Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
There is no way I would ever open an Indian Dealership in PA or anywhere else actually. Not enough sales volume, not enough support from Polaris. Certainly couldn't be only an Indian dealer. Indian sales worldwide for 2020 were only 32,000. Harley Sales worldwide for 2020 were 130,000. Contrast that with Honda, who sold 19.3 milliion motorcycles in 2020 worldwide. Even Triumph did better than Indian with 56,000 in 2020. No way I would ever own an Indian dealership. If you showed these number to anyone with any business sense, they would never open an Indian Dealership.

Hell there are only 180 Indian Dealerships in the USA while there are over 700 Harley Dealers in the USA.

Rob

·
Registered
158 Posts
If everything is wrong with Indian, why are you here? If your sales numbers are correct, 32,000 bikes for a brand that's only been revived 7 years ago is actually pretty good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Just needed to rant for a moment.
Rob
Are you aware of the new dealership in Wilmington?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe everyone here believes that the bike itself is awesome. Would not pay tens of thousands of dollars for junk. The issue is how many dealers services treat the people who spend the money after the sale that is the issue. Again it was the same with Victory.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I believe everyone here believes that the bike itself is awesome. Would not pay tens of thousands of dollars for junk. The issue is how many dealers services treat the people who spend the money after the sale that is the issue. Again it was the same with Victory.
This is exactly it. And this is something that Indian can fix! The frequent comparison is to Harley, given how new Indian is in the current incarnation, I wouldn't expect Harley numbers, but they could get there if Indian invested a bit more in supporting the dealers and 3rd party shops. If they put stricter policies on the dealers to create a more uniform dealer experience. Let's face it, a lot of dealers are part of huge networks (Ride Now owns 1 here, and Freedom Powersports owns a couple more). Ride Now also owns the Harley dealer next to me, and the experiences between the 2 are night and day. A lot of that is because of the policies and ecosystem that Harley corporate created. Polaris turns more profit than Harley does these days, investing just a bit back into building the brand would have longer term impact that benefits both Polaris and the Indian Dealers, with a huge return on that investment for the riders.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Are you aware of the new dealership in Wilmington?
Wow I wasn't aware there is a dealer in Delaware. It must have just opened. I just wish it was near Wilmington. But being open 7 days a week with service open 6 days is nice. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow I wasn't aware there is a dealer in Delaware. It must have just opened. I just wish it was near Wilmington. But being open 7 days a week with service open 6 days is nice. Thanks for the tip
I was in there a few weeks ago. Seemed like genuinely nice folks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
R993 - I am here because I own an Indian. I bought it used (actually it was totaled in an accident) and fixed it up and love riding it. Only after, have I learned how bad the dealers and dealer network are, and how little Polaris seems to care. And unfortunately no, 30K bikes for a company that started selling bikes 7 years ago is not good. In fact they haven't had any real increase in sales in the last 5 years according to their own sales numbers. They have been hovering around the 30K bike mark for at least 5 years that I can get numbers for. That is not good as any business person will tell you. So now it becomes a chicken and the egg scenario. If they open more dealerships, will they sell more bikes, or do they need to find a way to sell more bikes so they can open more dealerships? For sure Polaris is not helping the Indian brand, at least it seems that way to me, and their Dealers not helping matters at all. From reading all the forums and my own experiences, it would appear as though there are more bad dealers than good for Indian. That is not going to help matters. I really wanted a new FTR1200. Based on my recent dealership experiences, there is no way my money will go towards helping a company that is not helping their customers. I may or may not keep the Indian Chief that I have, but I definitely have turned off from buying another one.

Don't get my wrong, I love my Chief, but I cannot support a company that does not support us. I have a Honda Goldwing also, and I have ridden it all across the US and Canada, and I have never been this poorly treated by a Honda Dealer. Anytime I have needed service on one of my trips, they have always been more than accommodating. Even though I was an out of towner and probably never coming back. I have been on trips that were so long, that I have needed oil changes, and tires replaced, etc., and they were always willing to get me in and out and back on the road again asap. In my experience, and that of others, Indian dealers would not be so accommodating. That's sad, and I have a feeling that Indian will end up going the way of Victory. Polaris needs to commit to the brand and do something to turn things around if they want to be in the motorcycle business for the long haul.

Just my thoughts.

Rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am totally satisfied with Mall of Georgia Indian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stop taking your bike to dealers.
Small shops around need work,and will do a better job.
Unless you don't like talking to people and need to pay 1000 bucks for tires.
Go to any biker bar and ask where to take your bike.
Indian isn't some magical bike only dealers can change the oil.
Had a guy tell me that the dealer checks over the bike when he takes his in,it's worth the 250 for an oil change.
No they don't.
They didn't even know my bike had a check engine light after they put a new master cylinder under warranty.
I had to point it out when I picked it up.
02 sensor was out.
Absolutely, my Indy shop was my guy when I had Harleys and is still my guy with my Indians. I bought my Chieftain with 20K miles on it two years ago and since I work a lot, he has done all my oil changes, services my my cables, brakes, and 5K miles ago did the 50K mile service complete. The only think he doesnt have is a Dyno but I have a remote guy for that. He did my cams and all. It goes back to trust and I trust my bike with his skill, I dont trust most of these dealers because my bike is a number but with my Indy when it enters his shop, he treats it like it is his personal bike.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Absolutely, my Indy shop was my guy when I had Harleys and is still my guy with my Indians. I bought my Chieftain with 20K miles on it two years ago and since I work a lot, he has done all my oil changes, services my my cables, brakes, and 5K miles ago did the 50K mile service complete. The only think he doesnt have is a Dyno but I have a remote guy for that. He did my cams and all. It goes back to trust and I trust my bike with his skill, I dont trust most of these dealers because my bike is a number but with my Indy when it enters his shop, he treats it like it is his personal bike.
I would love this option. It seems most of the Indy shops around here don't work on Indian.

·
Registered
Dark Horse
272 Posts
I'm an hour from two dealers, haven't been to Knoxville but I really like Chattanooga and it's where I've bought two bikes.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
771 Posts
R993 - I am here because I own an Indian. I bought it used (actually it was totaled in an accident) and fixed it up and love riding it. Only after, have I learned how bad the dealers and dealer network are, and how little Polaris seems to care. And unfortunately no, 30K bikes for a company that started selling bikes 7 years ago is not good. In fact they haven't had any real increase in sales in the last 5 years according to their own sales numbers. They have been hovering around the 30K bike mark for at least 5 years that I can get numbers for. That is not good as any business person will tell you. So now it becomes a chicken and the egg scenario. If they open more dealerships, will they sell more bikes, or do they need to find a way to sell more bikes so they can open more dealerships? For sure Polaris is not helping the Indian brand, at least it seems that way to me, and their Dealers not helping matters at all. From reading all the forums and my own experiences, it would appear as though there are more bad dealers than good for Indian. That is not going to help matters. I really wanted a new FTR1200. Based on my recent dealership experiences, there is no way my money will go towards helping a company that is not helping their customers. I may or may not keep the Indian Chief that I have, but I definitely have turned off from buying another one.

Don't get my wrong, I love my Chief, but I cannot support a company that does not support us. I have a Honda Goldwing also, and I have ridden it all across the US and Canada, and I have never been this poorly treated by a Honda Dealer. Anytime I have needed service on one of my trips, they have always been more than accommodating. Even though I was an out of towner and probably never coming back. I have been on trips that were so long, that I have needed oil changes, and tires replaced, etc., and they were always willing to get me in and out and back on the road again asap. In my experience, and that of others, Indian dealers would not be so accommodating. That's sad, and I have a feeling that Indian will end up going the way of Victory. Polaris needs to commit to the brand and do something to turn things around if they want to be in the motorcycle business for the long haul.

Just my thoughts.

Rob
after obamas bum economy, the scamdemic “With a feeble economy that started to get better in 2017 until China released a virus on the world” , and general lack of interest in youth when it comes to riding. yes, 30k is pretty good. especially when a brand is taking on the monopoly that is HD.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm VERY fortunate to have an EXCELLENT dealership with an outstanding tech in Northern VA.
Which dealership is that? I plan to ride the bike to N.Va. at some point this year to see family and having a dealer if I need one would be great.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Not that you care, but I view that as a political opinion, followed by propoganda.
Your correct! It could have been stated better by saying that “With a feeble economy that started to get better in 2017 until China released a virus on the world, 30 thousand ain’t bad”. There I think that’s much better. No politics just facts. I hope that helps!

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
771 Posts
Not that you care, but I view that as a political opinion, followed by propoganda.
i edited it so you don't have go find a safe space.
cheers @AB2057 - hope you don't mind i used your quote :)

Reactions: AB2057
81 - 100 of 118 Posts