Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory 2 year warranty for my RM expires soon. The only real issue has been a defective voltage regulator so far. I am seeking input as to how wise purchasing the Indian Extended Warranty would be. Has anyone used the extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Asked and answered many times over.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Google the question and add indianmotorcycles.net to the search. Lots of information.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Thanks for the answer.
The answer isn’t easy and it’s dependent on many factors. I wasn’t being evasive but long discussions on this topic are still developing.

Reactions: EssEll

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer isn’t easy and it’s dependent on many factors. I wasn’t being evasive but long discussions on this topic are still developing.
Telescopes,
Thank you for the clarity and I did not feel you were being evasive. I have viewed earlier posts and found some provide opinions, not experiential information. So, I am trying to find other RM riders who have RMs in excess of 20K miles. What tends to break? Has anyone used the Indian Protection Plan?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just cancelled an aftermarket one the dealer sold me, I have a year left on factory warranty. But am looking to replace with an Indian extended. I take long trips and the trip interruption coverage would be good peace of mind. I will be watching this post as well. Looks like it would pay for itself if you do a lot of miles, but would also like the early RM riders to chime in with what they have had fail.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Probably not too much of a help. I bought a 2016 in October of 2018 with just over 20k miles. It currently has 35k miles. It's been trouble and maintenance free other than oil changes.

·
Bronze member
3,633 Posts
The factory 2 year warranty for my RM expires soon. The only real issue has been a defective voltage regulator so far. I am seeking input as to how wise purchasing the Indian Extended Warranty would be. Has anyone used the extended warranty?

The Indian Protection (Extended Warranty is a service contract) Here is the fine print. Indian Motorcycle Protection Service Plan - Terms and Conditions

It is really up to you to decide if you think it is worth it. Some have used it and some haven't. many like the piece of mind for large repairs, and some figure they won't need it. You will pretty much get answers ranging from Yes and NO.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just got a new 19 roadmaster. I put on10,000 miles a year on my motorcycles
My 2016 had 24000 trouble free miles. The reason I replaced it was not because I was ready to get rid of it. A different post for another day.

Why did I get a 6year warranty? I am keeping this for at least that long and going to retire and this cuts my expenses if something goes wrong. I spent $1378 for 6 year warranty. ( includes first 2). The navigation system alone costs $1800 to replace

I told a tech I got the warranty because a nav system would cost me $1300 or more. He told me “Tom. Everything on an Indian costs $1300”.

It was tongue in cheek but you get the point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Indian Protection (Extended Warranty is a service contract) Here is the fine print. Indian Motorcycle Protection Service Plan - Terms and Conditions

It is really up to you to decide if you think it is worth it. Some have used it and some haven't. many like the piece of mind for large repairs, and some figure they won't need it. You will pretty much get answers ranging from Yes and NO.
I just got a new 19 roadmaster. I put on10,000 miles a year on my motorcycles
My 2016 had 24000 trouble free miles. The reason I replaced it was not because I was ready to get rid of it. A different post for another day.

Why did I get a 6year warranty? I am keeping this for at least that long and going to retire and this cuts my expenses if something goes wrong. I spent $1378 for 6 year warranty. ( includes first 2). The navigation system alone costs $1800 to replace

I told a tech I got the warranty because a nav system would cost me $1300 or more. He told me “Tom. Everything on an Indian costs $1300”.

It was tongue in cheek but you get the point.
Nice response!

Perhaps I am being obtuse in reading the Indian information as I find the terms confusing. The FAQs on the Protectmyindianmotorcycle.com web site says:

"Q2: When does coverage on my contract begin?
Coverage under this service agreement begins on the in-service date (original purchase date) of your vehicle. The expiration date is determined by adding the number of months of the term selected to the vehicle's in-service date.

For example:
In Service Date of Vehicle: 1/1/2019
Purchase Date of Service Contract: 5/1/2019. Agreement Term: 60 Months. Effective Date of Contract: 1/1/2019. Expiration Date of Contract: 1/1/2024."

My initial interpretation is; I purchased by RM 8/20/17 with a 2-year warranty so my factory warrant expires 8/20/19. So, if I purchase a 12 month Protection Plan it would have expired 8/20/18? What am Imissing here?

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 2016 was used when I bought it in 2017 it still had a year of factory left. I was given the opportunity. From the dealer I bought it to get an extended warranty. I opted to add 2years to the remaining year in the factory warranty. When it was written it was written as 2plus 2 (2 factory plus 2 extended) even though the first year was gone and I didn’t even own it for that period!

Basically. They can write it however they want to. As long as I agree on the price and when the warranty runs out.

Understand? Was that clear?

Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2016 was used when I bought it in 2017 it still had a year of factory left. I was given the opportunity. From the dealer I bought it to get an extended warranty. I opted to add 2years to the remaining year in the factory warranty. When it was written it was written as 2plus 2 (2 factory plus 2 extended) even though the first year was gone and I didn’t even own it for that period!

Basically. They can write it however they want to. As long as I agree on the price and when the warranty runs out.

Understand? Was that clear?

Tom
Tom,
Love your reply, Thank you very much. Have you had to exercise the extended warranty?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had 24000 miles on the 16. Had belt adjustment. !fob battery replaced , fixed a broken ground on the battery myself. Nothing rose to extended warranty.

Still. 4 years added to the warranty for $300/ year is short money to sleep well for a $30k bike. $1300? I spent more on beer and strippers during my wasted youth (haha)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hence you can see how the responses will be. The bottom line is you buy it based on your on feel for how the bet will turn out. In two years, my standard warranty has covered $3000 in repairs. Is the bike taken care of now. I don’t know. I have no idea and neither does anyone else. My guess is there are at least another couple thousand dollars of repairs waiting for me in the next five years. Do I pull the trigger? I don’t know.

Reactions: SavannahMark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hence you can see how the responses will be. The bottom line is you buy it based on your on feel for how the bet will turn out. In two years, my standard warranty has covered $3000 in repairs. Is the bike taken care of now. I don’t know. I have no idea and neither does anyone else. My guess is there are at least another couple thousand dollars of repairs waiting for me in the next five years. Do I pull the trigger? I don’t know.
Thank you all!
Im gonna buy the extended warranty!

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
So did I, after going around and around the few weeks before my original warranty ran out. A big part of the warranty is peace of mind. That IS worth something, right, even even if you go through the entire period and never use it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your input! Perhaps I was trying to financially ratiocinate my way through what, as several of you have pointed out, is an emotional decision. This forum is an excellent way of bouncing things off fellow riders. Again than you all.

·
Bronze member
3,038 Posts
I'm buying it... but I haven't yet... I was flip-flopping about a engine build but I like it stock so no problems.. and like was pointed out the ride command costs a lot to fix... and with modern technology one usually doesn't have to worry about the hard parts... it's usually the electrical that will drive a person nuts.. and if I read the terms and conditions right... if you have an electrical gremlin and it takes the tech 4 hours to find @ 110 per hour they pick it up...

·
Registered
14 Posts
***IN GENERAL*** Insurance is not there to save your ass, it's there to make someone else money. Always remember that. Sure, it can help you if you get in a bind, but saving the money FOR the insurance is ***NORMALLY*** a better monetary investment. But as they say, your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts