Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Vintage without a windshield. A friend has the original windshield off of his Vintage. I'm confused about exactly what mounting hardware I need to get so that I can use the pre-owned windshield. Can anyone help me with part numbers and sources? Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your bike is a vintage then it originally came with a windshield from the factory, so there’s nothing on the bike you should need to add. If your friends windshield has the hardware attached to it(the metal brackets that bolt to the actual windshield) then you should be able to put it straight on your bike. If your friends giving you just the plastic(lexan) part of the windshield and nothing attached to it(like if he bought a different windshield and swapped the hardware) then you’ll need to get the mounting hardware that bolts to the windshield.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope! Came from the factory without windshield! The quick release windshield attached to hardware on the bike. My friend kept his mounting hardware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nope! Came from the factory without windshield! The quick release windshield attached to hardware on the bike. My friend kept his mounting hardware.
If it’s a Vintage then the windshield shoulda been on from factory, that’s how it’s spose to come, with leather saddlebags and windshield. If it’s just a chief classic then no bags or windshield unless added, in which case you would have to add the spools that the windshield mounts to beside the headlight. Those mounts are part of the additional light bar with the 2 extra driving lights that’s also standard on the Vintage but not the classic, so if you have the light bar you have the spools that the windshield mounts to, if not they need to be added.

Either way, the mounting hardware that bolts to the windshield is actually rather pricey to buy, would be cheaper to buy another windshield on eBay that has all the hardware. From Indian the hardware totals over $500 by itself.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Standard equipment for 2017 Vintage lists the windshield, so if ya bought a Vintage without windshield seller pulled one over on ya.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Yes, I'm still learning! This is confirmed by the VIN as a one owner Vintage. The original owner must have sold the windshield and saddlebags before trading in at the dealer. They actually advertised it as a Classic, so they weren't trying to put anything over on people. But is is a Vintage, Thunder Black with the Vintage badging. I got a fair price anyway, about trade in value for a Classic!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw on another thread that you had a set of tan saddlebags? I'm in Greenville, SC. You are in Georgia? How much do you want for the bags?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts