Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Just needed to rant for a moment.
Rob

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
I Live in north eastern PA and I travel two hours to a dealer in Elizabethtown, PA .
I have purchased two bikes there and the service has been outstanding. Dealer name is Hernleys. The owner and his wife are very hands-on and very responsive.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I bought my first Indian from Cosmos they seemed very friendly. I haven't been there for service as is 2.5 hr ride on a good day. I've been getting it and service from Chesapeake Cycle in Annapolis MD. Its about 1 hour from me. Second bike came from them. But I do wish there was someone lower Delaware.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm lucky to live in S/W Florida and have an excellent Indian dealer nearby. I have purchased and serviced two Indian motorcycles from Stu's Motorcycles in Ft.Myers, FL. It's a shame that you are not getting the quality service you require. I would personally contact the owners of the businesses you mention and express my disappointment. I would also contact Polaris. I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep your Indian!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe s.....Hernleys is one of the culprits. In fact, I contacted them last year about buying a new FTR1200, they never responded with an out the door quote like I asked. Last spring I tried to get them to do the recalls on my bike and their service department actually told me that they wouldn't be able to get me in for months!!!! They took my name and number and said they would call when they had an opening.....never called. There is no way, they are that busy that all spring, summer and fall, they have no service openings. Terrible way to earn a potential new customer.

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in Eastern PA and there are only 3 dealers near me. The closest is an hour away and the farthest is 1.5 hours away. I have a 2015 Chief that needs several recalls done and I want some new tires put on it for the season. I have called all 3 of them multiple times requesting to set up an appointment for the services I require. Not one of them has ever returned my phone calls. In the course of 3 weeks I have called each one 6 times (twice a week) and left messages. The one dealer actually answered one time when I called and said that they needed the service manager to call me back to setup the appointment and took all my information....never called me back. I have been dealing with motorcycle dealerships for decades and have never been so poorly treated. It seems as though Polaris needs to do something here. They don't have near the dealer network of other brands and if this is how they treat customers, they won't be building Indians for long. I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now, just for this reason. Why help a company that won't help their customers. Add to that the ridiculous price of their parts and accessories and I am starting to understand why I never see another Indian on the road. It's a shame too, I actually really like the bike and I have never been a fan of V-Twin cruisers, but I do enjoy riding this bike very much. But with this total neglect of it's customers, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Rob
I’m in the same situation try calling Twigg cycle in Maryland the ride is 3 hrs they installed my 116 kit great people and they call back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, there is no way I am driving all the way to Ohio to get my bike serviced. Even 3 hours each way to MD is to far. Especially if I have to leave the bike there, then we are talking 12 hours total just to get the recalls done. If it wasn't for the recalls, I would just do the tires myself like I usually do. However, I am seriously considering getting rid of this bike now and not supporting a company that doesn't support it's customers.

As for contacting the owners....if the owners of the dealerships are that out of touch with how their shops are being run, then my telling them won't matter.

Rob

·
Registered
74 Posts

Rob
Wow, I have a similar story with an Indian dealer in Massachusetts. I scheduled a 30,000 mile service, new tires and tubes (which I was willing to pay ~$200 above the best prices I could find to give them the business) and took advantage of the "$500 off $2000" to bring my 2014 Chief Vintage up to Stage 2. I also placed no pressure on the dealer for a rapid turn around, special treatment, priority, etc. Probably dropping over $3500.00 when all is said and done.
Got the most unbelievable call from the service manager Tuesday "All of your parts are in, but had I known you had wanted this much work done I wouldn't have taken this in, we are too busy this time of year."
And once again, this was scheduled with no request to rush, all the parts and accessories purchased at this dealership, and I buy my bikes there! Really left me scratching my head...

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
233 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh in South Western Pennsylvania and deal with Pitt Cycles. I am taking my new Chief in for the 500 mile service April 8. It was a little more difficult than usual to get a service appointment because of the time of year in Pennsylvania. The first day of Spring was Saturday, March 20th and the weather broke and it got nice early. Pitt Cycles service is swamped! Everyone who put their bike away at the end of the season without doing any end of season maintenance wants to ride - Now, Today! But they need a battery, brakes, inspections (bikes are not inspected during the winter months in PA), tires, tune ups, accessory/upgrade installs, my bike won’t start, etc. The service department’s are slammed in the Spring. They are also trying to accommodate people like me who just bought brand new bikes.
My advice - Be patient and persistent. But understand the dealers dilemma - Everyone wants a service appointment at the same time. Try to get your bike ready to ride and in top shape at the end of the fall season. Keep it on a battery tender over the winter. Avoid the Spring service rush....

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
The problem is that most Indian dealerships are multi-brand powersports mega stores. Their service departments are booked solid with ATV, dirt bike/sportbike and watercraft service jobs which is their bread & butter. A few Indians can wait in their point of view. We make up only a small fraction of their sales portfolio and get relegated to dead last on their list of priorities. It's a shame but very true unfortunately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mark.Ib....I understand the time of the year, but for one dealer it has been a whole year and they couldn't get me in. And to not return calls is not acceptable for any reason, especially for as long as I have been trying. And to Reinie's point, these 3 dealers are not multi-brand mega dealers. They are just Indian dealers with Hernley's also being a Polaris dealer selling their ATV's and such. So, there aren't that many Indians on the road, that they are that busy. And it's not just service as I said in my original post, I couldn't even get sales to get me a price so I could purchase a brand new FTR. I'm glad now that I didn't get one.

And one more thing....it is not my job to be persistant with them....they want to run a business. I run my own small business and I would never make customers jump through these kinds of hoops. They are the ones that should be persistant, not me. And I have been persistant anyway and to no avail. I may just skip the recalls, put tires on myself and then see if I can sell this thing. Really puts a bad taste in your mouth regarding Polaris/Indian.

A whole year trying to get service from one dealer.....absolutely no excuse for that. Then BackInBlack's dealer tells him they don't want to do the work???? They wanted the money for the parts and accessories though didn't they! I have never owned a Harley (and never will) but I have a lot of friends that do, and no Harley dealer has treated any of my friends like this. And they are more than happy to install a big bore kit etc.

There are no excuses for this. Not from anyone wanting to stay in business.

Rob

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Mark.Ib....I understand the time of the year, but for one dealer it has been a whole year and they couldn't get me in. And to not return calls is not acceptable for any reason, especially for as long as I have been trying. And to Reinie's point, these 3 dealers are not multi-brand mega dealers. They are just Indian dealers with Hernley's also being a Polaris dealer selling their ATV's and such. So, there aren't that many Indians on the road, that they are that busy. And it's not just service as I said in my original post, I couldn't even get sales to get me a price so I could purchase a brand new FTR. I'm glad now that I didn't get one.

And one more thing....it is not my job to be persistant with them....they want to run a business. I run my own small business and I would never make customers jump through these kinds of hoops. They are the ones that should be persistant, not me. And I have been persistant anyway and to no avail. I may just skip the recalls, put tires on myself and then see if I can sell this thing. Really puts a bad taste in your mouth regarding Polaris/Indian.

A whole year trying to get service from one dealer.....absolutely no excuse for that. Then BackInBlack's dealer tells him they don't want to do the work???? They wanted the money for the parts and accessories though didn't they! I have never owned a Harley (and never will) but I have a lot of friends that do, and no Harley dealer has treated any of my friends like this. And they are more than happy to install a big bore kit etc.

There are no excuses for this. Not from anyone wanting to stay in business.

Rob

Polaris only knows about bad dealers if you let Polaris know directly. Most customers never do anything about bad service and that's why it continues. Contact Polaris and tell them about how no dealer will do your recalls and that will raise attention since recalls are potential liability issues.

Another issue a lot of dealers especially small ones face, is quality mechanics. Many leave and go independent.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
If the dealership is multi brand, then I suspect they only have 1 or 2 Indian mechanics on staff.
Most businesses have had a tough time surviving over this past winter.
If you need tires I would probably buy them as I have heard up here that there's going to be a shortage this year.
Why not go to the closest dealership and talk with them nicely. Kindness goes a long way.
We all like to be treated well don't we?

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on Twigg.
I had my Scout 5000 mile service at Twigg (1/2 hour for me) in November, bought it at Chesapeake (1 hour). Just did the 10000 mile service myself, because the first appointment I could get at either place was ~ 4 weeks out. I think I scheduled the 5000 mile service sometime in October. Harder to estimate miles ridden in Jan-Mar.

·
Bronze member
2,020 Posts
The problem is that most Indian dealerships are multi-brand powersports mega stores. Their service departments are booked solid with ATV, dirt bike/sportbike and watercraft service jobs which is their bread & butter. A few Indians can wait in their point of view. We make up only a small fraction of their sales portfolio and get relegated to dead last on their list of priorities. It's a shame but very true unfortunately.
I would never again purchase from a multi-brand powersports store. I did it once with one of my Yamahas and learned from the experience.

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
Joe s.....Hernleys is one of the culprits. In fact, I contacted them last year about buying a new FTR1200, they never responded with an out the door quote like I asked. Last spring I tried to get them to do the recalls on my bike and their service department actually told me that they wouldn't be able to get me in for months!!!! They took my name and number and said they would call when they had an opening.....never called. There is no way, they are that busy that all spring, summer and fall, they have no service openings. Terrible way to earn a potential new customer.

Rob

Wow, that’s a surprise to me. I’ve never experienced that there, nonetheless things happen. I hope you find a good one soon!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts