Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I REALLY like this rack. If I hadn't just gotten another make rack for my DH, I'd be all over this one.
Still going to keep it in mind for the future.

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bre
Is it possible to get a photo of it on the bike without the windshield bag attached so see how it interacts with the saddle, what the gap looks like, etc. some of us have back rests and would love to see how it looks with them.
Thanks
Ps do you supply Australia direct or do you have a dealer here?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I really dig the fact you have developed the rack to be easily removed. That is a big plus......One that would fit the larger Chieftain spools would be cool. I use a Chieftain backrest on my Vintage and initially I didn't even know it, and hear others do as well. I never had problems with the somewhat lose fit and thought it was normal. There have been a few threads about this so it must be a common mistake, That said, if a thicker Chieftain spool bushing could be made that would slip over the Vintage spools to allow the use of the rack with the Chieftain or Vintage you would have something.
Backrest 6.jpg

For me, as it stands now a big down side of the rack, is that it is not compatible with the passenger backrest (which I use without the pad as a sissy bar). If you could develop a rack that would incorporate a sissy bar, you would have something else entirely and I dare say a possible hit on your hands, Maybe there is a market for two racks.....one with and one without the sissy bar. Maybe even take it a step further in making a removable sissy bar option?
Oh and I am also on the flat rack bandwagon for the reasons others have voiced.
IMG_20150529_154501_971b.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Still having trouble w/ the 3rd ****. I'll try again later. Just to clarify, there's about 3 1/2" between the rack and the seat w/o the handlebar bag. - Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
These photos are great, they show exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much! Really appreciate your effort.

May I ask why the 4 inch gap. Would it get in the way if it was up to the seat? Or is it pointless to have the rack that far up to the seat. I'm guessing the latter as the bag would be tied off further back on the rack.

I do like the look of the curve to stay in line with the "bobber" look of the back mud guard!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
This is the removable rack that I built for myself, since all the other available options were the size of spatulas. It's 12 inches wide and 24 inches long, built on the base of a backrest. It holds everything I could need for a few weeks of camping. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is the removable rack that I built for myself, since all the other available options were the size of spatulas. It's 12 inches wide and 24 inches long, built on the base of a backrest. It holds everything I could need for a few weeks of camping. :)

You are very talented with steel. That is a lovely job. How do you get it off and on?? What is the connection to the bike?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the curved solo rack on my Honda's. I routinely carry a TBag strapped to the rack. That bag weighs approximately 40lbs when we go for weeks trip. I have never had an issue with it in the seven years I have been using it. The curve matches the flow of the bike spot on, it's a well made, nice looking product!
I have a T-Bag also, that works great with this rack. I've notice that the curve on the rack acts as a lip to help hold the bag, (IMO).
Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You are very talented with steel. That is a lovely job. How do you get it off and on?? What is the connection to the bike?
Thanks for the compliment.
It mounts exactly like the Indian quick release sissy bar. In fact, I cut one up and used the mounting part as the base. The rack is made from stainless, and coated with truck bed liner so that things don't slide around on it, and to be easy to touch up when it gets scratched.

·
Registered
63 Posts
These photos are great, they show exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much! Really appreciate your effort.

May I ask why the 4 inch gap. Would it get in the way if it was up to the seat? Or is it pointless to have the rack that far up to the seat. I'm guessing the latter as the bag would be tied off further back on the rack.

I do like the look of the curve to stay in line with the "bobber" look of the back mud guard!

Thanks again.
No problem ****. The space between rack and seat is closer to 3 1/2". This rack is a finished prototype that Motherwell's fabricated. Kelly may be able to "adjust" certain features but you should talk to he or Bre directly. The rack / seat spacing works well for me with the bag mounted. The spacing should work well with a seat rail. I change up the bike from time to time, one up, two up, bags, no bags, etc.., and may add a seat rail without the small bag. That was the logic behind the spacing. Now ya know all my secrets. - Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
No problem ****. The space between rack and seat is closer to 3 1/2". This rack is a finished prototype that Motherwell's fabricated. Kelly may be able to "adjust" certain features but you should talk to he or Bre directly. The rack / seat spacing works well for me with the bag mounted. The spacing should work well with a seat rail. I change up the bike from time to time, one up, two up, bags, no bags, etc.., and may add a seat rail without the small bag. That was the logic behind the spacing. Now ya know all my secrets. - Jim
Of course the seat rail! Thanks mate

·
Registered
112 Posts
Any chance of a rack to go behind an OEM back rest on a classic? Am not a fan of the OEM offering.
Maybe it's out there and I just missed it....

21 - 40 of 66 Posts