Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice or experience please. Just received an enrollment form for the IMC protection plan. Is it worth it? I have a five year loan. Knowing I have two years with purchase I was thinking about adding 3 years but I want to hear from everyone to see if it’s worth it and what does it cover. Sorry if it’s been covered already.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
I got mine when I bought the bike. 1,200 for an added 60 months. Grand total 84 month warranty. 50.00 fixes anything mechanical. Seems worth it to me! It does lock you down on certain types of mods though...

Reactions: bravo

·
Super Moderator
4,916 Posts
Some advice or experience please. Just received an enrollment form for the IMC protection plan. Is it worth it? I have a five year loan. Knowing I have two years with purchase I was thinking about adding 3 years but I want to hear from everyone to see if it’s worth it and what does it cover. Sorry if it’s been covered already.
http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/extended-warranty.230452/#post-2604638

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/indian-extended-warranty.228764/#post-2595044

If you want you can type in "extended warranty" in the search bar on the top right, there are pages of folks opinions.

I can paraphrase, not being a sarcastic either. If you have a lot of money and can afford to repair your bike, don't buy it and pay for the repairs yourself. If you don't have a lot of money you may want to consider some protection if you like the "peace of mind" thing. If you do buy one, make sure it's the Polaris Service Contract, not an aftermarket.

I have a 2014, it has the Polaris Service Contract. So far, I've had a porous cylinder head replaced and a VCM (body control module) replaced under the warranty. First repair was a couple thousand and the VCM was $1300, each time I rode away paying only $50.

That is my experience with the Polaris Service Contract.

·
Bronze member
1,967 Posts
Don’t waste your money and self warranty. Put the cost per month in a separate bank account for repairs each month. Maybe even a few bucks more. If you need repairs the money is there. If you don’t the money is still there. $50 deductibles and stuff they won’t cover will never be an issue. Neither will fighting with them over a claim and I can almost guarantee you that will happen. Ive done this for years and it works. JMHO.

Reactions: K2V2

·
Founding member
1,167 Posts
I have a 2014 and had to use my warranty a couple times with no hassles. Just this weekend I noticed some rust on my front fender and sent a picture to see if it was still able to be replaced under warranty. Even though I'm now on extended warranty, they are replacing it for free. I can only say good things about my experience, so to me itsi a no brainer.

·
Bronze member
1,314 Posts
It isn't worth it to me but it has nothing to do with the cost. For everything I need done, I'd have to go to the dealership, they take pictures and send them in, a week later, they want more pictures, I go back. If it gets approved, I have to go back again to actually get the work done. I have to work for a living so I can't spend all my time riding back and forth to the dealership. I may as well pay cash to avoid the headaches of months it has taken to address warranty issues in the past. Like @Ironbutt70, I also keep a savings account for the bike, much like an escrow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For peace go mind, the extended plan is great to have.
Usually I do not purchase extended plans on anything, not with it.
But with motorcycles, there are lots of things that can go bad and quite expensive to repair / replace.

With that said, I would buy the plan.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is the cost of the extended warranty the same or is it different based on dealer to dealer. I never thought that could be the case but my last bike (GL1800) there were a couple of dealers selling Honda warranties much cheaper than you could purchase through the factory and they were Official Honda service plans. I did purchase it for peace of mind and never used it. Hope the same with the RM.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is the cost of the extended warranty the same or is it different based on dealer to dealer. I never thought that could be the case but my last bike (GL1800) there were a couple of dealers selling Honda warranties much cheaper than you could purchase through the factory and they were Official Honda service plans. I did purchase it for peace of mind and never used it. Hope the same with the RM.
some dealers will discount.

·
Super Moderator
4,916 Posts
Service Contracts, from the manufacturer, have a set price to the dealership. The dealership adds to the cost for their profit, commission to sales/finance and possibly a dealer pack (dealership owners cut).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my bike with 560 miles already on it. Older gentleman bought new, but ended up trading it in for the Dark Horse. It still had a majority of the inital 2 year, plus I added 4 more. Dealership bundled with 3 year service agreement too, and to me was a no brainer. Like a lot of the other replies, it's a peace of mind struggle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts