Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Currently Forum Members can use coupon code FRM51716 at checkout to receive a 10% discount.
Motherwell..
Thanks for the coupon!!

Regarding the flat rack... how much distance is between the seat/seat rail and the front of the rack? I have a 4" bag attached to the seat rail and I'm hoping there's space.

Cheers,
D-Man

·
Registered
949 Posts
@D-Man here you go, give you a good idea Motherwell Removable Rack on 2015 Chief Vintage

I have aeromachs rack that attaches to seat and hole in fender. While it is nice and pretty, this is WAY more convenient and I can actually bring a good size bag with me. I am definitely getting one. I like the look of the curve, but the flat is way more practical. Like...3" more width and just .5" length or so.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Any chance of a rack to go behind an OEM back rest on a classic? Am not a fan of the OEM offering.
Maybe it's out there and I just missed it....
We are currently working on getting stock done for the racks for the Chief Models and the new racks for the Chieftain, Roadmaster and Springfield model but could look into doing this in the future!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Love it.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is beautiful. Well done.

·
Rider
1,225 Posts
I was just on your website. Do you have plans for one that will fit the Chieftain?

BD

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I was just on your website. Do you have plans for one that will fit the Chieftain?

BD
Hoping one for the Chieftain, too.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hoping one for the Chieftain, too.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
The MWL-630 for the Chieftain, Roadmaster, and Springfield is in production now. We should have a few chrome flat racks in stock this week and the matte and gloss black in the next week or two. The rack will be available in both flat and curved like the MWL-625 for the Chief models. The part number will be MWL-630 (curved) and MWL-630-FLAT!

·
Rider
1,225 Posts
The MWL-630 for the Chieftain, Roadmaster, and Springfield is in production now. We should have a few chrome flat racks in stock this week and the matte and gloss black in the next week or two. The rack will be available in both flat and curved like the MWL-625 for the Chief models. The part number will be MWL-630 (curved) and MWL-630-FLAT!

Well, I've gotta say, you guys at Motherwell are one great company to work with ! ! ! I saw your response on the 26th and sent an email to see about ordering one. I ordered the flat one in matte black to go along with paint on my Dark Horse.

I worked with Bre and she was fantastic ! ! !

She kept in constant contact with me and went (what I consider to be) over and above. She knew that I was on a bit of a deadline because I really wanted the rack by Oct. 6th because I was headed up to the Indian Summer Ride on the 7th.

She emailed on Tuesday (the 4th) to tell me the rack was done and that I could have it overnighted if I wanted to pay the difference. I declined because I'd been burned by overnight shipping in the past and was never able to get a refund on the shipping.

I don't know if you guys ended up paying the difference or if the was just dumb luck, but I got the rack just in time to load up for the trip.

The fit was perfect. It looks like it came with the bike. I love that it comes right off when I'm not using it so that I can still have the clean lines I wanted when I bought the DH.

Like I told Bre in my last email, I'm just sorry that you there's nothing else I can buy from you guys ! ! !

BD

Reactions: 6816

·
Premium Member
322 Posts

Hey all,
This recent conversation from another Indian forum might help on the spool question. Not sure if everyone in the discussion is active on this forum but the info seems to be consistent. Names are omitted to protect the innocent. - Jim
The spool diameter on the Chieftain and Roadmaster is bigger than that of the Chief and Vintage. That's why there are two part numbers for the Indian brand passenger backrest. Not a huge obstacle, but one that needs addressing, none the less.
I know the Scout spools are a different size than the Chief but am not aware of any d/b the size of spools for the Chief (s). Could be that the backrest itself is different for the Road master and Chieftain what with the armrests and larger back support. Spools are an easy swap out between models if it's necessary.
Trust me, they are different. I work at a dealership. I'll explain later.

Ok, I got out my digital caliper and took some measurements. The spools have a black plastic sleeve that goes over them for the passenger backrest. They come standard on the Vintage and Roadmaster models. You have to add them to the Chieftain, and they come with the spools when you put them on the Dark Horse and Classic.

The Chief spools measure 28mm Outer Diameter and 19mm Inner Diameter. The soft bag pins measure a little over 18mm non-compressed.

The Chieftain/Roadmaster spools measure 32mm Outer Diameter and 20mm inner diameter. The hard bag pins measure almost 20mm non-compressed.

If you were to buy a passenger backrest for a Chieftain, it would fit on a Vintage, but, would wiggle around. You can not put a Vintage backrest on a Chieftain. If you change out the spools, then you must change out the bag pins as well.
Interesting. Thanks for the specs and additional info. Much appreciated!
I wonder why they didn't make everything standard? It would cut down on confusion, overhead, inventory, etc.
We've been wondering that since the beginning too. I'm no engineer, but, I can't imagine a good reason why they did it that way.
In summary, another rack for the Chieftain might be needed. Label racks for the Chief (Dark Horse, Classic, Vintage) as required.
Good information here as I just received some spools and measurements verify what I was looking for.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks, for the response, Bre.

What people who ride long distances need is something like this Harley product,
but designed to sit squarely above the rear fender like your rack.

Many of the larger bags are @ 11" wide and sag badly over almost all stock
tail racks. The more they sag and are constantly tightened, the worse the
sag becomes.. catch 22..

What we need is something about 11" wide and about 14-16 inches long with
a FRONT lip and a couple side rings much like on the HD rack in the link
that could be used to secure loads.

Like Enzo5000, I'd be very interested in something like that.

King H-D Detachables Two-Up Luggage Rack
This has nothing to do with a rack, but it does has something to do with the quuick release apparatus. I have a Chief Classic with QR sissy bar/backrest and am interested in adding hand holds to each side of the QR portion, sort of like the rack extensions to the sides of the HD rack shown. Could you add something like that to an existing sissybar? The one I have is chrome and would like it all in chrome when done. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Motherwell, really like your detachable racks for Chieftain. Wondering, if rack MWL-625B FLAT (Matte) will fit my 2017 Chieftain, on which I mounted a Corbin Brave saddle (similar to pic from their website). If rack is too flat, would it be possible to order a customized part with rack set up a bit higher? Since I only use a rack when travelling with more lugagge, it has to be detachable. Thx from Switzerland.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi Motherwell, really like your detachable racks for Chieftain. Wondering, if rack MWL-625B FLAT (Matte) will fit my 2017 Chieftain, on which I mounted a Corbin Brave saddle (similar to pic from their website). If rack is too flat, would it be possible to order a customized part with rack set up a bit higher? Since I only use a rack when travelling with more lugagge, it has to be detachable. Thx from Switzerland.
I have one of the curved ones and I can say that there isn't enough room between the fender and the rack to get your hand under there to clean--so it's a pretty tight fit. Should be a little more space under the flat rack, at least at the front and back edge.

I will say that it is a good quality rack, very well made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one of the curved ones and I can say that there isn't enough room between the fender and the rack to get your hand under there to clean--so it's a pretty tight fit. Should be a little more space under the flat rack, at least at the front and back edge.

I will say that it is a good quality rack, very well made.
Thx for your reply, from the pics I saw here and in the net, the curved one would definitely only work with no back seat at all - but in this combination really a cool option. From everything I read I believe the racks are from good quality. I wonder whether with the flat rack, enough space for the small brave corbin saddle cushion would be left. Does anyone know more or has tried the flat rack in this combination yet?

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good Morning!

Thank you for your message. You are right about the tight fit with the corbin saddle. We do sometimes work with customers to customize racks, but usually only when it's something we can make production when there is enough demand.

We have model MWL-630-FLAT (Indian Chieftain, Roadmaster, & Springfield Luggage Rack - FLAT) which is specifically made to fit the Chieftan, but we don't know the seat configuration to be able to tell you for sure if it will fit. If you can send us pictures of your bike and maybe even measurements, we can possibly give you a better answer as to whether or not it might fit.

Thanks again,
Bernadette - Motherwell Products

41 - 60 of 66 Posts