could also have a seat belt in there to attach my dog's harness and take her along for some rides as well.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Although I am not ready yet for a sidecar build on my Roadmaster, I was looking on the Internet what's on the market today and I found this.
Think this is a very solid construction and all Indian Motorcycles are strong enough to build it on. Link to the website below. Maybe something for me later ....
View attachment 578661

IWAN BIKES - GMBH
I just emailed them. They're not exporting that cool sidecar. They build it in-house with only 8 employees, and have orders backed up, out the door. I have my tongue hanging out for that sidecar! Lol!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
If they could add a grille, similar to the shape of the 1933 Ford grille they copied, they would have a definite winner! There are many enthusiasts and car designers who believe that grille is the most beautiful automotive grille ever designed. You might suggest that to the manufacturer. They would have a definite market here in the states!
View attachment 578895

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had mine installed in '17. Hannigan. Top door--side door. Never intended to make this addition permanent as it would be in my garage most of the time. But when I had it on, I had to "drive" my sidecar instead of "riding" my bike. It pulled under acceleration and was worse when breaking. I had the sidecar on for a couple months, and after removing, I had to retrain myself how to ride, even with fifty years under my gut. Turns out Wife doesn't like it anymore. Thirteen thousand. Aargh.

·
Rider
360 Posts
I would add that riding a cycle with a sidecar is a totally different animal! I had a bike with a hack for about 3 years for my wif who could't get on the back seat anymore because of health issues. It WAS fun but a TOTALLY different driving experience! Just stating the obvious!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts