Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Can someone tell me why I should by this Indian Protection plan?
Sure. Simple A or B answer should give you direction.

A) If you have a lot of money, don't buy it and pay for possible repairs yourself.

B) If you don't have a lot of money and can't afford to pay for possible repairs, you might consider the protection.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
NO...I wouldn't. If a major failure happens, most likely it will happen under the factory plan.
Did you see....MOST LIKELY?

And I do know, on occasion, there will be a time or two that something will fail after the factory plan. But over all, extended warranties are not worth the investment. And they are expensive to purchase.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
You have two years from time of original purchase of a NEW bike to get the extended warranty - meaning NOT a used bike.

If, after a year or so, you seem to be having issues, then get the extended warranty. If you are comfortable w/o it, then pass on it.

Me? I bought mine one month before expiration of my 2 year warranty just becasue I didn't want the hassle of paying for repairs, if needed. Thankfully (knock on wood) I have not had any issues.
Know, however, that the naming of the extended warranty is a little misleading. A "5-Year Extended Warranty" is really only 3 years beyond the original first two, (thus 5 years).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your feedback, my feelings exactly, It's always risk, pay me now or pay me later. $700.00 seems a lot to add 1 additional year. clearly less than a new engine. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you for your feedback, my feelings exactly, It's always risk, pay me now or pay me later. $700.00 seems a lot to add 1 additional year. clearly less than a new engine. I appreciate the feedback.
For $700 you should be getting three years of coverage. That price is always negotiable. I have purchased warranties on some bikes and passed on it with others. This is one brand I would purchase an additional three years for the right price. It is a crap shoot but there seems to be plenty enough electrical and corrosion issues that if it were me, I would be in the market for additional coverage.

·
Registered
362 Posts
They wanted 1400.00 for the extended warranty at my dealership (1200.00 at time of bike purchase).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Like any insurance you're gambling on whether you are going to have issues or not. I'd rather be safe than sorry in case something happens so always purchase it.

The two main reasons are 1) I put on 25-30,000km a year in a 6ish month season so don't want to be without a ride if I can't afford repairs; and 2) I plan on keeping this bike for a good, 10, years. I've seen good HD dealers rebuild motors in the last year of warranty because my buddy had 180,000km on. No issues but the dealer said with the miles you put on we'll find something so why not.

With the electronics and complexity of bikes it has always ended up saving me money. Stators, compensators, tranny bearings, wheel bearings, starters, even towing and hotel bills have been covered for me.

Stephen

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say it's a complete waste of money. My 2014 came with a 5 year extended warranty, I've had to use it once so far and it was a nightmare.
To make a long story short A sensor went out on the clutch and Indian blamed the sensor going bad on my LED Trucklite headlight. I had to file a lawsuit against Indian to get them to fix the bike.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
in my 40 yrs of riding. buying ext warranty on a bike has always paid for itself. on a car never again.
one of my bikes i bought tire warranty, 1200 bucks. buy time i traded bike in i had 12 tires on back an 6 on front.
another bike i had. modules were breaking in 3x a yr. starter went. stater went. an few other things. i know its a gamble but better to have an when time comes to have not. main reason you never know when your wallet says not at this time. but hey i got a warranty for that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
$1600 for 7 years

·
Registered
49 Posts
My husbands Chief Vintage will be 2 years old this November and we purchased the extended warranty. His fuel gauge has a ton of moisture in the glass and the dealer wants $240.00 to replace it. Better ask SPECIFIC questions before purchasing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts