Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
In my quest to get bags on my DH without dropping another 2k, I found out that Indian/Polaris makes a latch kit.
Quick Release Kit | Indian Motorcycle
Anybody know if this could be used on, say, viking bags to SECURELY attach bags to Indian spools?
These are not known to be super secure! They rely on expanded rubber to grip the inside of the spool. They can be forcibly pulled from the bike. The new style Indian attachments are screwed into place and are quite secure. They retain easy removal with the use of simple tools though. If you want to mount Viking bags, simple bolts through the bag sidewall seem to work pretty well. I have used them on two different installs with satisfactory results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how do factory Indian bags get around being more secure? Do they drop onto the spools somehow and the rubbers just secure them in place?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
So how do factory Indian bags get around being more secure? Do they drop onto the spools somehow and the rubbers just secure them in place?
The newer Indian spools/bags mounts use a special bolt rather than that older style quick-release lever. The older Indian hard bags rested on feet atop your exhaust slip-ons so required a little less strength up top to keep them on the bike. The older soft-bag design did have a metal hook device in addition to the expanding rubber plug... those were indeed known to fail in a number of cases.

·
Rider
500 Posts
The newer Indian spools/bags mounts use a special bolt rather than that older style quick-release lever. The older Indian hard bags rested on feet atop your exhaust slip-ons so required a little less strength up top to keep them on the bike. The older soft-bag design did have a metal hook device in addition to the expanding rubber plug... those were indeed known to fail in a number of cases.
So the newer bags don't rest on perches on top of the mufflers? Is this only the squared off Harley looking bags, or even the original curved hard bags too?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
So the newer bags don't rest on perches on top of the mufflers? Is this only the squared off Harley looking bags, or even the original curved hard bags too?
The newest hard bags rest on the same perches that the old ones do... I am only guessing that Polaris decided to up the security on these with the newer hardware up top.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
In over 10,000 miles of riding, I have never, not once, had one of my bags come off with the quick release latches. That being said, whenever I remove the bags to clean the bike, I make damn sure that they are locked in properly when I put them back on!

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
In over 10,000 miles of riding, I have never, not once, had one of my bags come off with the quick release latches. That being said, whenever I remove the bags to clean the bike, I make damn sure that they are locked in properly when I put them back on!
Likely true of 98 percent... but the security has been improved on 2019 models for sure. We have seen the quick release rubber let go before. Security may mean something different to different people as well. A thief who knows how these earlier bags attach can quickly defeat the clamps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great stuff to think about. I wonder if I could somehow set the viking bags up so that I can utilize all of that, fab some brackets so the bags sort of "hook" on the spools, then the QR latches, and finally the "exhaust feet" so all of the weight of the bags is more distributed. I think with those three things accomplished Id be pretty damn secure.

·
Rider
907 Posts
Having a 19 SF that came with the bolted bags. I bought the kit that you have linked. I wanted the quick release latches and installed them. Mine are very secure and actually quite hard to close and open. but they work well. Hindsight 20/20 I probably could have kept the stock bolt on setup and just used the wrench every time. My thinking was for cleaning and maintenance purposes that it would be beneficial to have the quick releases and it has been. It seems that for what Indian wants for the kit that it is costly but the hardware is very good and secure.

They give you the spools with the kit. Which IIRC they are billet aluminum. I can't remember but I believe if you have a bike that never had bags that you have to buy another kit to go with this one. Maybe a fender strut kit? That is going to add to your cost as well.

For your setup I would contact Viking Bags and ask them if their bags are compatible with the quick releases from Indian or if they have their own QR setup. Probably better to hear it straight from them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having a 19 SF that came with the bolted bags. I bought the kit that you have linked. I wanted the quick release latches and installed them. Mine are very secure and actually quite hard to close and open. but they work well. Hindsight 20/20 I probably could have kept the stock bolt on setup and just used the wrench every time. My thinking was for cleaning and maintenance purposes that it would be beneficial to have the quick releases and it has been. It seems that for what Indian wants for the kit that it is costly but the hardware is very good and secure.

They give you the spools with the kit. Which IIRC they are billet aluminum. I can't remember but I believe if you have a bike that never had bags that you have to buy another kit to go with this one. Maybe a fender strut kit? That is going to add to your cost as well.

For your setup I would contact Viking Bags and ask them if their bags are compatible with the quick releases from Indian or if they have their own QR setup. Probably better to hear it straight from them.
VB has they're own QR system but I don't like the way it looks. From what I can ascertain from the VB installs videos I've seen it looks like you drill your holes where you want then bold em on. That being said my DH already has spools (setup like a SDH) so I could just add the Indian quick releases to the bags and call it good...in theory. I did drop a line to VB though so we'll see if I get a response.

·
Rider
838 Posts
Obviously, it's totally up to you, but I have not spoken to anyone who has had any difficulty with the Quick Release Clamps. That doesn't mean that it's never happened, just that if it has, it must be extremely rare. I like the ease of taking/putting them off and on. The bolt-on baskets are just another reason why I'm happy with '17 DH Chieftain.

BD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts