Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day All,

New to the forum, heard great things about the community. I'm currently riding a stage 2 2014 cross country and looking into getting into a Indian. This bike I will be sharing with my Dad. he is riding a 800 vulcan classic. My question is what do you think is the lightest handling full size Indian. He has issues with his shoulder and am looking for something that is easy to moose around at low speed and in parking lots.

right not looking at the chief or Springfield but am open to suggestions.

Thank you all

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
994 Posts
The Springfield has less rake and slightly easier to handle than the Chief. The best thing to do is take your father for a test ride.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Springfield for sure.

Reactions: Kaz and Geoff-3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Copy that. Thank you guys for the feedback. Has anyone heard of a issue with the 45psi front tire wobble on the springfied or is that a myth?

·
Rider
816 Posts
Springfield gets my vote. Best handling heavyweight I’ve ever ridden. I keep my front at 46 and never had a problem.

·
Rider
428 Posts
I have never ridden a Springfield so wont argue with you guys but the Chieftain handles pretty damn light to other large cruisers I have ridden

·
Rider
967 Posts
I have a chieftain and the thing is weightless once moving. That being said a lot of guys in my group say the Springfield handles great also. I agree that a test ride is the best option.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I test road a Chieftain and although it’s a well balanced, good handling bike, the low speed characteristics were not as good as my Springfield.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a Vic Cross Country. Never could get it setup to suit me. Went back to my Suzuki C50 (an 800). Loved that bike but didn't like to do long trips on it. Wanted a tourer. Test rode a Vic Magnum, still front heavy. Test rode a Chieftain & bought it. I find it very well balanced & handles well.
Test them all & get what you both love.

·
Bronze member
1,660 Posts
As you can see in my profile, I have a Vic XC, an RM, Vintage and Springfield.

First, let me say, I am a fairly aggressive rider in the twisties and have taken all the MSF courses that can be taken. I like curves I guess! Regardless, of them all, the XC is still the best handling heavyweight bike I have ridden. The Springfield comes in second, and it's pretty close. RM is 3rd and the Vintage is last. That is solely on the basis of handling. Each have their own unique characteristics that I appreciate.

I find them all to be pretty "light" but that is completely subjective. in the end, it comes down to fairing or no fairing. If you and your dad want a fairing for the stereo, nav, whatever, then look at a Chieftan. If that's not what floats your boat, then definitely the Springfield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you can see in my profile, I have a Vic XC, an RM, Vintage and Springfield.

First, let me say, I am a fairly aggressive rider in the twisties and have taken all the MSF courses that can be taken. I like curves I guess! Regardless, of them all, the XC is still the best handling heavyweight bike I have ridden. The Springfield comes in second, and it's pretty close. RM is 3rd and the Vintage is last. That is solely on the basis of handling. Each have their own unique characteristics that I appreciate.

I find them all to be pretty "light" but that is completely subjective. in the end, it comes down to fairing or no fairing. If you and your dad want a fairing for the stereo, nav, whatever, then look at a Chieftan. If that's not what floats your boat, then definitely the Springfield.
Probably the inverted forks on the XC that aids to the handling. Would be nice to see a Indian with the same. Maybe the Raven/Raptor in 2020. Glad to hear I got a good one....

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
Copy that. Thank you guys for the feedback. Has anyone heard of a issue with the 45psi front tire wobble on the springfied or is that a myth?
The Indians don't wobble. The 46 psi is due to the shorter trail on the Springfield and balances it out better; especially riding 2 up.

·
Bronze member
1,660 Posts
Probably the inverted forks on the XC that aids to the handling. Would be nice to see a Indian with the same. Maybe the Raven/Raptor in 2020. Glad to hear I got a good one....
Yeah, it's likely many things, but the forks and 18" front wheel have something to do with it. And if the original spy pic is accurate (not the photoshop RG/Chieftan mash-up) the new bike appears to have inverted forks. If so, it'll certainly be interesting to see what it's all about.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a Chief Darkhorse, never test rode the Springfield, or any other Indian model, I have no problem handling it, I came from a Yamaha Vstar, turning the Chief is a little different than the Yamaha but nothing complicated, it just takes getting used to it. I have a bad right shoulder btw. But like everyone says, test ride as many as you can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went from a Victory CC to a Chieftain. The Chieftain handles great but, to me, doesn't feel as light and "flickable" as the CC. The Chieftain takes a little more work in the turns.
The stock seat on a Chieftain also sits you closer to the bars than a CC.
Love both of those bikes though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went from a Victory CC to a Chieftain. The Chieftain handles great but, to me, doesn't feel as light and "flickable" as the CC. The Chieftain takes a little more work in the turns.
The stock seat on a Chieftain also sits you closer to the bars than a CC.
Love both of those bikes though.
Thank you for the input. That's what I love about the XC, handles extremely well for such a large bike. Perhaps its best to see what 2020 brings. frame mounted fairing and inverted forks would be a sweet set up. Also rode a 2015 road king and a 2011 road glide but couldn't get over how heavy the king felt in the nose. The looks on the road glide don't speak to me either. LLoydz tells be there are good things coming down the line soon from Indian. We shall see.

·
Rider
593 Posts
The springfield steering feels lighter, but none of the big indians feel heavy. Once they are moving they all have a low center of gravity that makes them easy to handle. Just take a test spin. (seems to be a recurring theme)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts