Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my bike back from the dealer after installing Stage 2 Cams. I am happy with the performance as it is with the dealer flash. I have a PCVX on hand that I used to set up my Lloyd’s air filter and Rush true duals with warhorse mufflers 2.5 inch baffles.

Should I leave well enough alone or spend the $200 for remote tuning through Fuel Moto? I’m not sure what my gains would be, but look forward to hearing your input.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Why would you need to spend 200. I think FM would send you a generic tune to fit your newly installed Stage 2, with your current setup. Unless you bought the PVCX from somewhere else or they changed their policy,

If that's the case, and you're happy with current performance, maybe leave it as is for now and try it for a while.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you need to spend 200. I think FM would send you a generic tune to fit your newly installed Stage 2, with your current setup. Unless you bought the PVCX from somewhere else or they changed their policy,

If that's the case, and you're happy with current performance, maybe leave it as is for now and try it for a while.
Thanks for the input, I was a newbie to Indian and bought the PVCX before I learned about Fuel Moto.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,843 Posts
I recently got my bike back from the dealer after installing Stage 2 Cams. I am happy with the performance as it is with the dealer flash. I have a PCVX on hand that I used to set up my Lloyd’s air filter and Rush true duals with warhorse mufflers 2.5 inch baffles.

Should I leave well enough alone or spend the $200 for remote tuning through Fuel Moto? I’m not sure what my gains would be, but look forward to hearing your input.
My 15 RM is pretty close to what you have. I have teh Lloyds air cleaner, Fuel Moto Jackpot header and V and H down turn mufflers with the stage 2 cams. I found the factory flash to be pretty poor. The ignition timing is horrible. I caused a bunch of engine noises from 2100 to 2400 RPMs and I found the response of the engine skiddish and surging at lower power settings. I did the PCVX from Fuel Moto and immediately got rid of quite a bit of the engine noises and some fine tuning from CraigB1960 got the throttle response, fuel economy, and power band just about perfect for me. That is what make me realize just how bad the factory stage 2 tune is.

Ride the bike for a while and see if your opinion changes. To me, the money spend on the PVCX from Fuel Moto was the best money I invested in the bike. Craig even got me a map that gives me a bit more idle to warm up the engine quicker before dropping down to the normal idle. I love me bike again. Dean

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,843 Posts
BTW, there has been quite a bit of time spend developing the aftermarket stage 2 tunes. You do not need the wide band O2 sensors. This is not that radical of a tune to require them. Dean

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 15 RM is pretty close to what you have. I have teh Lloyds air cleaner, Fuel Moto Jackpot header and V and H down turn mufflers with the stage 2 cams. I found the factory flash to be pretty poor. The ignition timing is horrible. I caused a bunch of engine noises from 2100 to 2400 RPMs and I found the response of the engine skiddish and surging at lower power settings. I did the PCVX from Fuel Moto and immediately got rid of quite a bit of the engine noises and some fine tuning from CraigB1960 got the throttle response, fuel economy, and power band just about perfect for me. That is what make me realize just how bad the factory stage 2 tune is.

Ride the bike for a while and see if your opinion changes. To me, the money spend on the PVCX from Fuel Moto was the best money I invested in the bike. Craig even got me a map that gives me a bit more idle to warm up the engine quicker before dropping down to the normal idle. I love me bike again. Dean
Thanks Dean

·
Silver member
4,259 Posts
Then don't bother.
Ron,
I have tuned at least 350 bikes with narrowbands only and got very good tunes with them. Is WOT perfect? Most likely not, but it is good and safe. All the base tunes have been developed on my bike with widebands or FM with their dyno. So the high end is dialed in pretty good as is.

The OP had True Duals, which the factory tune is not optimal for. It does have a mid-rpm torque dip, which can be mitigated through tuning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron,
I have tuned at least 350 bikes with narrowbands only and got very good tunes with them. Is WOT perfect? Most likely not, but it is good and safe. All the base tunes have been developed on my bike with widebands or FM with their dyno. So the high end is dialed in pretty good as is.

The OP had True Duals, which the factory tune is not optimal for. It does have a mid-rpm torque dip, which can be mitigated through tuning.
Craig, are you one of the tuners I would be working with if I went with the $299 Fuel Moto remote tuning service?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’ve been working with Craig on my Roadmaster and all I can say is this is the best money spent on the bike ever! Craig really knows his stuff and has been a real pleasure to work with getting my bike to perform at its best.

·
Bronze member
1,277 Posts
Ron,

Please don't think I was saying it couldn't be done, I know what you have done for me and my bike. I thought the optimal tune would be with the widebands. I know with them you had my bike running great! If I hit it too hard I would get sideways! I have no doubt in what you could do tuning them. I am at fault then for thinking the fine tuning wouldn't be that good for just narrowbands.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am the only tuner that does this service for FM. So, sadly, you get me!
Ok I am IN! I’m going to wait a couple weeks for the weather to get consistently warm enough to ride every day so I can log rides. Do drastic ambient air temperature or humidity changes result in abnormal data logs?

·
Registered
403 Posts

He's talking about remote tuning. The tunes from this are catered to his bike specifically and not a universal generic one so they're able to squeeze the performance and whatever else out of his system. No bike is the same. No engine the same etc. The remote tunes take care of that.

·
Bronze member
1,277 Posts
Ok I am IN! I’m going to wait a couple weeks for the weather to get consistently warm enough to ride every day so I can log rides. Do drastic ambient air temperature or humidity changes result in abnormal data logs?
I have no complaints on what @CraigB1960 has done for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts