Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Springfield with the extended reach Rogue seat and would like a backrest. I did a couple quick searches on this forum and didn't turn up anything. Does anyone know if installing a backrest with an extended reach seat is possible? The backrest mount provided by Indian only claims that the backrest doesn't work with the Roadmaster's extended reach and doesn't mention the seat that I have. Every other backrest mount that I have found merely claims that it fits the stock seat so, no dice there I'm assuming.

Has anyone added this accessory to their motorcycle with an extended reach or aftermarket seat and found success? Longer rides hurt my back a little more these days than they used to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same issue, but I have the Indian Extended Reach Heated seat. I am Still searching because I thought I saw a post about using some shims/washers and having it fit. I have not looked at 3rd party backrests yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same issue, but I have the Indian Extended Reach Heated seat. I am Still searching because I thought I saw a post about using some shims/washers and having it fit. I have not looked at 3rd party backrests yet.
Well, if you happen to find this post, can you post a link?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the extended rogue on my 2017. If your planning on keeping the backrest on, it works great. Have to work the seat onto the mount, wasnt hard at all. The problem I'm finding is you have to lift the seat again to fit the actual backrest into the slot. Definitely will work it's just not a quick process to remove/install.

·
Rider
724 Posts
I have a 2018 Springfield with the extended reach Rogue seat and would like a backrest. I did a couple quick searches on this forum and didn't turn up anything. Does anyone know if installing a backrest with an extended reach seat is possible? The backrest mount provided by Indian only claims that the backrest doesn't work with the Roadmaster's extended reach and doesn't mention the seat that I have. Every other backrest mount that I have found merely claims that it fits the stock seat so, no dice there I'm assuming.

Has anyone added this accessory to their motorcycle with an extended reach or aftermarket seat and found success? Longer rides hurt my back a little more these days than they used to.
Allegedly, you can use the stock Drivers backrest with the extended reach seat IF you put 1/4" (if I recall correctly) spacers under the FRONT two mounting points of the bracket for the backrest. This tilts it backwards at an angle that will allow the seat post to slide in. I recall reading that in this forum about a year ago.and the explanation makes sense.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allegedly, you can use the stock Drivers backrest with the extended reach seat IF you put 1/4" (if I recall correctly) spacers under the FRONT two mounting points of the bracket for the backrest. This tilts it backwards at an angle that will allow the seat post to slide in. I recall reading that in this forum about a year ago.and the explanation makes sense.
1/4" spacers? That is quite a hardware change! I imagine there is some modification that has to be done to the mount itself. Elongated holes or some bending? Any idea as to the extent these possible mods had to be done?

·
Rider
724 Posts
1/4" spacers? That is quite a hardware change! I imagine there is some modification that has to be done to the mount itself. Elongated holes or some bending? Any idea as to the extent these possible mods had to be done?
According to the forum, just the spacers. Now, I have NOT tried it myself. But allegedly it works. You can do a search and probably find the post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I purchased the extended reach rogue seat for my ‘18 Chieftain Limited, my dealer said I wouldn’t be able to put a driver’s backrest on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the extended reach Rogue seat and I am able to use my stock 2015 backrest..... Just slid it in the slot....can post pictures if I need to...
Or maybe I'm confused about the fitment being discussed

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the extended reach Rogue seat and I am able to use my stock 2015 backrest..... Just slid it in the slot....can post pictures if I need to...
Or maybe I'm confused about the fitment being discussed
If you can show how you fit your backrest with the extended reach Rogue seat then please do! I want to take a trip to Michigan sometime this summer and a backrest would be fantastic. Does it push you forward at all?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope these help if not let me know....I'm basically using a 2015 Chieftain backrest on the extended reach Rogue seat. The backrest slides through where the grab strap would come through(I dont use the strap) When I take longer rides its great!
How? That hole for the backrest/strap is further back than on the standard Rogue seat. You just bolted everything up and inserted the backrest?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hope these help if not let me know....I'm basically using a 2015 Chieftain backrest on the extended reach Rogue seat. The backrest slides through where the grab strap would come through(I dont use the strap) When I take longer rides its great!
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the info, but if everything just bolts down and comes together then why is Indian saying this wouldn't work? I feel a bit cheated, is all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How? That hole for the backrest/strap is further back than on the standard Rogue seat. You just bolted everything up and inserted the backrest?
That's it ... my bike is a 2015 Chieftain. It came with the studded seat and backrest...I also understood it would not work but after getting the seat, I thought I'll try it. And well it worked fine no issues

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I can get a mount and a backrest after-all. It does look like the backrest sits a little farther forward of the backstop of the seat but, Indian still kinda lied about it fitting...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts