Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been quite a bit of discussion about Indian heritage and how it will affect their purchase decision going forward. I think some are mistaken that the big flowing fenders represent all the 'Indian Heritage.' Some say they won't buy because they don't like this heritage.

Indian has much more heritage than the big fenders. In fact, the big fenders are just a part of the heritage. Inidan was a very innovative company. They were designing new things. Their biggest heritage may be their comittment to new technology and design.

I don't think ALL Indians in the future will be the retro look we saw yesterday. Indiian 'heritage' demands new technology, innovation, and new thinking. I think many are going to be surprised with the future direction of Indian and what 'heritage' really means. That's why I think there is a good possibility that Victory will eventually be merged into Indian. Time will tell. But don't bet on Inidan ONLY putting out big fender, retro looking bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How true this is Indian ruled in just about every department when they did produce bikes, hope Polaris has the insight to continue this trend of INDIAN MOTORCYCLE HERITAGE
Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I agree Indian heritage is not a big fender bike, that was a small part of their heritage, I will say that retro bikes are what you will see from Polaris under the Indian name. Indian was a cutting edge bike in its day, more cutting edge then people liked. I ony hope that Victory will take the the cutting edge approach but who knows....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15166 said:
Too bad Victory can't do the same. If they could, why would Polaris need 'Indian'?
Two things come to mind...
1. They have done the same without the advantages of...
2. Name recognition. The Indian name recognition and heritage is a huge win in the market.

No one questions the technology advantages of a Victory over HD except the most staunch HD cool aid drinkers. Much of the future will depend on how well Polaris (Victory and Indian) are at marketing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11482 said:
Two things come to mind...
1. They have done the same without the advantages of...
2. Name recognition. The Indian name recognition and heritage is a huge win in the market.

No one questions the technology advantages of a Victory over HD except the most staunch HD cool aid drinkers. Much of the future will depend on how well Polaris (Victory and Indian) are at marketing.

Indian Motorcycles have been marketed for decades.

Victory for 15 years.

Polaris has said no combining of the brands I expect them to keep their word

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
11482 said:
There has been quite a bit of discussion about Indian heritage and how it will affect their purchase decision going forward. I think some are mistaken that the big flowing fenders represent all the 'Indian Heritage.' Some say they won't buy because they don't like this heritage.

Indian has much more heritage than the big fenders. In fact, the big fenders are just a part of the heritage. Inidan was a very innovative company. They were designing new things. Their biggest heritage may be their comittment to new technology and design.

I don't think ALL Indians in the future will be the retro look we saw yesterday. Indiian 'heritage' demands new technology, innovation, and new thinking. I think many are going to be surprised with the future direction of Indian and what 'heritage' really means. That's why I think there is a good possibility that Victory will eventually be merged into Indian. Time will tell. But don't bet on Inidan ONLY putting out big fender, retro looking bikes.

I hope you are wrong about a merging. Retro is cool, but it's not for all. Quite frankly if the bike I saw when I bought my XR had been any one of the new Indians, I would still be riding my V-Star. Indian WILL indeed take a lot more Harley riders than Victory and rightfully so. HD has more business than they can handle as evidenced by their sales/service team attitude. Polaris has an opportunity to make a run on HD based on reliability, forward thinking and nostalgia with TWO American bikes. Has HD been outflanked? ONLY if Polaris recognizes the importance of superior sales/service and the availability of it. Sentimentally, remember that Victory IS Polaris' baby. I hope Polaris is successful in reviving Indian. However, the past remains the future if you forget it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
845 said:
While I agree Indian heritage is not a big fender bike, that was a small part of their heritage, I will say that retro bikes are what you will see from Polaris under the Indian name. Indian was a cutting edge bike in its day, more cutting edge then people liked. I ony hope that Victory will take the the cutting edge approach but who knows....
It seems to me Indian can't simply produce ONLY big fender retro designs in the long term if they want to be successful. I tihnk Victory will some way represent the technological innovation heritage needed for LONG TERM success. That's why this idea of joinging the two either as one motorcycle company or by strategy... keeps nagging my mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
11482 said:
It seems to me Indian can't simply produce ONLY big fender retro designs in the long term if they want to be successful. I tihnk Victory will some way represent the technological innovation heritage needed for LONG TERM success. That's why this idea of joinging the two either as one motorcycle company or by strategy... keeps nagging my mind.

To do so would destroy any credability Polaris has in the motor vehicle industry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
15166 said:
Too bad Victory can't do the same. If they could, why would Polaris need 'Indian'?

Who said they haven't already? We've all seen enough of your posts to know where you come from. But contrary to your own anti Polaris bias the reason most of us have bought and love Victory is because they have succeeded already at this.
Victory has been turning profits for some time now. Polaris doesn't 'need' Indian. But as those of us who are truly familiar with Polaris (not you) already know, these guys love motorcycles. They don't need Indian, they want Indian. Why have one brand when you can have two? Victory is for riders like me. Indian is for riders that want something else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4902 said:
Who said they haven't already? We've all seen enough of your posts to know where you come from. But contrary to your own anti Polaris bias the reason most of us have bought and love Victory is because they have succeeded already at this. Victory has been turning profits for some time now. Polaris doesn't 'need' Indian. But as those of us who are truly familiar with Polaris (not you) already know, these guys love motorcycles. They don't need Indian, they want Indian. Why have one brand when you can have two? Victory is for riders like me. Indian is for riders that want something else.
r

don't forget riders like DSJR who need one of every brand now Polaris is selling him two #1's a year

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they could go either way. On one hand the Indian moniker is more recognized by the general public. If the Indian sales eventually eclipse Victory sales then why not make them one brand Indian/Victory. On the other hand the automobile industry has a long history of different labels like Ford, Mercury, Lincoln or Chevy, Pontiac etc. They could keep them separate, keeping Indians with a more classic look and Vics trending more cutting edge and modern. Seems to me the 'heritage' moniker shackles them and limits what they are able to introduce to new Indian bikes. The thought of the Chieftain with hard lowers and a inline 4 cylinder is somehow unappealing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a very loyal Victory rider, but this new Indian Chieftain is something else! I am now questioning whether or not I will be getting the CC or the Indian! I have to say I am leaning toward the Chieftian!! Looks like they did a hell of a job on all three bikes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking that I would like to have both. The new Indians hit the same note with me that the vics did. The Polaris designers and marketers have done one hell of a job with both IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This discussion reminds me of when I was younger and trying to decide between a camaro or a firebird. In case you missed it, both companies were owned by the same parent corporation, namely General Motors. One could surmise that Polaris is attempting to be the GM of the motorcycle industry. And while we disliked the fact that parts were shared between the camaro and firebird, we could not deny the fact that both cars were desirable (at least most years other than the 80's). So what if they share starters, almost everyone uses some parts that are used by others. What really matters is creating a different look and rider experience. For that we are having to wait for a personal demo ride, either at Sturgis or at some dealership.
So far, what Polaris has been able to do is create a new (retro) unique look that appears to have caught the eye of more than just a few. I, for one, will be watching to see where they take this new line. Will it be a plain chevy or a glitzed up cadillac? Only time will tell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
15166 said:
I don't think Polaris needs 'indian'
i think it is an attempt to get a larger slice of Harley Davidsons Market. the most common reasons given for buying a harley are
1 american made, 2 heratge

1 American Made
With the intro of Victory reason 1 went out the window, and those that truly bought Harley for 'made in americia' had a choice Most of the converts waited to see if this upstart would be a flash in the pan before give victory a serious look and i dont blame them.

2 Heratge
Victory wisely decided to not be a Harley clone, and set there own style. What they are is an american made metric, not in just the nuts and bolts but in style and preformance. But I dont thick victory understood how strong the heratage attachment was.

They had two choices make a Harley style bike under the victory name which goes against what they set out to do with victory and looks like 'if you cant beat them Join them' or go after indian.

From what ive seen it comes down to style, which i think they nailed it, and depenability, which only time will tell

as far as victory dointhe same i think we will see some cross pollenation of techonoligy between the two brands, but i think they will keep the styles as distinct from each other as possible

1 - 17 of 17 Posts