Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just purchased a left over 2019 Chieftain Limited and this may seem miniscule, but the Indian head on the front fender does not light up. I previously had a 2016 Chief Vintage and the head did light up on that. I guess I just want to know if it is, or is not supposed to illuminate. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
oinkoinkdabeerjoint!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it had a light, I guess you should see a small black cable coming from the front fender, up along the left hand calliper.

·
German Rider
921 Posts
Open fender = warbonnet not lighted
Fenderskirts = lighted

Just buy the lighted version at your local indian dealership and replace it. The connector should be behind the headlight. You also could change to the newer version from the Challenger model.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
2,055 Posts
I seem to recall IMs stated reason for not illuminating the warbonnet as being a lack of room beneath the fender for the wiring. However, I suspect it could be done...probably a cost saving move by IM.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I seem to recall IMs stated reason for not illuminating the warbonnet as being a lack of room beneath the fender for the wiring. However, I suspect it could be done...probably a cost saving move by IM.
That may be the reason. There are four threaded pegs underneath the full fender that zipties slide onto to hold the wire. Those may not be there in the open fender.

·
German Rider
921 Posts
You can glue the cable with glue, JBWeld for example, inside/underneath the fender. A lot people here installed the lighted version on their open fender here. Even the new Challenger version is possible.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
1,095 Posts
Not lit on limited. I wonder if the bonnet from the Challenger can be fitted to the Chieftain Limited if the radius and profile of the fenders are similar enough? The base Challenger also lacks a lit bonnet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The challenger headdress will work. I installed one my 2020 RMDH, open fender. You'll have to clean and silicone to underside of fender. Connector is behind headlight. Also install a lit war bonnet on a 2018 chieftain limited I had. Open fender, no war bonnet at all when I started. A very easy install. Make sure you get the gasket when ordering the war bonnet. Non lit are smaller than the lit ones.

·
Bronze member
2,690 Posts
Not lit on limited. I wonder if the bonnet from the Challenger can be fitted to the Chieftain Limited if the radius and profile of the fenders are similar enough? The base Challenger also lacks a lit bonnet.
yes it can... there is a how to video in the video section of one being put on a Springfield with the open fender.. it cost a lot more money than the regular war bonnet... the Limited War Bonnets can also be lit... there is a how to thread in the Chieftain section.. lots of guys have done it...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Before you install, you should also clean, dry, and seal the base of the lighted warbonnet with some clear RTV to prevent rust.

·
Bronze member
4,097 Posts
My 2018 Springfield DH was one of the early bikes with the open front fender and didn't have the warbonnet at all. I think so many people complained that they started adding one, slightly smaller and with no light inside.

I think there is a thread here somewhere about adding a light to the unlit one.

A friend gave me his original lighted warbonnet when his RM was written off and replaced. I sprayed the chrome with black Plastidip, drilled the fender, and it went on easily. There is already a connector for it behind the headlight as they all seem to use the same loom.

There is heaps of room under there for the cable. I taped mine into position, easy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've got a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse and the first thing I did was run a damn wire to the War Bonnet it so it lights up. Annoyed the HECK out of me that it didn't light up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts