Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I took a look at my front brake pads, and noticed that they are getting close to being completely worn and are likely ready for replacement (no squeaking or grinding yet, so not an emergency). I would prefer to do my own maintenance, but haven't worked on a motorcycle's brakes before. I am very experienced in changing out 4-wheel vehicles (car/truck) and I am thinking that this should be just as easy.

That being said, I took a closer look at the front brakes and see that this should be quite easy to complete, since everything is fairly accessible and out in the open. However, the rear brakes might be a bit more difficult and may require the removal of the rear fender?

Now, the point of posting this thread:

Does anyone have any information that might be helpful before starting down this path? Or any pointers or tips for completing this, and experiencing the least amount of roadblocks? Any particular brands of replacements to avoid? Anything that should be changed out while I am doing this (rotor, etc.)? Special tools?

Any information would be helpful, and I can try to take some pictures to post for anyone else that might want to attempt this same endeavor in the future.

·
Senior member / gold
6,974 Posts
It's all pretty straight forward. Remove the fender skirts covering the the calipers. Take a couple of screwdrivers and gently push in the Pistons and pads. Unbolt the retainer and clip. Take note which way the clip goes in. Pull out the old pads, and slide in the new ones. If the pad closest to you slides down to far you will need to pull the calipers loose to unjam it. It's not a big deal, so don't stress out! For someone experienced, it's a quick job. For me, it took me about 3 hours, because I was not sure of myself. Ideally, it is about an hours worth of work. Before I put on the covers I pumped up the brakes and rode around the neighborhood and made a number of panic stops to make sure the brakes functioned as designed. Pulled back into the garage and reinstalled the covers. Pretty easy job for a novice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts