Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Live in north eastern PA and I travel two hours to a dealer in Elizabethtown, PA .
I have purchased two bikes there and the service has been outstanding. Dealer name is Hernleys. The owner and his wife are very hands-on and very responsive.
I come up from MD to go here and I'm 20 minutes from the dealer in Annapolis! I love Henleys they treat you with respect

·
Registered
145 Posts
It s not just multi dealerships. Daytona florida strictly indian dealership is also swamped .they messed up my valve stem replacing tps sensor and I ride so much I have spare tires and rims. Called and said I need to bring the tire tire and rim in and the service department said they were booked solid for a month. I said you messed it up you fix it !! Fit it in. This is also the reason I keep thing about dropping indian. I am on my 3rd roadmaster and currently have a indian bobber customized and roadmaster elite. I have thousands of dollars of clothing between me and my wife. I love my parts guys and sales but I have said it before to the store manager and Polaris something needs to been done about the service department. I don't care if your booked or not you don't make your customer feel like you can't help them. Make me a f××king schedule and don't tell me you don't know when you can get me in!!! That's bad service!!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live within a few minutes of Twiggs. Unfortunately for me, I’ve never been able to make a deal with them out of 3 Indian motorcycles. When I bought my scout, I had called ahead to let them know I was on my way and going to the bank to get the cash and they told me someone had just walked in to buy the bike after talking to me for days about it. Unfortunate, but I didn’t put a deposit down so just unlucky. I ended up purchasing from Bestline / Indian State College.

When I bought my Chief, Twiggs couldn’t come to a number I liked on my Scout. I was interested in a Springfield DH and we couldn’t come close on the numbers. I was bummed, but then Indian Bristol trailered a stage 2 Chief DH with apes and some other things I wanted. I couldn’t believe it! I just had to pay for some gas.

Now I’m going to be picking up my 21 Challenger either the end of this week or next from Bestline Indian State College. I bypassed Twiggs completely because of the last two times I’ve tried to get a good deal there and went straight back to Bestline. It’s worth the 4 hours round trip for me.

Based on your location I imagine you may have tried one of the Bestlines. I could try and talk to someone at State College as I pick my bike up about trying to get in touch with you if you want. Good luck man!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Just needed to rant for a moment.
Rob
Wow sorry to hear that brother, I deal with Indian dealers in Fl. and Tn never had problems with any of them. I would call Polaris Corp and let them know what’s going on. Good luck brother

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been to Stu’s and the service was great when I was there, but when I left they did the same thing as “Mach1970” said and wouldn’t return 8 different calls and several other texts for my girlfriend who was about to purchase a new Scout. Due to Indians lack of sales service, she ended up buying a Harley that wasn’t even as good of a ride for her. Kind of sad to me because I’m not getting rid of my Indian anytime soon!
I'm lucky to live in S/W Florida and have an excellent Indian dealer nearby. I have purchased and serviced two Indian motorcycles from Stu's Motorcycles in Ft.Myers, FL. It's a shame that you are not getting the quality service you require. I would personally contact the owners of the businesses you mention and express my disappointment. I would also contact Polaris. I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep your Indian!

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
I have owned 9 Victory’s, 4 Indians and 4 Harleys. I will never step foot in my local Indian dealer again because if their sales manager and the way he was allowed to treat me. It’s a long story and I won’t name the dealer but if this guy worked at my company he wouldn’t. On the other hand Bergdale Harley in my hometown is a bunch of great guys and have earned my future business. I have bought my last Polaris motorcycle 🤬

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Rob
Have you tried Rollin Fast Cycle Sports in Lebanon, NJ? That's where I bought my 2018 RM and have all my service work done there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my first Indian from Cosmos they seemed very friendly. I haven't been there for service as is 2.5 hr ride on a good day. I've been getting it and service from Chesapeake Cycle in Annapolis MD. Its about 1 hour from me. Second bike came from them. But I do wish there was someone lower Delaware.
I live in Southern Maryland 1.5 hrs from Annapolis.
I deal with Chesapeake cycles for about 2 years. Good guys

·
Registered
24 Posts

Rob
+1 on Cosmos north of Philadelphia. If you haven't called them, please try.

I was going to buy my 19 RM from Cosmo's, but ended up getting a phenomenal deal in St. Louis (Metroeast Motorsports). I've brought my bike into Cosmo's a couple of times, and they've always treated me very well, despite my not buying the bike from them. I haven't called for service in a few months, so I'm not sure how busy they are right now, but Tom and Cari (owners) and Bill (service manager) have always seemed very responsive.

While we're promoting dealerships that treat people right (and I count Metroeast among them), Smokey Mountain Steel Horses / Indian in Waynesville NC is also a fantastic shop and a pleasure to work with. Keep the faith, brother. There are still some reputable businesses out there.

For those keeping score, Cosmo's and Smokey Mountain are full-on Indian dealerships. Metroeast Motorsports sells a bunch of brands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Harley dealers I know sell 100+ bikes each month The local one to me sold 243 this past February. Our Indian dealer was around that in 2020 for the year. Harley dealers also enjoy a brisk business in clothing and accessories. Harley just thinned the herd of low volume dealers.
Most Indian dealers need products to augment their businesses. Most cannot survive on Indian sales alone. The customer base isn’t large enough and the supply chain isn’t geared for speculative sales (my observations). The issue I see is taking an ATV & snowmobile dealer and getting them to focus on motorcycles like a Harley dealer does and has to. I take long touring trips every year. Last year I prayed I would not have problems as it was hundreds of miles between dealers. Even if I found one the likelihood they would have the parts and time......
It is a real concern.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Rob
Maybe Indian should send their people to some P R group to reach them how to treat their customers, Maybe Harley-Davidson could help them. Never had a bad experience with them when Iam on my Ultra Glide.

·
Registered
216 Posts
While we're promoting dealerships that treat people right (and I count Metroeast among them), Smokey Mountain Steel Horses / Indian in Waynesville NC is also a fantastic shop and a pleasure to work with. Keep the faith, brother. There are still some reputable businesses out there.

For those keeping score, Cosmo's and Smokey Mountain are full-on Indian dealerships. Metroeast Motorsports sells a bunch of brands.

About 10 or so years ago, My 2000 Ultra Classic would not start while in Highlands NC. My 3 buddies and I were on Harleys and another on a Honda. We went to what we thought was Smokey Mountain Harley as I limped in at high revs on a Friday afternoon about 3:30. The owner had died and the wife and son was not interested in keeping the franchise so it was changed into an independent shop that had a few bikes and service department but the same staff that worked the Harley dealer. The son raced Harleys and had one in the showroom. The parts/service girl was on the phone looking for me a stator while the wrench started tearing into the hours long job--7 by the book but we all knew that was generous. The parts/service manager girl turned us onto a local motel---called and made reservations for us while we waited and set us up for the night. We ended up leaving around 7 pm with a free (?) coffee mug from the Smokey Mountain Harley Dealership logo.

When back at the motel, my buddy that rode a Dyna Wide Glide looked over at the guy on the Honda and said if he rode up to a Dealer at almost closing time, would they do that for him or tell him to come back on Monday? I started to say "The Honda never breaks down" but that is a story for another day.

My point being Harley has created a huge brotherhood of riders and mechanics alike. This has made a strong brand loyalty that Polaris does not seem to think is that important.

My post is not to praise Harley or diss Indian but to stress the relationship between a brand and taking care of their clients when they need it.

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Not good to hear. Guess I'll be in the same boat soon since I just moved to Adams County, PA and don't see any Indian dealers close by. Hopefully I won't be needing one anytime soon!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
This whole thread 100 times over. Indian makes excellent, and competitive bikes. I love mine, and wouldn't trade the Springfield for a Road King if they threw in some cash with it. But I also own a Harley, and the ownership experience is so much better with Harley. Dealers tend to treat you better, they are tied into the whole ecosystem. I can go to the local dealer and they have catalogs with pretty much every aftermarket part made, not just by Harley, but by everyone. I don't know of an Indian dealership around here that would sell me Vance & Hines or Reinhardt pipes, if Indian doesn't make it, they don't sell it. Harley works hard (and spends a ton of money) to build a community around their brand, and it pays off in the ownership experience. Say what you will about HOG, but they are a largely active group, with dealer support everywhere. IMRG, I am not even sure it really exists. Dallas certainly doesn't seem to do anything, and my paying for elite status got me nothing, not even the base crap they promised on the web store. I can get my Harley worked on at any of the dealerships around here, or at literally dozens of small shops all over the country. Most of those shops won't touch Indian, they make it too hard to get parts. Indian should be giving digital wrench to every shop who will take it, and offer some support. Will it take money out of dealer pockets? Yes, in the short term. In the longer term, it builds the brand, and dealers should end up selling more bikes, and keeping their own service bays booked out well in advance.

Sure, Harley sells a lot of T-shirts and such too, but the last time I was in the closest Indian Dealer, they had next to nothing. Indian makes plenty of merchandise, most of which is good quality, but dealers aren't stocking it. They certainly aren't throwing events every weekend to build the community and bring in potential buyers. I get, the Indian Market is smaller, all of this costs money, and they can't do everything that Harley does right now, but it seems a little bit of investment could have a large return. I would expect corporate to even help with some of that cost at the dealerships to bolster the brand. All of this is things that Indian can fix, it will take time, but start working in that direction! Polaris is hugely profitable (their profits are actually larger than Harley's recently), and they could build something so much better with a bit of effort.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We had some issues with our Indian dealer in St. Paul (this was years ago). Not only were most of the staff decidedly unfriendly (I could tell you about the one time I called them), but there were also several "shady" business deals. Fortunately, it was purchased by new owners when the previous dude went into bankruptcy (and even did some time)... but they're still trying to rebuild their reputation after several years as the new owners.

A truly bad dealership won't be around long... my $0.02.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not good to hear. Guess I'll be in the same boat soon since I just moved to Adams County, PA and don't see any Indian dealers close by. Hopefully I won't be needing one anytime soon!
Twigg's is probably closest to you. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. I have had good experiences there.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Rob
I’m in SE Kentucky and although my closest dealer is 90 miles away in Lexington , I feel extremely fortunate for the quality of service they provide. It’s actually quite exceptional from the top down. I actually purchased my bike form the Northern Kentucky dealership which is about 80 miles further and all my dealings with them were also excellent. It’s sucks that you’re having these problems and I wish you luck. Hopefully they’ll improve; doesn’t sound like they can get any worse.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Rob
I don't know how far you live from Hagerstown, Md? But Twiggs Indian is a good dealership, I have been dealing with Twiggs since 1988, Over the years I have bought 2 Yamaha motorcycles 1 Royal Star motorcycle and my latest buy my Indian Chief Vintage motorcycle from them, They always service my bike when I set up an appointment and I have never had any serious problems Mike Twigg or any of his associates. 🐺 Link: Twigg Indian Motorcycle® - New & Used Motorcycle Dealership Featuring Indian®, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki Motorcycles, Apparel, and More in Hagerstown, MD, near Chambersburg, Frederick, Martinsburg, & Winchester

61 - 80 of 118 Posts