Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Have you been to the factory before?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coordinating a factory tour for Wednesday, June 5th, 2019. Typically, they do not schedule tours on Wednesdays, but I have been assured that if I can get at least TEN RIDERS to commit to the tour, my contact there will make it happen.

This is being done as part of my Lower 48 State ride this summer.

This is pretty straight forward. Can you promise to meet us to ride up to the Indian factory and Indian Experience Centre together? If so, please click the link below.

Indian Factory Tour

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,095 Posts
I was there in 2006 when Polaris was making the Victory Motorcycles. The American Victory Rally was held at nearby Arnolds Park amusement park and we got to tour the factory. At that time the Polaris ATVs and Ranger side-by-side was also being assembled there. There were four assembly lines operating with just one of them making the Victory bikes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was there in 2006 when Polaris was making the Victory Motorcycles. The American Victory Rally was held at nearby Arnolds Park amusement park and we got to tour the factory. At that time the Polaris ATVs and Ranger side-by-side was also being assembled there. There were four assembly lines operating with just one of them making the Victory bikes.
I wonder if there have been any changes beside Victory to Indian. I am looking forward to this and hope I can get enough riders on a Wednesday to have them give a tour on a "non-tour" day. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was there in 2013 or 2014 for the VMC Rally and they were making Vics and Indians across the Isle from each other.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was there in 2013 or 2014 for the VMC Rally and they were making Vics and Indians across the Isle from each other.
I miss my Vics, but I'm looking forward to the factory tour and seeing the Indians roll off the line.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,095 Posts
I know they moved all of the small ATV production to Mexico and all of the large ATV & Ranger production to Huntsville Alabama. Probably to make room for Scout and future FTR 1200 production at Spirit Lake.

·
Rider
444 Posts
I had planned on going in November, but the nice young lady who schedules them said there will be no tours till the release of the FTR.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
We planned one last year for our Chapter, but it got cancelled by Corporate, due to model year change over. Then they said they could give us an alternative date. Ended up it would have been Father's Day weekend to travel, no one wanted to go. So I kept after it and got our date set for May 17th this year, we have around 20 people going. So I hope this person that is your contact has some pull, otherwise it could be a let down for you. Keep after it, it will be worth it. We are planning a 4 day ride with stops in different cities along our travels. We put the Antique Archeaology ( American Pickers) shop, Buddy Holly crash site, Field of Dreams movie set, and National Motorcycle Museum on our itinerary. Make it fun and they will come!

·
German Rider
1,660 Posts
Perhaps someday, when I make it there.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: 360Bikers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had planned on going in November, but the nice young lady who schedules them said there will be no tours till the release of the FTR.
I hope I don't hit any snags like that. This is about 3,500 miles into my 48-state ride! I won't be back for a few years!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We planned one last year for our Chapter, but it got cancelled by Corporate, due to model year change over. Then they said they could give us an alternative date. Ended up it would have been Father's Day weekend to travel, no one wanted to go. So I kept after it and got our date set for May 17th this year, we have around 20 people going. So I hope this person that is your contact has some pull, otherwise it could be a let down for you. Keep after it, it will be worth it. We are planning a 4 day ride with stops in different cities along our travels. We put the Antique Archeaology ( American Pickers) shop, Buddy Holly crash site, Field of Dreams movie set, and National Motorcycle Museum on our itinerary. Make it fun and they will come!
I'm hoping I don't hit any snags like that. I've talked with the rep up there and it seems if I can get at least 10 commitments... I can get a custom tour. Connections can be good... sometimes.

·
Bronze member
3,398 Posts
It's damn close to the change over date (yes changing to the 2020 models) I hope your contact is legit. In the past basically May - July were off limits. If they get a date for the Renegade or Raven release it will be another cog in the wheel.

Reactions: 360Bikers

·
Bronze member
4,118 Posts
Don't remember who posted this, but they said that the factory tours are pretty restricted now and was kind of a let down. It was about a year ago. Anyone been recently?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't remember who posted this, but they said that the factory tours are pretty restricted now and was kind of a let down. It was about a year ago. Anyone been recently?
Have been told that it is restrictive for the average Joe off the street, but for IMRG members as a group, they do a more interesting tour. We had to be specific of when and how many from our group was coming in advance, so that they can cater the tour to us.

·
Bronze member
4,118 Posts
Have been told that it is restrictive for the average Joe off the street, but for IMRG members as a group, they do a more interesting tour. We had to be specific of when and how many from our group was coming in advance, so that they can cater the tour to us.

Makes sense, they most likely need to get your personal info and vet you for security do to the Export Compliant Laws that have been getting more restrictive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's damn close to the change over date (yes changing to the 2020 models) I hope your contact is legit. In the past basically May - July were off limits. If they get a date for the Renegade or Raven release it will be another cog in the wheel.
Thanks. Yes, I would consider her legit. She's the marketing manager. But there are caveats. First, I have to have at least 10 solid commitments. Then, I get to contact her again for final approval and scheduling. I will double-check that changeover as it is obviously an important factor. Thanks again!

·
Bronze Member
1,687 Posts
I contacted them in April of last year for a factory tour when the cannonball rally was stopping there on September 15th. They assured me that it was no problem, but they didn't schedule tours that far out and that I should call back in June. I called back in June and was told that there were not going to be doing any factory tours during that time. (they were however giving factory tours for cannonball rally participants)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts