Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now Available!

Detachable luggage rack for 2014- Up Indian Chief Classic, Chief Dark Horse, and Chief Vintage models (excludes Chieftan).

Our newest detachable luggage rack for the Indian Chief models carefully hugs the curve of your fender providing a streamlined appearance. Durability is provided with the frame being composed of 1/2" steel and inner rails from 3/8" steel. Each piece is hand polished, and then chromed or powder coated to a show quality finish. The mounting system provides simple installation to the saddle bag spools with the use of a spring loaded latch. Staying true to our signature style, looks & durability both played an important role in creating this piece. We guarantee whether taking advantage of the 7" wide x 11 1/2' long carrying surface, or simply having it as a show piece on the back of your bike you will feel good knowing that the lines of your bike are not being compromised.

All Motherwell Products luggage racks are proudly Made in the USA!

With a retail price of $203.95 USD, the rack is available in chrome, matte black, and gloss black finishes.

Attachments

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wish you had made this flatter.

The way this is designed luggage will slope backward... :(
Mike,

We were trying to find a happy medium between the curve of the fender and the curve of the rack that would appeal to a large audience. The rear lip should keep luggage from slipping towards the rear but if you would prefer one that was completely flat front to rear we would be happy to make one for you!

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,245 Posts
Coming Soon!

Pre-Order available! View attachment 29099

New detachable luggage rack for 2014- Up Indian Chief Classic, Chief Dark Horse, and Chief Vintage models (excludes Chieftan).

Our newest detachable luggage rack for the Indian Chief models carefully hugs the curve of your fender providing a streamlined appearance. Durability is provided with the frame being composed of 1/2" steel and inner rails from 3/8" steel. Each piece is hand polished, and then chromed or powder coated to a show quality finish. The mounting system provides simple installation to the saddle bag spools with the use of a spring loaded latch. Staying true to our signature style, looks & durability both played an important role in creating this piece. We guarantee whether taking advantage of the 7" wide x 11 1/2' long carrying surface, or simply having it as a show piece on the back of your bike you will feel good knowing that the lines of your bike are not being compromised.

All Motherwell Products luggage racks are proudly Made in the USA!

With a retail price of $275.00 USD, the rack will be available in chrome, matte black, and gloss black finishes. Jump to the front of the line and order today!
A flat version would be much more usable. If you made a model like that I'd be in!

·
Read Only
163 Posts
Thanks, for the response, Bre.

What people who ride long distances need is something like this Harley product,
but designed to sit squarely above the rear fender like your rack.

Many of the larger bags are @ 11" wide and sag badly over almost all stock
tail racks. The more they sag and are constantly tightened, the worse the
sag becomes.. catch 22..

What we need is something about 11" wide and about 14-16 inches long with
a FRONT lip and a couple side rings much like on the HD rack in the link
that could be used to secure loads.

Like Enzo5000, I'd be very interested in something like that.

King H-D Detachables Two-Up Luggage Rack

·
Registered
792 Posts
From what I understand the difference on the Chieftain as opposed to the other chief models is the size of the spools? Is this correct? What are the size of the spools for the Chieftain model?
Yes I believe the spools are larger. Living in Minnesota, my ride is put away for a few months and is inaccessible until spring. I have your solo racks on my Honda's and love the looks. The Indian model is ugly in my opinion. I've never had issues with the curved rack on my Honda's.

·
Read Only
163 Posts
Apparently the number of people who have openly disliked the highly curved rack caught Motherwell's
attention and they have now said that they will also offer it FLAT with the same dimensions and I have
pre-ordered one as of this morning.

Thanks to Motherwell for listening to their customers! [woot]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Apparently the number of people who have openly disliked the highly curved rack caught Motherwell's
attention and they have now said that they will also offer it FLAT with the same dimensions and I have

Mike, that's just crazy talk! Vendors listening to customer needs and making what they want! Where will it lead to! OMG what's to stop me buying this stuff! ;). We've been tricked!

Well done Bre and team, great to have you working on this. And, just a tip, it would be sensible if you made the bottom module (curved lazer cut steel with clips) a modular part because I could see me wanting the bottom bit to work say a flat rack or a curved rack or a seat back or, etc. opens a nice little market of additional parts.
I like what you have done.

Mick

·
Registered
63 Posts

Mike at least we agree Motherwell's listens to the customer! Kelly and Bre are great to work with. I'm sure they will build you a rack to your liking.

Just to set the record straight for those undecided on the curved rack vs. the flat rack, you and I clearly disagree. The bike pictured, displaying the Motherwell rack is mine. There are several locations for tie down/shock cords. Large bags fit across the rack and on top of the saddle bags. The rack lip retains the cargo and the rack lines blend with the fender when not loaded. To each their own but the rack works well for any purpose I need.
Also, the small bag mounted behind the solo seat is great for easy access incidentals. No need to get into the saddlebags during a long ride. My 2 cents... - Jim

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have the curved solo rack on my Honda's. I routinely carry a TBag strapped to the rack. That bag weighs approximately 40lbs when we go for weeks trip. I have never had an issue with it in the seven years I have been using it. The curve matches the flow of the bike spot on, it's a well made, nice looking product!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes I believe the spools are larger. Living in Minnesota, my ride is put away for a few months and is inaccessible until spring. I have your solo racks on my Honda's and love the looks. The Indian model is ugly in my opinion. I've never had issues with the curved rack on my Honda's.

Hey all,
This recent conversation from another Indian forum might help on the spool question. Not sure if everyone in the discussion is active on this forum but the info seems to be consistent. Names are omitted to protect the innocent. - Jim
The spool diameter on the Chieftain and Roadmaster is bigger than that of the Chief and Vintage. That's why there are two part numbers for the Indian brand passenger backrest. Not a huge obstacle, but one that needs addressing, none the less.
I know the Scout spools are a different size than the Chief but am not aware of any d/b the size of spools for the Chief (s). Could be that the backrest itself is different for the Road master and Chieftain what with the armrests and larger back support. Spools are an easy swap out between models if it's necessary.
Trust me, they are different. I work at a dealership. I'll explain later.

Ok, I got out my digital caliper and took some measurements. The spools have a black plastic sleeve that goes over them for the passenger backrest. They come standard on the Vintage and Roadmaster models. You have to add them to the Chieftain, and they come with the spools when you put them on the Dark Horse and Classic.

The Chief spools measure 28mm Outer Diameter and 19mm Inner Diameter. The soft bag pins measure a little over 18mm non-compressed.

The Chieftain/Roadmaster spools measure 32mm Outer Diameter and 20mm inner diameter. The hard bag pins measure almost 20mm non-compressed.

If you were to buy a passenger backrest for a Chieftain, it would fit on a Vintage, but, would wiggle around. You can not put a Vintage backrest on a Chieftain. If you change out the spools, then you must change out the bag pins as well.
Interesting. Thanks for the specs and additional info. Much appreciated!
I wonder why they didn't make everything standard? It would cut down on confusion, overhead, inventory, etc.
We've been wondering that since the beginning too. I'm no engineer, but, I can't imagine a good reason why they did it that way.
In summary, another rack for the Chieftain might be needed. Label racks for the Chief (Dark Horse, Classic, Vintage) as required.

·
Read Only
163 Posts

Mike at least we agree Motherwell's listens to the customer! Kelly and Bre are great to work with. I'm sure they will build you a rack to your liking.

Just to set the record straight for those undecided on the curved rack vs. the flat rack, you and I clearly disagree. The bike pictured, displaying the Motherwell rack is mine. There are several locations for tie down/shock cords. Large bags fit across the rack and on top of the saddle bags. The rack lip retains the cargo and the rack lines blend with the fender when not loaded. To each their own but the rack works well for any purpose I need.
Also, the small bag mounted behind the solo seat is great for easy access incidentals. No need to get into the saddlebags during a long ride. My 2 cents... - Jim
As several others beside me have noted, a FLAT rack carries luggage better, especially the semi-rigid type sold all over the internet.

I'm glad you like your rack and that it suits your needs, but please stop trying to convince the rest of us that a humped rack works as well as flat..
it doesn't.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts