Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you do?

• I am independently wealthy. I don't care what it cost, send it ti me NOW!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my Solo grab rail on yesterday, I noticed 2 side cover grommets in need of replacement.
Went to my go to site Cheapcycleparts.com. Need 6 (3 each side) so put 12 in my cart @ $1.99 each. I only need 2, but fiqured I'd replace all and have 6 spares.
I knew from previous purchases that in order to get free shipping on Cheap, you have to spend $99 or more. Of course no matter the total on Indian direct YOU WILL BE CHARGED shipping.
So, one would think Cheapcycleparts.com would be the cheapest.
Here's the breakdown.

Cheap:
12 @ $1.99 each $23.88
Shipping to 63304 $9.95
Total $33.88

Indian direct:
12 @ $1.59 each $19.08
Shipping to 63304 $6.99
Total $28.07

Savings Indian Direct over Cheap?
$5.81 or 3 & 6/10ths more grommets.

Had a similar experience years ago.

Sam's club and Walmart in same Strip Mall. Needed a new Microwave. Went to Sam's first thinking they'd be cheaper. $169.98 plus tax for a particular GE Model.
Walked over to the Walmart without buying from Sam's just out of curiosity. $129.98 plus tax.

Of course one would think Sam's would be cheaper and they often are, especially on bulk item's.

I have bought MANY items from Cheap and Indian direct. 9 times out of 10, especially over $99 (free shipping), Cheap is the better deal.

Moral of THIS story. Take nothing for granted and shop around.
Darren also B.K.A. (Be Known As) 17NDNSTL

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
Same with Amazon
A morning show tested this. They had several people pick an item and watch it for a week or two
All items went up and down in price based on the day of week and demand of the product that particular day

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
You gotta have all the details. I almost always go in a different direction from Indian. More then their majority of parts makes Harley look like a bargain and that’s not easy to do. I’m finding out unless it’s stamped indian !

·
Silver member
3,845 Posts
I've gotten good deals on stuff right here in the "parts for sale" forum. Picked up OEM rear floor boards with mounts for about 1/2 price and they looked like new. Same deal on my new to me solo seat rail. I always shop around. Semi retired, not wealthy, and us semi broke type geezers need to watch our pennies (o:

·
Rider
823 Posts
I always shop around. But I always buy American made aftermarket. Yeah, I might pay more for what I get, but I don’t buy cheap Chinese knock off junk. I also stay away from the ridiculous prices for Indian parts. I’m retired and not a millionaire, but I can find American made aftermarket parts cheaper than Indian branded parts. I prefer to support the USA business rather than Chinese. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ordered 2 loveseats on Walmart website. Watched them for a week before ordering, they went from 189.00 to 139.00. waited a little longer, dropped to 119.00 each. Ordered them. 2 hours after the order they dropped to 79.00 each. They were delivered. I called Walmart and told them my story. they refunded the difference to make the balance of 79.00 each....
Love Walmart...........

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Even larger-quantity bulk items in stores are often more expensive, per quantity/size, than the smaller sizes. Cereal X at 20 oz. might be $3.99 whereas the 30-oz. size might well be $6.49 -- just as an example. I'm amazed at how many times I've seen this happen. They're watching us, too...

Caveat emptor.

·
Bronze member
2,663 Posts
Ordered 2 loveseats on Walmart website. Watched them for a week before ordering, they went from 189.00 to 139.00. waited a little longer, dropped to 119.00 each. Ordered them. 2 hours after the order they dropped to 79.00 each. They were delivered. I called Walmart and told them my story. they refunded the difference to make the balance of 79.00 each....
Love Walmart...........
Question: How do ya make love on a motorcycle??? I tried that a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago and the bike fell over on top of us!!:eek::rolleyes::( And believe it or not,that actually happened!! MOST EMBARRASSING!!!:oops:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good thread guys!! Yes it pays to shop around. I even use ebay but very cautious about those purchases. Sorry Indian Direct you should be giving us a discount for buying your bikes!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Question: How do ya make love on a motorcycle??? I tried that a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago and the bike fell over on top of us!!:eek::rolleyes::( And believe it or not,that actually happened!! MOST EMBARRASSING!!!:oops:
They were LOVE seats not sex seats. Lol

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Between my passenger floor boards and rear crashbars I saved $390 by not buying from my dealer. Same stuff but bought it on line.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I always shop around. But I always buy American made aftermarket. Yeah, I might pay more for what I get, but I don’t buy cheap Chinese knock off junk. I also stay away from the ridiculous prices for Indian parts. I’m retired and not a millionaire, but I can find American made aftermarket parts cheaper than Indian branded parts. I prefer to support the USA business rather than Chinese. Just my 2 cents.
I have a genuine Indian neck warmer given to me by my dealer when buying my Scout,on the label it has Made In China

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I have a genuine Indian neck warmer given to me by my dealer when buying my Scout,on the label it has Made In China
Most of the Indian clothing is made in Vietnam ,China or Indian .All my leather Jackets and vest were made in Vietnam and are good quality. I would not be surprised how much of the accessories are made in Asia as with a lot of Kuryakyn is made in China. As long as the quality is there who cares ,they need to maximise their profits and still be able to sell to the end user as a reasonable price along with surviving as a company.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts