Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 RM Classic, so, lots of leather. I have been thinking about how best to treat and preserve this leather, aside from what the vendor is saying. I have come to the conclusion that the surface we are treating is not leather but a plastic sealer of sorts. I found this video on the Net and it sort of reinforces my thoughts.
So, I still wonder how to handle my leather bags. We are really not treating leather with topical agents but trying to put a patina on a plastic protective cover. So, all the stuff about giving it Vvtamin B and lanolin seems like BS. What do you'all think?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well It's most definatly real leather. I use a saddle treatment that unfortunately you can't get anymore but it was basically bees wax on other thing. I'm sure there are other good ones out there. But I take the bags and trunk off every other month or so and clean them with regular white G-Jo it really gets them clean and the lanolin softens up the leather. Then I dry them off and rub the bees wax on let it set over night and wipe off the excess the next morning then I rub them down when ever they need it. But it is real leather

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
If your seats aren't real leather then someone replaced them. Did you but it used or new.
Most of the seats are not top grain leather. They are a combination of split leather, PU coated bonded leather, and PVC. The OP is correct. I replaced mine with a Corbin and that's leather.

·
Bronze member
2,837 Posts
Your IM seats are just as described in the video...it’s probably bonded or split split leather with a vinyl type coating adhered to the leather. No amount of conditioner will soak thru the coating. IM has had trouble with their “leather” seats. On my original RM seat the vinyl coating started coming off in sections almost immediately (it was replaced under warranty). If you look at any IM “leather” seat that’s got miles on it, you’ll see gray wear marks where the vinyl has worn away. If you’ve noticed, IM is trending away from leather seats to vinyl, which actually makes a better motorcycle seat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh well I guess I'm wrong. But the saddle treatment I use absolutely is absorbed by the seat just like it's leather and if it happens to sit in the rain like over night the seat soaks in water just like leather. I have a Corbin on my sportbike so I do know what leather is. So you're saying the bags and the seats are made of different types of leather? Oh well I'm happy with what I do to take care of the leather on my bike so I'll just stick with that. Good luck with whatever you chose to do and happy riding.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I am certain that my equipment is real leather but with a top coat that is likely plastic or similar. When I wash the bike, the water runs off all the leather but if I did that to my leather boots, they would soak it in. That said, what kind of treatment is appropriate for this kind of product? The leather protector that Indian provides seems to be a bit of snake oil. If the coating is put on to be water resistant (makes sense in this application) then how would oil or other products get through it? They won't. So, the oil we put on it would seem to just put a sheen on it and that's it. Seems like the best approach is to protect the plastic top-coat. Makes me wonder if something like Armour All with UV protection could be better, but that sure feels counter-intuitive. https://tinyurl.com/upyncnc Curious.

·
Silver member
3,481 Posts
I think you could put anything on it but nothing will do a lot for it. It may not need much. I use the snake oil paste they sell at the dealer or Lexol. Heck Vaseline might be as good.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts