Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 69ci engine is exactly 1,130cc, yet the badge on the European Scout is 1200. Overcompensating, Polaris? Size doesn't matter that much... I already own a 1200 Sporster, you don't have to worry...

1200.jpg

·
Registered
326 Posts
One of the demo scouts at my dealership had the 1200, and we were all trying to figure out what it was because it was so far off on the cc's. The dealer actually suspected it could have been a numbered bike.

·
Early joiner
213 Posts
that's interesting Meg - the Scout I first saw in November in Invercargill (deep south of NZ) had '1901' on that cover. Wonder what the final models will have...? - cheers, Pat

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
One of the demo scouts at my dealership had the 1200, and we were all trying to figure out what it was because it was so far off on the cc's. The dealer actually suspected it could have been a numbered bike.
Nah. I don't believe any of the Scot are numbered other than by their VIN. It's a marketing thing to be sure. The HD 1200 Sportster is a 74ci engine which is more than 1200cc. Polaris is simply trying to stay in the same class in the marketing of their bike.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said, men....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nah. I don't believe any of the Scot are numbered other than by their VIN. It's a marketing thing to be sure. The HD 1200 Sportster is a 74ci engine which is more than 1200cc. Polaris is simply trying to stay in the same class in the marketing of their bike.
We know that now, but how cool would numbering like that have been?

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a chic so I can tell this joke. But you'll have to google for the punchline. 'Why do women make lousy engineers?'

·
Founding member
1,070 Posts
Meggie You're right it's a men thing. But not what you suspect. It's just easier for us to remember 1200. Come on do we Y chromosomers generally have the extra brain power to waist any remembering 1137 or what ever it is. 1200 is ballpark.... good enough for us.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Meggie You're right it's a men thing. But not what you suspect. It's just easier for us to remember 1200. Come on do we Y chromosomers generally have the extra brain power to waist any remembering 1137 or what ever it is. 1200 is ballpark.... good enough for us.
Yep. Same as birthdays and anniversaries. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ok now that I've been able to stop laughing about we men not having extra brain power to "waist"... I have to wonder what a marketing organization run by women would measure on a bike.... the width of the saddle? ;-)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Men round up: size, income, etc..........Women round down: age, weight, etc
thus a balance is achieved.
Maybe that's why Maggie wrote the engine was 66ci at first...and the marketing team at Polaris had to round up to even out her rounding down. It's a vicious circle...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts