Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indian FTR coolant change for extreme triple digit South TX Temps – I Switched to Evans Waterless Coolant – a hand held Mighty Vac came in very handy for the radiator – follow your Tech Manual (2.5 qts is plenty even for the reservoir- and Evans Flush) – without water, it builds no pressure in the system at extreme temps and runs cooler (when your kick stand starts sinking into the asphalt – when doing 80 and feels like a wall of fire……..it’s warm out there- lol) Tech manual link https://www.service-shop-repair-manual.com/2019-indian-ftr-1200-1200s-part-9929391-r01-service-shop-repair-manual/

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still running the Evans...? How's it working for you
I've checked it severals times, to see if it needed topping off (NO) not even the reservoir - no corrosion either - see Jay Leno's garage - it's for the life of the vehicle - it'll never build pressure in the cooling system, hoses and pump will last longer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh- one more thing..... when water based coolants start to break down, they become more conductive and electroplating occurs at 1 VDC + due to eddy currents in the block (Gunk from different metals) - if you bore scope an engine block you'll see. Evans doesn't do that - I'm not sure if they used a a silicone type based fluid? Your engine will have to be glowing cherry red and on fire, for the evans to boil over

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey fella, thanks for all the info on the Evans. Question for ya... I took my radiator cap off a couple of weeks ago.. Is the cap like a normal radiator cap or is it longer with a long spring. I was in a rush putting it back on as the coolant from the overflow was pouring out.... But in my panic I swear it had a longer spring. Thanks in advance fella 👍

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey fella, thanks for all the info on the Evans. Question for ya... I took my radiator cap off a couple of weeks ago.. Is the cap like a normal radiator cap or is it longer with a long spring. I was in a rush putting it back on as the coolant from the overflow was pouring out.... But in my panic I swear it had a longer spring. Thanks in advance fella 👍
Yeah- the first time I backed off the set screw on the cap for removal – it did over flow, and the engine was cold – luckily I had a rag around the base, in case it did that – my Triumph Commander did the same thing at first – it ran on Evans just fine after – I would guess there was a pressure bubble in the system – can you imagine the pressure when it’s at temp, the cap spring has a pressure rating (PSI) to vent to reservoir (the spring is average I guess) – when coolant pressure (PSI) pushes the spring open and allows excess pressure to the overflow or reservoir tank
basically over pressure is vented from a hot system - as it cools vacuum draws it back into the system from the reservoir - sometimes you may get a bubble in the system- overflows when you remove the cap - Water makes steam and build pressure -that's not gonna happen with waterless coolant

If your in England - don't worry about overheating, do worry about internal corrosion
- I'm in Southern Texas - I worry about both...............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh - and rubber hoses, expand under hi temps and pressure - as they cool - they squeeze the coolant - so don't worry about it overflowing - next time use a rag around the base............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts