Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone know, if this kit enables to jump start motorcycle from SAE blug? Too often my FTR runs out of battery and I wonder if this would help me to jump start my motorcycle without removing battery casket, instead from SAE blug.

Or any other recommendations to do the job?

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
Hello, does anyone know, if this kit enables to jump start motorcycle from SAE blug? Too often my FTR runs out of battery and I wonder if this would help me to jump start my motorcycle without removing battery casket, instead from SAE blug.

Or any other recommendations to do the job?
Usually, the SAE plug (if you’re talking about the plug used for a battery tender) isn’t heavy enough to be used for jump starting. You’ll probably fry the SAE plug wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the SAE plug (if you’re talking about the plug used for a battery tender) isn’t heavy enough to be used for a jump starting. You’ll fry the SAE plug wires.
Thank you for the warning! The bottom cable looks like an SAE blug, so that got me thinkin :) Otherwise I don`t see what is the point to have SAE cable on this kit?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not an SAE connector on jump start kit,it's a small jump start connector(polarized plug) similar to what you would see on a tow truck only smaller.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
Thank you for the warning! The bottom cable looks like an SAE blug, so that got me thinkin :) Otherwise I don`t see what is the point to have SAE cable on this kit?
It looks like that kit comes with heavy duty cables that hook to the battery. It also looks like it comes with an SAE tender that can hook to the heavy duty cables so you can use a battery tender. I’m speculating...but it looks like to jump start, you just disconnect the SAE tender wire from the heavy duty cables and connect the heavy duty jump cables.

If you have an SAE tender wire on your bike now you couldn’t use that to jumpstart due to its small gauge.

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
And it would most likely blow the inline fuse. It takes less than a min to remove the battery cover with the supplied tool, to hook up the clamp leads to the battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s true. My battery dies when I don’t drive 1-2 days. If I screw the battery box screws multiple time per week as the autumn comes closer I fear ruining screws with constant on & off. Why my battery dies is another issue which I am left on my own to solve by local dealer 😔

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
My battery dies when I don’t drive 1-2 days.
Then it’s broken. Any healthy battery should hold its charge for a few weeks. Since Covid-19 I only ride my bike once every two, three weeks typically and it always starts up no problem. Heck I tried my battery tender once after four weeks (because, science), but it reported my battery still full and refused to top it up.

If a battery dies in two days it needs to be replaced, not normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer tested fully charged battery and said it is fine. I still have issues and don’t know how to prove it. I plan to invest to equipment to measure exact voltages, another cost. Bike is 1 month old, have ridden 3000km, basically every day around 100 and battery is constantly dead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As ferrialo1 said.. spend this bucks in a new battery (a registered flag out of estonia..true?).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As ferrialo1 said.. spend this bucks in a new battery (a registered flag out of estonia..true?).
Estonia indeed. I would actually buy a new battery and go around local dealer, but I am not 100% certain at this point that there is`nt something else wrong. When I used a battery detector today then it showed on cold 12,74 and kept this number on idle as well. When I gave some gas, it jumped 14,60 and all looked wel, it charged as expected. So technically battery looks fine. It seems it loses power when parked over a day or more. Next plan is unplug battery for a coupe of days and then see if it has discharged without connected to the bike - to eliminate possibility that something on a bike consumes power.

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
And the battery is a year and a half old. Doing nothing all this time except self-discharge. That’s the problem.

Where are the days that the dealer added the electrolyte only the day before you picked it up?
Ah, fillable batteries and carburetors...thems was the days...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dealer has probably put a multi meter across your battery and gone yeah close enough to 12 volts, it’s good...but not tested it for load...most batteries will show near 12 volts just sitting if they are not totally stuffed but under any load they will usually pancake and fail...mind you even with a multimeter across the terminals a bad battery will show a drop on the meter...I would agree with most here, she’s rat shit mate...💩🥴👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have aftermarket turn signals or accessories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, no add on`s or anything. Also I have base model with analog spidometer so there should`nt be any source draining the power exessivly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Estonia ...... I heard you have very small license plates on motorcycles (or is this only for oldtimers?). Is the rear fender still original or re-wired to a nicer plate holder?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Estonia ...... I heard you have very small license plates on motorcycles (or is this only for oldtimers?). Is the rear fender still original or re-wired to a nicer plate holder?
Actually license plates are somewhat the same size - 4 digits required, 00 AA for example. Plus,nr light separately is required and rear reflector. Actually I am not bothered by the rear fender, I actually like that the rear light area is "clean", seat is up in the air visual. We also have often rainy days here and this rear tender protects from splashing all the water to my back, although not super well as we all have experienced probably :)

Computer changed my flag to Norwegian when I logged in via my business account but I am still located in Baltics - Estonia.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts