Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MANY Scout Bobber buyers in the past year have been disappointed to see their bikes, pre-ordered and pre-paid for, delivered with chrome heat shields instead of black. Indian told customers they shipped them with chrome so customer wouldn't have to wait any longer (I waited 17 weeks) and they would replace the chrome with black heat shields as soon as the black heat shields were available. Indian blamed supply chain issues and claimed no black heat shields were available but they would install them as soon as they go them. Months and months pass. Indian and the dealer tell customers who've already paid for their bikes they'll receive their shields in the order they ordered their bike and denied shipping any new bikes with black heat shields, and that any at dealers with black heat shields were installed by the dealer from their stock.
They lie! I went in to my local dealer today and there sits a 2022 Bobber with black heat shields. A google search reveals others at dealerships around the country. Not stock photos, bikes available at the dealer for sale. My dealer, Iron Pony in Westerville, Ohio, admitted that the Bobber in their showroom arrived from the factory with black heat shields, and that Indian made the decision to put the black shields on new bikes to help sell them BEFORE providing them to the customers who'd already paid for theirs and have been waiting.
This is the 3rd, brand new, Indian I purchased within 4 years. I also purchased a Springfield and a Roadmaster. And this is how Indian treats its customers?
If you purchased a Bobber and it was delivered with the wrong heat shields, and you've been waiting, I think you've been lied to. In my opinion Indian committed fraud, and used heat shields we paid for to generate new sales - in effect stealing our property. I recommend filing a complaint with your state Attorney General consumer law division, and contacting an attorney and suing this lying fucking company.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
MANY Scout Bobber buyers in the past year have been disappointed to see their bikes, pre-ordered and pre-paid for, delivered with chrome heat shields instead of black. Indian told customers they shipped them with chrome so customer wouldn't have to wait any longer (I waited 17 weeks) and they would replace the chrome with black heat shields as soon as the black heat shields were available. Indian blamed supply chain issues and claimed no black heat shields were available but they would install them as soon as they go them. Months and months pass. Indian and the dealer tell customers who've already paid for their bikes they'll receive their shields in the order they ordered their bike and denied shipping any new bikes with black heat shields, and that any at dealers with black heat shields were installed by the dealer from their stock.
They lie! I went in to my local dealer today and there sits a 2022 Bobber with black heat shields. A google search reveals others at dealerships around the country. Not stock photos, bikes available at the dealer for sale. My dealer, Iron Pony in Westerville, Ohio, admitted that the Bobber in their showroom arrived from the factory with black heat shields, and that Indian made the decision to put the black shields on new bikes to help sell them BEFORE providing them to the customers who'd already paid for theirs and have been waiting.
This is the 3rd, brand new, Indian I purchased within 4 years. I also purchased a Springfield and a Roadmaster. And this is how Indian treats its customers?
If you purchased a Bobber and it was delivered with the wrong heat shields, and you've been waiting, I think you've been lied to. In my opinion Indian committed fraud, and used heat shields we paid for to generate new sales - in effect stealing our property. I recommend filing a complaint with your state Attorney General consumer law division, and contacting an attorney and suing this lying fucking company.
TAKE THEM OFF BUZZ BOMB THEM BLACK AND RIDE THE SHIT OUT IT ! THEN SUE THEM FOR $20.00 FOR THE PAINT SERIOSLY

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TAKE THEM OFF BUZZ BOMB THEM BLACK AND RIDE THE SHIT OUT IT ! THEN SUE THEM FOR $20.00 FOR THE PAINT SERIOSLY
Oh the lawsuit is coming. I've praised Indian for years, let others ride my bike to promote their product. I was patient and understanding - based upon lies. I can understand supply issues. But I cannot, will not, tolerate being blatantly lied to.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh the lawsuit is coming. I've praised Indian for years, let others ride my bike to promote their product. I was patient and understanding - based upon lies. I can understand supply issues. But I cannot, will not, tolerate being blatantly lied to.
Let others ride your bike? I thought you said you had your bike and have been riding it. So you dont have your bike?

Edit: Oh wait i get what you're saying, you let other people ride your bike so they can see how good Indian is.
But now you want to sue them because you have a part that does not match the rest of your bike. I am not sure how well that will hold up in court, if you can even find a lawyer that will take that on, but good luck to you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just to be specific and accurate here... this may be true in the OP's case. However, most of us who ordered at a later date/time may recall seeing the Scout Bobber image actually showing a chrome exhaust. For us, it's an aftermarket upgrade that we have to purchase.

If you were smart, you would have snapped a picture of your "order" on your personalized website showing the black exhaust. This would give you leverage, and you could raise cain with Indian; I wouldn't go thru your dealership they won't do jack for you. If you call up a few customer service reps with Indian they'll probably ship one out to you... just because it costs them more money to have to listen to you and answer your calls/emails, than the black heat shields. Otherwise, just spend the $299 on the black heat shields and then order some slip-ons for fun.

·
Registered
20 Scout 60 ABS, Thunder Black / 20 SF Burgundy/Titanium
266 Posts
Its easy for me to say and I get your point, “ its the principle and they lost your trust, yada, yada” . Don't have a heart attack or stoke over this, its not worth it. Think of it as a fun project and….Paint them, remove them and wrap your exhaust, or wait and sometimes they come up for sale on here.

I don't think any attorney will take this unless it turns to a class action and then they’re going to profit and you will get a check in the mail for $7.50

·
Registered
134 Posts
Its easy for me to say and I get your point, “ its the principle and they lost your trust, yada, yada” . Don't have a heart attack or stoke over this, its not worth it. Think of it as a fun project and….Paint them, remove them and wrap your exhaust, or wait and sometimes they come up for sale on here.

I don't think any attorney will take this unless it turns to a class action and then they’re going to profit and you will get a check in the mail for $7.50
Yeah I forgot about wrapping... that's actually a pretty 'sick'/cool look... I might actually do that with mine.

·
Registered
20 Scout 60 ABS, Thunder Black / 20 SF Burgundy/Titanium
266 Posts
I’m happy for you if this is a pressing problem rather than food, gas, rent, life savings disappearing etc. If it makes you feel better I was able to get the black heat shields direct from my dealership for my Scout before it became a limited item and they do look great. I’m sure you will be happy with them.
Dude

·
Registered
495 Posts
wander how mad he would be if they just kept his bike until he got heat shields. guess he could take his shields off walk into the dealer and take tools and start swapping them out see what happens. i understand he wants black but the chrome cant look that bad and harbor freight has a powder coating kit then when u get your black ones you can sell a set to someone else upset over it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let others ride your bike? I thought you said you had your bike and have been riding it. So you dont have your bike?

Edit: Oh wait i get what you're saying, you let other people ride your bike so they can see how good Indian is.
But now you want to sue them because you have a part that does not match the rest of your bike. I am not sure how well that will hold up in court, if you can even find a lawyer that will take that on, but good luck to you.
I let others ride my Springfield and Roadmaster. And it's not just that a part doesn't match the rest of the bike, it's that it's not what I paid for. think of it this way. A company takes your money for a product you purchase. They then take that money and buy the product but instead of giving it to you they sell it to someone else. They've used your money to make a profit off selling something you paid for. Sound fair? Legal? As for "finding a lawyer that will take that on" - I am a lawyer. And luck is not a factor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I let others ride my Springfield and Roadmaster. And it's not just that a part doesn't match the rest of the bike, it's that it's not what I paid for. think of it this way. A company takes your money for a product you purchase. They then take that money and buy the product but instead of giving it to you they sell it to someone else. They've used your money to make a profit off selling something you paid for. Sound fair? Legal? As for "finding a lawyer that will take that on" - I am a lawyer. And luck is not a factor.
so if you have bought the indians you say you have your dealer should be taking care of you

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
There is a real supply issue with the black parts. A Cerokote company next to mine has 3 motorcycle companies scrambling parts to them from all over the country so they can catch up. They are also running parts for Rivian.

Many coaters do a poor quality job and will not pass for install, rejects are higher with some of the coaters so they are being pickier.

Reactions: Chiprivrat

·
Registered
141 Posts
I heard they would replace chrome heatshields with powdercoated ones but NEVER did they say they wouldn't ship other bikes, specifically dark horse models, before replacing all the chrome shipped heat shields. Who told you this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so if you have bought the indians you say you have your dealer should be taking care of you
There's no "if" - I bought 3, though two from one dealer and the third from another. But Indian is only shipping them on new bikes, not sending the shields themselves separately for those previously shipped with the wrong ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a real supply issue with the black parts. A Cerokote company next to mine has 3 motorcycle companies scrambling parts to them from all over the country so they can catch up. They are also running parts for Rivian.

Many coaters do a poor quality job and will not pass for install, rejects are higher with some of the coaters so they are being pickier.
That may be, but they should complete the bikes that were paid for first (and long ago) and shipped with the wrong shields before selling new ones with the correct ones.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts