Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
I don’t believe you about Hernleys
They have slways went out of their way for the Customer. It could be a little delayed because of winter months and the stupid pandemic limiting their staff there but they always went beyond reasonable doubt to take care of their customers.
I am one of them.
I have had many bikes and went to many Dealers. I have a Dealer which is way closer to me. Intially contacted them about buying my 19 Chieftain Dark Horse with a Victory Hammer trade and heard nothing back from them. There service in the past was good. I wasnt kissing their asses to take my 28 grand! I went to Hernleys which is 2 hrs away

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try Rollin Fast Cycles in Lebanon, NJ. I had tires put on at Montgomeryville Cycle Center. There's a mechanic that use to work at Indian of Allentown dealer. His name is Jason.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Just needed to rant for a moment.
Rob
The problem is many shops treat the Indian as another "metric" bike. It is lumped in with Jap bikes, ATVs, Wave Runners, and such. You are fighting to get in with everything else no matter if it has 2 wheels, 4 wheels or no wheels at all! Most Harley dealers have Harley specific service shops to go with them. There are Indian dealerships that are "hard core" Indian/Victory shops. Those are the best ones to deal with when you can find them. Gregory Polaris is one of those places, there are more but not common. Hopefully with time and more of an Indian presents that will change. Dean

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had similar issues - I dont want them doing any service on my bike, I have a trusted Indy that does that and I will keep going to him for it. However, when I have inquired about things like a 116bbk or other items to possibly have done at a dealer by contacting their service department, what response do I get.....a salesperson glad to help me about my inquiry for a new bike. I am not looking for a new bike, I like the bike I have now. I have gotten a better response, quicker from Charlotte Indian and LLoydz then anywhere near me. If I ever get any BBK work done I will just schedule a vacation otherwise my Indy shop can handle everything else and my remote tuner the rest. We can talk about a product we love and feel is better than what many of us came out of with Harley but when you see Indians in Harley Dealerships getting service, there is an issue. It appears that Indian Dealers put most of the emphasis on sales and then from there "we will figure it out later". That will eventually catch up to them and I hate to see that happen.

·
Bronze member
3,160 Posts
Stop taking your bike to dealers.
Small shops around need work,and will do a better job.
Unless you don't like talking to people and need to pay 1000 bucks for tires.
Go to any biker bar and ask where to take your bike.
Indian isn't some magical bike only dealers can change the oil.
Had a guy tell me that the dealer checks over the bike when he takes his in,it's worth the 250 for an oil change.
No they don't.
They didn't even know my bike had a check engine light after they put a new master cylinder under warranty.
I had to point it out when I picked it up.
02 sensor was out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well Mr.Xtreme....I don't really care if you believe me or not. It happened. They have yet to return a call about service or sales. As a test this week, I had a friend of mine call them to schedule service this past monday...today is friday and still no return call. I have given them multiple chances with no response from them.

Dochardtail....I don't have a choice about going to a dealer. Only a dealer is going to do the recalls. I was just going to have them do the tires while it was there to save me the hassle. Otherwise I would do the tires myself.

And for everyone else...as I have stated before....these are not multi-marquee dealers. So there is no excuse, stop making excuses for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don’t believe you about Hernleys
They have slways went out of their way for the Customer. It could be a little delayed because of winter months and the stupid pandemic limiting their staff there but they always went beyond reasonable doubt to take care of their customers.
I am one of them.
I have had many bikes and went to many Dealers. I have a Dealer which is way closer to me. Intially contacted them about buying my 19 Chieftain Dark
The problem is that most Indian dealerships are multi-brand powersports mega stores. Their service departments are booked solid with ATV, dirt bike/sportbike and watercraft service jobs which is their bread & butter. A few Indians can wait in their point of view. We make up only a small fraction of their sales portfolio and ge relegated to dead last on their list of priorities. It's a shame but very true unfortunately.
Agree. My dealers service dept is overwhelmed. In fact they hiring techs. They work on every brand under the sun. Kinda reminds me of the sayin "Jack of all trades, master of none" .
Indian owners have suffered the most the techs are not familiar with canbus and ride command.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ve never had any problem getting an appointment for service at Hernleys in Elizabethtow, Pa.

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
I dont know about all this but in my whole lifetime up to now we have never had to wait for a callback for service not even once even from the very crappy dealers
Always they came back with a date during the initial call
You might not like the date quoted back but always got one.
This is my personal experience.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Boise Indian here in Idaho is my dealership. I don't mean that I own it, but that I feel as though I'm a part of it. You're welcome there anytime - whether you ride an Indian or not, and they will help you with your Indian - whether you purchased from them or not. Great service and a great staff!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It doesn't help you much, but I purchased and used Woodlands Premium Motorcycles in Houston for my Bobber and have had good experiences, other than the wait time for parts on backorder from Polaris, but that isn't the dealer's fault. In fact, for my 500 mile service, they took me in the same day amd did it while I waited. They sell BMW, Triumph, and Indian bikes bit no ATV/Powersport stuff. Good luck and hope things get better for you...

·
Registered
221 Posts
i live in Hagerstown MD...The home of Twiggs Indian MC...They serve other brands as well...Never had a problem with Service ...Customer Service is top Notch....I bought my Last Indian 18 Chieftain from Indian Dealer in Sterling VA known as Motorcycles of Dulles...Also a Great Dealership with great Customer Service...Both of these dealerships are Family Owned and have been in business for quite sum time...I reccomend both...I do most of the work on my bikes by myself...My other Indian is a 2003 Gilroy Sprit...(Wifeys Bike...)The only time either of them see me is For Recalls and Tire balancing...i dont know how far they are from You...But either of them is a great Bet...

·
5,132 Posts
While I said most Indian dealers are multi brand super stores they aren't all equal. My dealer, Indian of Toledo has been outstanding in terms of service after the sale. He sells the big four Japanese brands and Can Am in his main shop while his Indian show room is in a separate building next door.

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
Sorry for this madness. My dealer is excellent, but often times it is three weeks or so before they can service my bike as they are a long time established MC company and have lots of clients. However, if I am in a pinch they will work me in.

Out of curiousity, which recalls are you needing done?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
According to the VIN search that Polaris provides, my bike needs recalls concerning an ECM Reflash, 2 recalls for fuel rail, and the gear position recall.

Rob

·
Registered
2020 Chieftain Darkhorse
38 Posts
I know Ohio is quite a ways off for you but there are two excellent dealers here. Mine is Indian of Toledo in Maumee and there is Bairs in North Canton. Both are top notch.
2nd vote for Bairs in Canton!! I live within 20 miles of there and have gotten to know a lot of the people there within the last year after buying my bike...I'm probably there too much....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem up in the north. I have a dealer 4 miles from me and they are very good. The dealer I bought my bike from is 1.5 hours away (my local dealer did not have and could not get what I wanted). The dealer I bought the bike from has had my bike for over 8 weeks now, and are dragging their feet on my repair. “We’re really busy right now.” They’ve had the bike since early Feb (not a busy time of the year) and had all the parts for over a month now. Funny but the new bikes are getting out the door, and their famous customers are getting major mods done by them (Ridingfish from Indian Rider Radio uses this dealership) bet they didn’t wait 8 weeks to get their work done. Bison Thunder in St Paul is one of the worst! The service manager has ghosted me so often my nickname for him is Casper. I’ve tried being nice and they mistook my nice for weak. Now the mean is coming out.

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,883 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Just needed to rant for a moment.
Rob
Shitty dealer(s). My go to is Gregory Polaris ... F****ing ROCKSTAR!

·
Registered
60 Posts
After test riding a 2020 Challenger and negotiating hard with the salesgirl (cute, knowledgeable and helpful--what more could you want LOL) most of a morning I wrote the check for the bike on 2/25/21. I had never before been in this place--CC Powersports in Clarksville, IN, just over the bridge and about 8-9 miles from my home in Louisville. And besides Indian bikes they seem to carry lots of trail bikes, ATV's, smaller boats, and a lot of gear, clothing and what nots for all the adult toys.

They had my bike back TWICE the first 10 days I owned it. Electrical gremlin but seems they finally got it figured out and fixed. And I'm still waiting on them to get in the Airbox they need to complete my Stage 1 but seems numerous others around the country are also waiting. Just picked my bike up from them yesterday after 500 mile service, extended reach bars installation and clutch adjustment. (And I was pleasantly surprised that for putting on bars that don't need any cables they charge for 2 hrs. labor--If cables are needed it is 2.7 hrs. labor)

All the folks I have met there have been friendly, knowledgeable and very accommodating and they did a few smaller things that I did not expect to get for free but they didn't charge me. No, they ain't cheap. But to me, paying for services/items doesn't hurt as much when you are dealing with folks who treat you fairly and seem to be appreciative of your business. Yes, I definitely give them a good recommendation.

·
606 Posts
I recommend finding time to visit one of the dealers and meeting with the Service Manager to see if you can get things worked out. Phone calls and email messages sometimes just don't work. Start the conversation in a positive manner and see where it goes. If you don't get the response you need/want, then I'd probably look into selling the Indian and finding a motorcycle dealership closer to home that can sell you a motorcycle and provide long term support. Good luck.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts