Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Indian frame (2014-2015) same as the Victory line? If so, what parts may be interchangable - both OEM and after market? I am looking into a Trailer Hitch to tow a Uni-Go trailer, and some other additions for my 2015 Vintage.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
No it's not the same.

Here is a picture of the Indian Frame

Here is a picture of the Victory Cross Bike

I couldn't find a picture of the frame drawing for the Vegas frame but here are pictures of one for sale on eBay

·
Registered
425 Posts
I read somewhere (owner's manual?) that you should not tow with this bike. I don't know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Every Motorcycle owner's manual I have ever read in the last 46 years say you should not tow a trailer.
Motorcycle manufacturers don't want to be able to be held liable in court for any damage you do to the bike by towing, or by putting the bike under excessive load. Even with trucks, vehicles designed for towing, there is no SAE or other standard for determining tow ratings, each vehicle manufacturer determines their own method. Here in America, most people wouldn't use a car to tow, even a very light trailer but in Europe they do it all the time. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the terrific advice/information. I will abandon the idea of towing a small, lightweight storage unit (Uni-Go trailer), and stick with just what is onboard.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I remember back in the early 80's building a 98" stroker H-D bagger. The guy shows up with a pop up camper and rides away with it behind. He broke it in with the trailer. I think that motor was pretty much a oil burning pile when he got back from his trip.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bushtec trailer has a hitch for chieftian do not know if it will fit your bike. I plan to buy one in the spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bushtec trailer has a hitch for chieftian do not know if it will fit your bike. I plan to buy one in the spring.
I just ordered one from Bushtec today. It's not listed on their website yet because their isolation wiring harness won't be available till the end of the month (wire harness will be at an additional cost anyway).
Since I have built my own harness for the hitch I put on my Victory Vision, I am sure I can handle the one for my Vintage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy. Harley says the same thing for all thier bikes except the triglide. I once thought pulling a trailer with a bike was completely nuts but have learned don't knock it til ya try it. I've been pulling a bunk house pop up tent trailer: 30lbs tongue wt, 300 total wt loaded with enough camping crap and clothes for months for 10 yrs and probably 60,000+ miles Current ride is a 07 FLHPI with a warmed up 103" but had it on a 88" Roadglide prior to that. You are limited to 5th gear on the 6 speeds most of the time but the 5 speed did well in 5th. Milage went down to 35-40mpg. No unusual wear, problems with the engine/trans/suspension went thru rear tires a bit quicker but considering motel rates and even camp grounds, much cheaper in the long run, can always shower at truck stops free most places. Hardly know it's there til ya set up for the night, most anywhere. Has a room on the front for parking the bike in bad weather. All the comforts of home. I know the after market will be producing hitches and wiring kits. I used an adapter from walmart to run seperate turn signals/brake lights into a 4 prong flat trailer plug, all in the kit. I will be looking for a hitch for my Indian Classic I have no doubt it will handle the load even better. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts