Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I heard they would replace chrome heatshields with powdercoated ones but NEVER did they say they wouldn't ship other bikes, specifically dark horse models, before replacing all the chrome shipped heat shields. Who told you this?
Both my dealer and Indian. Indian expressly told me, in writing, that they were not shipping new bikes with black heat shields and any at dealers must be dealers installing the black shields from their own parts inventory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Both my dealer and Indian. Indian expressly told me, in writing, that they were not shipping new bikes with black heat shields and any at dealers must be dealers installing the black shields from their own parts inventory.
Then lets see the writing I suppose. I guess they could have made different statements based on different models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just to be specific and accurate here... this may be true in the OP's case. However, most of us who ordered at a later date/time may recall seeing the Scout Bobber image actually showing a chrome exhaust. For us, it's an aftermarket upgrade that we have to purchase.

If you were smart, you would have snapped a picture of your "order" on your personalized website showing the black exhaust. This would give you leverage, and you could raise cain with Indian; I wouldn't go thru your dealership they won't do jack for you. If you call up a few customer service reps with Indian they'll probably ship one out to you... just because it costs them more money to have to listen to you and answer your calls/emails, than the black heat shields. Otherwise, just spend the $299 on the black heat shields anId then order some slip-ons for fun.
I didn't need to snap a picture, it's on the order contract. And in writing when they delivered the bike with the chrome shields that they would replace them with the black shields.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its easy for me to say and I get your point, “ its the principle and they lost your trust, yada, yada” . Don't have a heart attack or stoke over this, its not worth it. Think of it as a fun project and….Paint them, remove them and wrap your exhaust, or wait and sometimes they come up for sale on here.

I don't think any attorney will take this unless it turns to a class action and then they’re going to profit and you will get a check in the mail for $7.50
It is the principle. And attorneys will take it as consumer protection statutes provide for treble damages plus attorney's fees But I don't need an attorney, I am one and can file the suit myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
wander how mad he would be if they just kept his bike until he got heat shields. guess he could take his shields off walk into the dealer and take tools and start swapping them out see what happens. i understand he wants black but the chrome cant look that bad and harbor freight has a powder coating kit then when u get your black ones you can sell a set to someone else upset over it.
The point is they shipped with chrome shields and promised to replace as soon as the black was in to keep people from canceling orders and getting refunds. now they're putting the black shields that should be going to the people who already paid for them, long ago, on new sales to sell those bikes because those people don't want the chrome either. And the chrome does look bad on a matte finish bike with everything else blacked out. But that's beside the point - they should give people what they pay for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes but BEFORE they shipped any other scoot with them?
Yes. I ordered the bike in June, 2021 with delivery estimated in 4-6 weeks. Finally delivered in October, and told Indian shipped with the chrome to avoid further delay but would replace with the black "as soon as they are available." Then this year they're shipping 2022 bikes with black heat shields.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes. I ordered the bike in June, 2021 with delivery estimated in 4-6 weeks. Finally delivered in October, and told Indian shipped with the chrome to avoid further delay but would replace with the black "as soon as they are available." Then this year they're shipping 2022 bikes with black heat shields.
But did they, meaning Indian, explicitly say that fulfilled orders with chrome shields would get matte before they shipped any on new builds?

Sounds like it needs to be run up the flagpole at Indian for leverage to get your shields shipped to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m happy for you if this is a pressing problem rather than food, gas, rent, life savings disappearing etc. If it makes you feel better I was able to get the black heat shields direct from my dealership for my Scout before it became a limited item and they do look great. I’m sure you will be happy with them.
He has realized already this is a first world issue, no need to crush him.
Not crushing me at all. Bikes are not necessities, and of course there are more important things in life. If it was just a supply chain issue it would be different. But the fact that it's not a necessity doesn't excuse Indian flat out lying to people, nor taking their money and then selling the person's product to another person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
But did they, meaning Indian, explicitly say that fulfilled orders with chrome shields would get matte before they shipped any on new builds?

Sounds like it needs to be run up the flagpole at Indian for leverage to get your shields shipped to you.
Yes. They first gave people the option of keeping the chrome and getting a $300 voucher for accessories or apparel. I told them I didn't want gear, I wanted the bike I paid for. And the rep (Indian, not the dealer) said in writing they were not shipping new bikes with black shields, and that those who paid for black shields and still wanted them would get them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes. They first gave people the option of keeping the chrome and getting a $300 voucher for accessories or apparel. I told them I didn't want gear, I wanted the bike I paid for. And the rep (Indian, not the dealer) said in writing they were not shipping new bikes with black shields, and that those who paid for black shields and still wanted them would get them.
Well, then good luck with your lawsuit.

I think one thing everyone should remember is that Indian probably isn't going to reach out to every customer that received chrome heatshields to see if they want them replaced. Best to reach out to them.

What is the first thing most people replace on their bikes first? Exhaust.

Guess I should blow the dust off the 2018 Bobber exhaust I got laying on the floor in the shed and get it on the market.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It makes sense for Indian to ship the new bikes with the black shields. Why would Indian not use the black shields at the factory on new bikes if they had them? If they kept installing chrome shields at the factory, even though black shields were available, that would only make it worse. They would have even more shields to replace. Thus, it makes sense that they start using them on new bikes first, and once supply is sufficient, retrofit the older bikes. You are definitely right on keeping on Indian to get your black shields, but I don't know how they could do that realistically before they have extra after new production is accounted for. You said they promised to do it backasswards, older bikes first, but that doesn't make sense for them to do that. They do owe you black shields though, at some point.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did you get it in writing lawyer? Rhetorical question......

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh, the little things that some find to complain about…
I agree. The supply chain has created an absolute disaster for many companies but on a positive outlook it's all to likely come crashing down before long. If the OP had spent as much time with the dealer/Indian/another solution as here he'd have his black shields and less lawyer bills. Powder coating is not that expensive, likely could have had the head shields black ceramic coated for around 100 bucks. Take the $300 in accessories and make $200 on the deal.

Indian cannot ship passenger select floorboard for months but are putting them on the new Challenger Elite...they are screwing customers and I'm going to sue!!!! 🤣😪😪🤣

·
Bronze member
2,266 Posts
Nothing really new here. PI has been putting profits ahead of customers for a very long time. Good luck with any lawsuit as I doubt it will go far.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts