Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
1,259 Posts
re: "All for charity" -there are people/companies that hold events which are technically for-profit organizations which in turn may donate to bona fide 501(c)(3) organizations. The originating organization putting on the event is likely privately held and thus won't have public records (990 forms) showing donations, but the receiving organizations will have the info on their 990 filings -if one were so inclined to go hunt for it.

It's always a good thing to be skeptical of "charity" events and even charitable organizations. I think we've all read or seen reports about how little money some charities actually receive from fund raising events or 3rd party fund-raisers. Now, if this event is one which shares part of its profits w/ charities and keep the other part of profits so it can continue on and attendees find it enjoyable, then why not. But it's just a big ol' dupe, then someone likely will end up with some unwanted attention.

I mean, Jake and Elwood were on a mission from God, yet they weren't a non-profit organization. When they rec'd $10k, only half went to their mission from God, $1,400 went to a music store, and the rest to cover staff expenses.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Limited
64 Posts
I went to this event back in 2016 when I purchased my very first Indian motorcycle. Art (previous owner of the Indian dealership in St Paul-MN) is certainly passionate about Indian motorcycles, and he has had his share of bad publicity, but the bike week he sponsored was fun and we got to meet a few celebrities from the SOA. Polaris and Indian are certainly corporate in their business approach, so I have more appreciation for an independent motorcycle event such as this one, where Indian motorcycle riders can get together and just have a good time. The Stillwater (MN) and western Wisconsin area is beautiful countryside and makes for a great bike ride. I wish lots of success for the event this year!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had registered for one of these - think it was '19 - didn't get there, so no t-shirt (just wasted $100).
I was considering attending this year, but if Arturo is still involved I'll stay home (or ride somewhere else). He's well-known around here for living large, and expecting someone else to foot the bill.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Limited
64 Posts
I had registered for one of these - think it was '19 - didn't get there, so no t-shirt (just wasted $100).
I was considering attending this year, but if Arturo is still involved I'll stay home (or ride somewhere else). He's well-known around here for living large, and expecting someone else to foot the bill.
Art is still running this event.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,961 Posts
Still running it? It's his obsession ... Never ending joke

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can't believe I didn't realize this was going on in my backyard. Was at the gym this afternoon in Dresser when I saw a huge line of Indian bikes ride by. Went back to the shop and saw the same group of bikers ride by. Later on my buddy came in the shop saying I missed out on the Indian bike ride :ROFLMAO: . I'll for sure have to participate next year and sponsor as well. Ride safe guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You were warned
It's sad and infuriating when people do this. Guess it's time someone else steps up to the plate and organizes an actual real charity event? The turnout and people coming from all corners of the states (including some overseas) proves that it's definitely a worthwhile event.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What’s worse in my opinion! Some of us who knew this event and charity from the beginning were threatened had our comments restricted because we tried to warn fellow riders about the scam. We were doing so since 2017.
That's really messed up! Everyone who knew and assisted are just as guilty of the crimes. It's a shame to see this happen in my area as we are close-knit communities that are always taking care of each other.

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,961 Posts
Rolly is correct. The info has been out there for all to see the last 5.5 years. Hundreds knew and stayed away from it. But every year, more roll in blissfully ignorant of it all, or .. simply believed the bs spewed by him. Those folks probably also believe the "celebrities'" do it all for charity. Nope... they are paid to come act for the weekend. Folks that were on the Charities board knew better, and were 'complicit'. This guy still owes tens of thousands for lawsuits . Funny part is .. I bet he still does this next year , but with no charity angle. Anyone ever wonder what happened to the motorcycle(s) that were supposed to be raffled off last week? Anyone.. Anyone?

Attorney General Ellison shuts down mismanaged Welch Charities

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well now that Indian Bike Week 2022 is over can those that went tell us about it. Did you like it, hate it, were any world records broke, please tell us about your experience. I hope it was fantastic, since I am very seriously thinking about going in 2023.

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,961 Posts
Well now that Indian Bike Week 2022 is over can those that went tell us about it. Did you like it, hate it, were any world records broke, please tell us about your experience. I hope it was fantastic, since I am very seriously thinking about going in 2023.
One piece of advice. Don't upset the guy's ego or he'll attack YOU on Social Media. .. your SPOUSE if you are married, attempt to get you fired from your employer, will call you racist from every conceivable angle and smear your name as he stalks you year after year. Well, at least that's what I've seen him try to do to probably a dozen or so folks.

But.... I'm sure 95% of the people attending enjoy each other's company.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts