Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,539 Posts
Polaris is pretty good at lying, but make it sound good at the time-like they care. Example-when they decided to drop the Victory line, they promised customers parts for 10 yrs. Well that sounds like they are TRYING to keep customers happy. So-let’s say you need a set of shifter forks or a clutch drum. You go to your Polaris dealer to buy a/these parts. If your lucky they may have some NOS, chances are they have to order. The parts are on a shelf at some other dealer in the USA, not in Polaris warehouse. If they sold out your SOL. Oh and have a nice day. They want to compete w/HD, but $hit on customers in attempt to make maximum $$$.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Yes. They first gave people the option of keeping the chrome and getting a $300 voucher for accessories or apparel. I told them I didn't want gear, I wanted the bike I paid for. And the rep (Indian, not the dealer) said in writing they were not shipping new bikes with black shields, and that those who paid for black shields and still wanted them would get them.
Take the $300. voucher and buy black heat shields ????

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I would suggest having you selling dealer put the pressure on Indian. I guarantee you they have a factory rep that can make things happen if the dealer really pushes the issues and goes through the right channels. The dealer has some influence on making “Goodwill” warranty or parts claims happen. Some dealers or dealer staff are either just lazy or don’t know to use the Indian (Polaris) rep to leverage action.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That may be, but they should complete the bikes that were paid for first (and long ago) and shipped with the wrong shields before selling new ones with the correct ones.
That's just not how manufacturing and businesses operate; been in the corporate world in several respects from real estate and property management (commercial), to entertainment management etc. There's a reason why you can get a degree in supply chain management these days. The logistics for larger companies such as Polaris are incredibly complex. I was just reading another post in the "Order Status" thread where one person's Scout Rogue was being held up for electrical components, not the black exhaust. I have to believe that Indian is making a best effort to get product out the doors, but with supply chain issues some orders might be delayed longer... you do NOT want to start robbing from Peter to give to Paul, basically pulling from one 'almost finished' bike to complete another order; that's when big mistakes happen, and quality takes a dive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wait - people actually leave stock pipes on their bikes? 😂
LMAO... I'm one of those goof-balls that will probably spend the $700 on black heat shields and slip-ons... even though I already have a set of Freedom Performance Radical Radius sitting in my living room. I'd like to ride the bike stock for awhile just to enjoy it that way, then do some upgrades and completely mod the bike out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Polaris is pretty good at lying, but make it sound good at the time-like they care. Example-when they decided to drop the Victory line, they promised customers parts for 10 yrs. Well that sounds like they are TRYING to keep customers happy. So-let’s say you need a set of shifter forks or a clutch drum. You go to your Polaris dealer to buy a/these parts. If your lucky they may have some NOS, chances are they have to order. The parts are on a shelf at some other dealer in the USA, not in Polaris warehouse. If they sold out your SOL. Oh and have a nice day. They want to compete w/HD, but $hit on customers in attempt to make maximum $$$.
1) Let's not act like HD is the holy grail of bikes in any respect, especially when it comes to quality and customer relations; there's a reason they've almost gone out of business 4 or 5 times now.

2) Just because another dealership has the parts you want, doesn't mean 'Indian' has neglected to provide you with items. They can't be "indian givers" (get the pun?) and ask the dealerships for those parts back... the dealerships have already paid for them.

3) They are a for profit business, and thus should be approached like one. You're spending a lot of time and energy on typing in these forums. If I were you, I'd put together some clear and precise talking points (including dates/times) and ask to speak with the mfg. rep at your dealership. Don't be a hot head, don't be a jerk... be confident, direct, precise, and even tempered. Make sure to bring your sales paperwork with you, and show anyone at the dealership that will listen. There's also an online email form that you can utilize to send an email to Indian directly, and attach pictures. If it were me... I'd take a picture of the sales slip that shows the black exhaust, and a picture of my bike with chrome exhaust. I'd write a simple statement saying something like "Please see the attached photos, delivery of my bike shows that it's missing the correct parts that the sales slip clearly outlines. I'd like a response from Indian by EOB on Friday with confirmation of when you plan on sending the black heat shields etc. to my dealership for install. I'd also appreciate you clarifying with the dealership that I'm not to be charged for install. I'd really like to keep this pleasant before escalating so please contact me as soon as possible." I would NOT threaten an attorney in the message to the Indian mfg email, as soon as they see that they'll dismiss and fire off to legal who will let you sit and wait until you file against them.

^^^Does it look like I've done this before? I have... with SOA (Subaru of America) and a 2005 STi. Same with Ford (when Hans and Franz put the wrong headgastket in my Focus RS -Built in Germany). Oh and I forgot my 2002 Subaru WRX (year 1 of that car) came with a damaged turbo, thank goodness none of the broken parts were ingested by the engine grrrr.

·
Rider
522 Posts
I love an optimist but remember one thing: Polaris doesn't give a rats azz. They're not Ford or Subaru. The OP is in the right and I wish him luck on getting satisfaction, but it won't be because IM has just become extremely "customer-sensitive".

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love an optimist but remember one thing: Polaris doesn't give a rats azz. They're not Ford or Subaru. The OP is in the right and I wish him luck on getting satisfaction, but it won't be because IM has just become extremely "customer-sensitive".
Ford and Subaru are much bigger companies that sell 'commuter cars'... Polaris sells recreational vehicles; big difference in capital, and supply/demand. With disposable income being down with Covid/Market... I'm sure they're a little more sensitive to outside pressures these days.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
5,997 Posts
It is the principle. And attorneys will take it as consumer protection statutes provide for treble damages plus attorney's fees But I don't need an attorney, I am one and can file the suit myself.
So you’re an attorney… NOW it makes sense. Normal people may be a little annoyed but would never even consider suing over something as trivial as your “case”.

There’s a quote from Good Morning Vietnam you may want to think about. “You’re in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history."

Reactions: toma and LJB2Faces

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bigvoodood offered some sound advice. Attorney or not, I would follow that method before taking a legal route.
^^^Exactly

I only engaged an attorney ONCE, for lemon laws in Nevada against Subaru, and this was way back in 2005/2006. It was a multitude of issues with my STi, turbo went bad, cracked radiator seal, oil burning issues (they used the wrong filters, redesign issues), on the drive home it thru a wheel weight (sounded like a gunshot), and put a big dent in my left corner panel... this was all within 2-months of having the car with only 200miles on odo. When they fixed my vehicle from the body shop they got overspray all over the hood, they did take some clay to it but yeah, it was a mess! Nothing as simple as missing a couple matte black parts or I would have told them to just give me a $300.00 credit and I'll ride that to the bank.

That's actually another idea... maybe just ask the dealership for a $300.00 credit, ask Indian Motor Co. (or whatever their DBA is) for a credit... then use the credit to buy the shields or something else you want. Also want to make it clear that I'm not saying to "let it go", I'm just saying that maybe an adjustment of approach and tone would yield results.

Hell, when I was talking with Subaru even with the attorney on the phone, I was cracking some jokes and just keeping things light... made a joke about the wheel weight sounding like a gunshot "Yeah I picked my car up from your Malibu dealership and drove it back to Vegas, got lost in Compton before I found the right place... I was having flashbacks of that experience when I heard the weight hit the car lmao" Even the Subaru rep on the other end of the line starting laughing out loud.

I had an issue with Hyundai now that I think of it, my 2010 Sante Fe was purchased in Vegas the year before I moved to Raleigh NC., when I moved to the humidity of the South East Coast, one of my rear tail lights started to fill up with water; defective seal on the light. Hyundai initially didn't want to replace my light after 2yrs, so after arguing with Hyundai for a few months I put a video online and sent them a copy and photoshopped a fish swimming in my tail light (yeah it was a lot of water), then told them I'd be willing to sacrifice a guppy and put it in my light and drive around for a few weeks like that. They promptly called me back and told me which dealership I needed to go to in order to have the light replaced; and asked me to take the video down from YouTube lmao! I do get somewhat direct and nasty, but usually with some fun sarcasm and mockery.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, you can see the strides they have made on the newer Ride Command issues. (Don't be offended .... I'm just busting their chops..........lol). Ride safe.
No offense taken, I've just been in situations with BIG manufacturers, and I've never come out with them completely denying my claims. Most of the time if you continue to press they'll give you what you want. If Indian sends me a bum bike, I'm sure I'll have to work with them for a few months to get it squared away; it's part of life, and vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
57 Posts
That's just not how manufacturing and businesses operate; been in the corporate world in several respects from real estate and property management (commercial), to entertainment management etc. There's a reason why you can get a degree in supply chain management these days. The logistics for larger companies such as Polaris are incredibly complex. I was just reading another post in the "Order Status" thread where one person's Scout Rogue was being held up for electrical components, not the black exhaust. I have to believe that Indian is making a best effort to get product out the doors, but with supply chain issues some orders might be delayed longer... you do NOT want to start robbing from Peter to give to Paul, basically pulling from one 'almost finished' bike to complete another order; that's when big mistakes happen, and quality takes a dive.
That was me with the Rogue, Kelly from Indian corporate (Polaris) actually said it was both - electrical components/chips and black heat shields ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
LMAO... I'm one of those goof-balls that will probably spend the $700 on black heat shields and slip-ons... even though I already have a set of Freedom Performance Radical Radius sitting in my living room. I'd like to ride the bike stock for awhile just to enjoy it that way, then do some upgrades and completely mod the bike out.
I have the Freedom Performance Radical Radius waiting…

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't blame you. I hate chrome. I'm not sure how much I spent to get all the chrome off of my bike but it wasn't cheap. If I had ordered black and it came with chrome I wouldn't be happy. Iron Pony isn't very good either. I live 10 min from there and still went to Toledo to get the bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That was me with the Rogue, Kelly from Indian corporate (Polaris) actually said it was both - electrical components/chips and black heat shields ;)
I feel bad for ya... and the rest of us that are waiting. I dunno, there's a part of me that's frustrated, but I don't think there's a lot consumers can do at this point.

At first I was upset that my bobber wouldn't come with the black exhaust, but now I'm thankful for it; with things the way they are, it would probably mean additional delays. Can always rattle-can it with Krylon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I feel bad for ya... and the rest of us that are waiting. I dunno, there's a part of me that's frustrated, but I don't think there's a lot consumers can do at this point.

At first I was upset that my bobber wouldn't come with the black exhaust, but now I'm thankful for it; with things the way they are, it would probably mean additional delays. Can always rattle-can it with Krylon.
I am putting freedom radical radius pipes on so I don’t care. They are doing it for Bobbers and not Rogues anyway so I will likely get black.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts