Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the bike for a while and want to get some work done to it. I was first going to buy the stage 1 and stage 2 from Indian's website along with Freedom's dual headers and slip-on. The dealer that I bought the bike from is 3 hours away charging me 3.5 hours for all that. The one 45 minutes away is quoting me 8-10 hours for the same work.

Reading on the forums before spending all that money, saw many posts that the OEM aren't all that great. Doing some research I came across the items below. Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments or whatever, or if I'm missing something.

Lloyd'z: Indian Performance Air Cleaner (Stock Cover) | LLOYD'Z Motor Workz
Lloyd'z Performance Indian Motorcycle Cams | LLOYD'Z Motor Workz
Freedom Performance True Dual Headers For Indian 2014-2019 | 10% ($75.00) Off! - RevZilla
Freedom Performance 4" Slip-On Mufflers For Indian 2014-2019 | 10% ($70.00) Off! - RevZilla

There's a shop nearby that will install and tune it with the proper PV3. It's a 16 Chieftain, all stock at the moment.

Thanks.

·
Bronze member
1,448 Posts
The round Indian stg1 air filter is the better way to go, the Lloydz filter still has the restriction of the stock intake as a whole.

Definitely go with the Lloydz cams as the Indian stg2 cams do not make as much power. The 558's will be a better match with the True Duals

RACNRAY.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
If you want a good canned tune, maybe copy someones setup like Craig, or talk to Dynojet or Fuelmoto and ask for specs on a bike that they have dyno tuned and made good power and copy that. I know Craig really likes his voodoo setup and the clear front looks neat. If mine didn't come used with all the stage 1 and 2 Indian products, I would be looking at a voodoo air cleaner and lloyds 558 cams. I love the true duals I have, heard they lose some low end torque. I do love the sound and looks if I were just performance only I would most likely go for an X-Pipe or Fuelmoto jackpot header. There you have it more to think about.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The aftermarket cams with higher lifts will produce more power but they all have idle issues and some reliabilities .
Do you want a solid idle , nice sound , great idle and 100% reliability ? get the Indian stage II cams , the big Indian air intake kit and the PV3 , along with the aftermarket slip - ons of your choice , be a Rush , Freedom performance or whatever .
That combo will increase your power and torque significantly , will eliminate the trottle lag completely and you`ll have a great , smooth like glass solid idle with 100% reliability and great sound .
Do the cams ,air intake and exhaust first , then you do the PV3 . You can also tell the dealer that gut out the cat converter . They have headers ready already gutted . Have it all done at the same time so you get a nice deal on the labor price .
Mine is also a 16 Chieftain

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking about installing the Lloydz Intake too, an as far as I saw by studing the installation guide, only the stock cover remains, anything else is replaced so that there is no restriction in the airflow. Like the solution of Lloydz, cause you cannot see the change of the air intake on first sight.

See attached guide

Regards Markus

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like how the Lloydz Intake air filter kit allows retention of the stock cover. Love the look on my OEM Dark Horse Smoke cover on the bike. Seems the stock cover provide better rain protection over some of the open filter covers too. I will often be putting on hundreds of miles a day in the pouring rain.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like how the Lloydz Intake air filter kit allows retention of the stock cover. Love the look on my OEM Dark Horse Smoke cover on the bike. Seems the stock cover provide better rain protection over some of the open filter covers too. I will often be putting on hundreds of miles a day in the pouring rain.
This is a matter of personal taste . If depends on what you like , so you choose the one that you think would work and look better .
I personally didn`t like the factory cover so I went with the big Indian air in black . It is all metal , no plastic , looks great to me , doesn`t protrude much out ,so it has protection vs rain and the intake flow is 360 all around .
2016 Chieftain with Stage II cams , Thunderstroke air intake , gutted header cat converter , Rush War Horse 4" slip-ons with 3" baffles , low suspension kit , PVCX , etc, etc ... 4,925 miles on it.

·
Bronze member
1,702 Posts
Craig solved the idle tuning issues for the 558 & 585's a good while back. There is no reason to get Indian S2 over 558, unless you are concerned about the warranty. 558 is superior in every way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The aftermarket cams with higher lifts will produce more power but they all have idle issues and some reliabilities .
Do you want a solid idle , nice sound , great idle and 100% reliability ? get the Indian stage II cams , the big Indian air intake kit and the PV3 , along with the aftermarket slip - ons of your choice , be a Rush , Freedom performance or whatever .
That combo will increase your power and torque significantly , will eliminate the trottle lag completely and you`ll have a great , smooth like glass solid idle with 100% reliability and great sound .
Do the cams ,air intake and exhaust first , then you do the PV3 . You can also tell the dealer that gut out the cat converter . They have headers ready already gutted . Have it all done at the same time so you get a nice deal on the labor price .
The Lloydz cams absolutely do not have idle issues. I have 558 cams in my bike. The idle I pretty much the same as stock. You would be very hard pressed to tell my bike doesn’t have stock cams just by the idle.

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
Idle issues?? Not with CraigB around.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I think the idle issues are with the Indian stage 2 tune. Once I went to a PVCX problem went away.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Take a look at the Bassani true duals, equal length pipes design and sounds good. I have a Arlen Ness 90 degree intake, Bassani true dual exhuast, and Fuel Moto tune. Good power, MPGs sem to improve, and sounds good. I have a few video on youtube, see link in signature if you want to hear how it sounds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
All Lloydz Stage II package on both of my bikes w/558's both run Great! All the work and tuning done in IA at Runway/Vic Shop. If within riding/trailering distance strongly suggest making the trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts