Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 scout 60 no abs. I want to put the black apes on it.

The Indian website is confusing. Are the mini apes and apes the same bars? It looks like black mini apes are 8" rise for scout and black apes are 10" rise. The descriptions aren't
very good.

Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. Thanks

·
Rider
767 Posts
Video below is a 60 with no ABS , I linked the Black Apes:

Ease Of Installation Install in place of stock handlebars using stock cables & controls (Scout® and Scout® Sixty only)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The mini apes are smaller and you will not need to replace your cables. With the apes you need to replace all cables, or so the story goes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am off the next few days. Guess I will make the trip to the dealer. Will respond with what they say.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,803 Posts
I have the black ones on my 2019 Scout ABS Icon. The dealer installed mine so not sure what they did with the brake line. All I can say is they made a great improvement in my riding posture & comfort.

·
Rider
767 Posts
I installed 10 inch Mercenary FMB Chopper Mini Apes on my 2017 Indian Scout 60 and used stock cables. No predrilled holes for the housings. But that is easily done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. I'D be careful with "what they say". They told me I needed cables when I did mine. They were wrong.
Yes even at the dealer it was confusing. They had a 2020 scout bobber on the floor with the black 10" apes.

I sat on it. It felt like what I want. I neglected to look and see if it was ABS. The help person showed me one set of black 10" apes in the catalog.
So evidently the mini apes and 10" apes are the same.We even measured the rise on the showroom model and it was 10".

There was only one set of black apes for the scout in the catalog.

However, when you look online at Indian Brand black apes for scout there is one set that says it does not fit abs and one set that does if you get the kit AND they are 2 different part numbers LOL.

I ordered the 10" Indian brand black apes that do not fit ABS as my 2016 does not have ABS.

When I get them I will install them and post the results along with the part number. I am not going to do bar end mirrors. I am going to find short black rectangular shaped mirrors instead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the description says they dont work with bar end mirrors yet the showroom model with them had bar end mirrors....like I said it's confusing lol

I will see what I get when they show up

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed the bars this morning. No problem with cables and wires reaching. They are plenty long. I took a pic of the apes vs stock bars so you can see difference in pullback and bend. stock bars are on bottom
20200912_095214.jpg
20200912_095206.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts