Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to take my Chief on some upcoming trips. I need my hitch for my camper trailer so my options are to put the bike in the back of my truck or leave her in the garage. There isn't room to have the tailgate down (it would hit the trailer jack) so I'd have to get it up there without the tailgate. I've seen people ride it up a long wide ramp or push (with clutch) it up side-by-side ramps. Anyone here have any experience with this endeavor? Advice welcome.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
I've carried a Street Glide in my standard size Dodge pickup. The rear tire sat on the tailgate, near the hinge. You didn’t mention what size bed you have, but I wouldn’t hesitate to ride my bike up one of those wide ramps that have room for your feet. You’ll want to buy one that doesn’t have such a steep climb that the belly of the bike drags on the ramp. I would use a chock on the front wheel. One issue you’ll have to address...do you also have room to transport the ramp?

·
Rider
943 Posts
I have taken my bikes in the back of pickups for years. The last time I did it I took 2x12s and made a T and where the stem hit the cross I mounted a wheel chalk. So the bike was only on the 2x12s. I did leave the tailgate on the truck but if you believe that a 2x12 will hold up the bike then it could be removed maybe leaving enough room. I use a ramp like below and bring it with all I have to do is find a small V shape in the landscape. Like where a driveway might meet a street. If that is not possible then maybe find a business with a loading dock you could borrow to offload the bike. Hope this helps or stirs your imagination to create something of your own.

EDIT: oh I ride the bike up and into the chalk, the chalk holds the bike and I can get off and tie it down in 4 places. Another thought is if you don't believe the 2x12s will hold adding some 2" angle iron on the bottom corners of the 2x12 will help out with the load.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Tie down bracket I add these brackets because I didn't like any of the ideas or places that others are tieing down to. A ROYAL PITA to install but very clean looking and I leave them on as we have a motorcycle lift and use them for that also. Different bracket that a buddy used on his bike not as clean to me but VERY easy to install.

People tell me they like tying down below the forks as that takes the bounce out of the equation. I compress my forks quite a bit. Don't remember how far off hand but a lot. I used to compress my HD to a 1/4" above the bed rail and had another customer at a shop tell me that it would hit I said "If the bike were to hit the bed rail for some reason the bike would be the least of my problems." The shop owner agreed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To heavy imo to load and unload unless you have a 100yd ramp lol. I've thought about this since I purchased my indian while on the road living in my travel trailer. Unfortunately my titan has a 6.5 bed and I have a tool box in it, the chief will not fit in mine. Plus the truck is 4x4 and has a small lift.

Just be careful loading it, racing motocross some of the biggest Injuries I've seen at the track were guys unloading and loading bikes. Those were 200 pound moto bikes not 800 pound cruisers lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tie down bracket I add these brackets because I didn't like any of the ideas or places that others are tieing down to. A ROYAL PITA to install but very clean looking and I leave them on as we have a motorcycle lift and use them for that also. Different bracket that a buddy used on his bike not as clean to me but VERY easy to install.

People tell me they like tying down below the forks as that takes the bounce out of the equation. I compress my forks quite a bit. Don't remember how far off hand but a lot. I used to compress my HD to a 1/4" above the bed rail and had another customer at a shop tell me that it would hit I said "If the bike were to hit the bed rail for some reason the bike would be the least of my problems." The shop owner agreed.
The issue with compressing forks that much for any length of time is blowing fork seals. Tying below eliminates that and let's the bikes suspension work as your traveling. On our moto bikes, we put a piece of PVC pipe inbetween the fender and tire when we tied them down......

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've seen people put a sheet of plywood (3/4" CDX, I'm sure) in the bed of the truck when the tailgate is down to help from putting too much stress on the tailgate... OP wants to put the bike in the bed with the tailgate up, so obviously bed length will be his main determining factor. Have you looked into the bike hitch carriers which can be mounted on the rear of your trailer? I'm sure the cost for one that could carry a cruiser would be a pretty penny, but it is an option. Used to carry a TW200 on my hitch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Time to trade the camper in for a toy hauler. Lol.

Problem I see with the Chief in a truck bed and towing a camper is the bikes over 8ft long, and most long truck beds are exactly 8ft, so you do have about 6ins or so extra on the bike. So you def can’t close the tailgate(unless you get it in there cockeyed corner to corner, but that seems like a major hassle), might be able to remove it but you’ll have bike sticking out the end of the bed a bit.

One option I’ve seen that’s a bit pricey but makes loading/unloading/securing the bike pretty easy is the rampage lift. Mounts in the bed, uses a winch to haul the bike in and out(so no pushing or riding into bed, and no risk of dropping while loading), and holds nice and secure so a few inches out the back won’t be too big a deal.

·
German Rider
1,646 Posts
Open tailgate plus hitchextender COULD be an option, depending on truck, trailer, towing rates, etc.

If not, toy hauler.

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member
989 Posts
Jason back in the day I used to load and unload my FXRS and it wasn’t too bad. I was younger and a lot stronger then and that bike wasn’t as heavy as my Indian. The Indian is a big heavy bike and things can go wrong loading and unloading in a pickup. If I was you, and you have the means, and taking you bike with you is something you see yourself doing a lot going forward, I would look at trading the camper you have now for a toy hauler. It’s a lot safer way to take your bike, it’s secure and out of the weather, and you are much less likely to damage it on your trips. Best of luck!

·
Rider
666 Posts
This is an early version of a Rampage lift in a Super Duty with a short (6 3/4") bed. If this were an 8' bed, and the lift was mounted all the way forward in the bed (mine is about 8" from the front edge), the tailgate would probably close. Even with the way mine is set up I can tow a trailer with the bike in the bed.
trucknbikepic.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am wanting to take my Chief on some upcoming trips. I need my hitch for my camper trailer so my options are to put the bike in the back of my truck or leave her in the garage. There isn't room to have the tailgate down (it would hit the trailer jack) so I'd have to get it up there without the tailgate. I've seen people ride it up a long wide ramp or push (with clutch) it up side-by-side ramps. Anyone here have any experience with this endeavor? Advice welcome.
Look at the Loadall system. I’ve been looking at this for a while too. Just installed it last week

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got a hitch extension for my camper This is the loadall system 1st time driving up the ramp was a little intimidating I have the Wheel Lock tire chock up front. Of course I still need to tie it down with straps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts